Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Randomness  by Elanor Silmariën

~Elanor and Niphredil~

The sun is shining in a dapple pattern through the trees as we walk through Fangorn Forest. I breathe in the smell of clean air and growing things, a smell that never reaches the walled city of Gondor, or even in the halls of Edoras.

I stop to survey the tall ancient trees and see a few Ents coming to meet with Treebeard. Ah, the simple joy Elves get from living plants and living things!

Gimli may never understand, as I will never comprehend his love of rock and stone. Boromir never understood either. And Aragorn, though he understood, did not enjoy the trees and animals as much as I. Sam, on the other hand… Sam understood. I remember many evenings discussing the plant life of the Shire, showing him Elvish plants, teaching him how to better care for them. And I know Frodo was watching as well, but he was too preoccupied to want to pay enough attention.

I smile, remembering the look on Sam’s face when I slipped him a packet of elanor and Niphredil seeds to plant at home, to restore the Shire to beauty.

I breathe deeply, then turn to my companion. “So, Gimli, you’ve seen Fangorn. What do you think?”

The dwarf grunts. “It’s nicer when you’re not afraid of it,” he admits. “The trees are kind of nice…”

I smile at him. “I see you’re finally starting to come around.”

He frowns. “I never said that!” he defends himself. “Come on, Legolas, let’s find something to eat.”

~The End~

 





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List