Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Stories Beyond the Havens-Part II  by Elanor Silmariën

When the first light of dawn rose, Frodo reached out to grab Sam’s hand, and said, “I’m so tired, Sam.”

“It’s all right, Frodo. I’m here,” Sam replied.

“I love you, Sam. Thank you for everything,” Frodo said, his voice getting quieter with every word.

“I did everything I could for you, Frodo. Only you,” Sam answered.

“I’m lucky to have known you, Samwise Gamgee,” Frodo whispered.

“And I you, Frodo,” Sam replied, affectionately pushing a silver curl out of his eyes.


Frodo made one last effort to rise, and kissed his best friends forehead, then lay down, his head in Sam’s lap. He reached up to touch Sam’s face, and said, “Goodbye Sam.” Then he closed his eyes, and breathed his last.

Gandalf walked over next to Sam and put a hand on his shoulder. “There’s nothing more we can do for him, Sam. He’s finally whole.”

Sam nodded. “Yes, he is. What do we do now, Gandalf?”

“Now we celebrate Frodo’s victory!” Gandalf exclaimed.

Mel glanced up at the wizard. She didn’t feel like celebrating, and didn’t exactly understand the point of it.

* * *

Later that evening Lord Elrond found the girl sitting in the garden on one of Frodo’s favorite benches, near a cluster of golden elanor flowers.

“Are you all right, Melda?” Elrond asked, sitting beside her. “What is troubling you?”

Mel shook her head. “What is the point of living for a being who is only going to leave?” she asked.

Elrond watched as her gaze fell on the flowers again.

“They were his favorites. He said his niece was named after them,” Mel said, suddenly off subject.

Elrond carefully pulled a dead blossom off the plant and said, “The reason for Frodo’s life, however short it seemed to you, was to help restore beauty to this world, like this flower. It is here for a little while, to grace us with its presence, then it must leave to make room for others to come after it.”

“But why did it have to be him?” she asked.

“That I can’t answer. For whatever reason he was chosen for this. He wasn’t immortal, and never would have been,” Elrond said. “He wouldn’t want you to grieve.” He elder elf touched Mel’s head, and said, “Now come, we must have food prepared or be ready to lose another hobbit from starvation.”

Mel smiled. “I’ll be there in a moment,” she said glancing back at the flowers. “I’ll be all right, Uncle.”

Elrond rose and left the girl to her thoughts.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List