Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Stories Beyond the Havens-Part II  by Elanor Silmariën

Sam was waiting for Mel in the common dining hall of the elven palace. His eyes were red, as if he’d been crying, but his face was calm and peaceful.

Mel rubbed his shoulders, and said, “Are you all right, Sam dear?”

Sam nodded. “I will be.” He looked out across the sea and said, “I’ll be joining him soon enough. But not yet.”

Mel sat down beside him and grabbed a piece of bread from the basket. She began chewing it thoughtfully.

“He won’t forget you, Mel. You were his closest friend here,” Sam told her.

“Other than you, you mean,” Mel reminded him. Then she shook her head, and said, “You were more like his brother.”

Sam smiled. “Yes. He was like my brother. I am happy for him, though.”

There was silence for a moment, then Mel said, “So am I.”

* * *

A few weeks later, Mel found Sam sitting against the trunk of a tree growing along the beach, watching the sky over Middle-earth growing darker.

She stood still a moment, then knelt down to sit by him and said, “Are you leaving us too?”

Sam was quiet a moment, then said, “I am.”

“Here? Now?”

Sam nodded. “I believe so. Don’t look so sad, please? Neither Frodo or me like that,” he told her, smiling briefly. “I won’t forget you, Mel. But Rosie and Frodo are waiting for me.”

Mel glanced out across the sea, then back to Sam, and pulled him into her arms. “I will never forget you either. Namarie, mellon nin.” And as she said this, he relaxed, and was gone.

Mel felt tears coming into her eyes, and she bent her head over Sam’s body, trying to hide it.

“He has joined Frodo at last, then,” Gandalf said, coming up behind her.

Mel glanced up at the wizard and said, “I’m afraid so. I do wish they could have lived forever, but I suppose it is better this way.” She allowed Gandalf to lift Sam’s body, and carry him away to be buried, but she did not join him. She sat staring out across the sea, and wondered about the other mortals there.

She knew that Sam and Frodo were now reunited with their loved ones, and for the first time, she felt happy for them, rather than sad for herself.

Then she rose and followed the path back to the city.

The End





<< Back

        

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List