Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

A Healer of Hearts  by Frodo Baggins

A/N: Well, here's the next chapter. So far this story has been book canon, but in this chapter, Frodo makes one comment that referrs to something that happened in the movie. It dosen't change the plot or anything, it's just a little detail that I thought was very sweet, and that enhanced the strong bond the cousins had. I'll just let you read and find out.

"You’re not excited, Merry?" Halmir asked. This was one of those glorious moments when Halmir’s head bandage could be removed to allow his eyes to get used to the light gradually. He treasured these brief instances.

"No, Halmir. I’m not excited. Really...I’m scared. The message from Strider was urgent. Apparently, the Eagles barely save Frodo and Sam. Pippin was gravely wounded in the battle. They...they may all be beyond even his aid. I have to see them, Halmir. He didn’t say, but I don’t think Aragorn expects any of them to live."

Halmir blinked back tears. "Oh...oh Merry! I’m dreadfully sorry! Please...go. Go, Merry, and give Pip my regards. And Frodo and Sam as well." Halmir smiled at Merry. They both knew that Merry more than likely would not say anything to his cousins and friend, but it sounded hopeful.

Merry smiled back. "I’ll do what I can, Hal. You get well now, do you hear?"

Halmir nodded and Merry took his leave. The wounded lad watched his small, valiant comrade leave. He looked down at his wounded leg, and right arm. His wounds were so bad, he was not allowed to move. This was the same bed he had awaken in when he came back to consciousness after the battle. He wasn’t even allowed to be taken out to the gardens on a litter.

The Healers would not answer questions about his future. But Halmir heard the whispers, and knew that whatever else happened, one thing was certain. His right arm would never be the same again. Halmir knew he had no family back in Rohan, and had no desire to return to the painful memories. No, right now, he would not look far into the future. He would concentrate solely on getting well and Merry’s return.

*~*~*~*~*

Things were happening. The Steward now resumed his duties. He had come into his new office only to prepare for one to replace him. It had been five weeks since the Dark Lord had been cast down and Merry left. Gondor was now bursting with life. Preperations began at once for the coming of the King. Everyone was joyous and gleeful. The wounded and ill healed quickly. All except for Halmir. He was healing, but the process was painfully slow. How could it take so long? And why no, when he should be out and about helping prepare for the king Gondor had been waiting for?

Merry had sent posts when his cousins had woke. That was weeks ago, and Halmir had begun to worry. But yesterday, another post came. The Hobbits and the King were coming very soon to the City. They were due tomorrow, but Halmir couldn’t wait that long.

"Halmir, lad, you do understand the Ringbearer and his friends will be overwhelmed with many feasts and banquets, and more than likely, won’t be able to visit you." Miriel said to him. Halmir’s face fell. Halmir had noticed that Miriel looked very much like his sister would have at twenty one. She was very maternal, and always had time for him. Just like his sister always did. She smiled at him now, and said comfortingly, "Tis alright, lad. He’ll see you soon enough."

Halmir was not consoled. The next hours would pass torturously slow for Halmir.

*~*~*~*~*

Frodo plopped down on his bed in their new guest House. His head was throbbing. Today was spent traveling, and as soon as they had reached the City, Aragorn’s coronation was in place. And then they all proceeded to the feast. Sam could tell Frodo was not feeling well by the fourth course, and he and Frodo had been excused. Now, Frodo lay on his bed. He didn’t feel worthy of all the honor he was receiving and he found he still fatigued rather easily still. During the meal, Frodo had received hundreds of requests for his presence or attendance to one meeting or feast or another. The next few weeks would be filled to the brim. Another volley of pounding in his head, and Frodo groaned. Someone entered, bearing a cool rag that was placed on Frodo’s forehead.

"Thank you, Sam."Frodo murmured. But it wasn’t Sam.

"You alright, Fro?"

"What are you doing here, Merry? You should be at the banquet." Frodo said without opening his eyes. He knew his cousin’s voice.

"I was worried about you. Sam’s always there for you when you need him. I’m not. I wish I could have been. I know I can’t change the past, so I’m doing what I can to make it up to you."

Frodo sat up, ignoring the pounding and setting aside the rag. He took Merry’s hands in his own and looked his cousin right in the eye. "Oh Merry! You didn’t fail me. Oh, my dear, sweet Merry! How...how could even think that?" Frodo gathered his cousin in his arms as best he could, considering Merry being significantly bigger now. Frodo didn’t care. His cousin needed reasurrance, and just like he had for so many years, he was going to give it. "I never got to thank you. No, don’t act surprised. You and Pip saved my life, before I left. You’re so brave, and I’m ever so proud of you."

Merry leaned into Frodo’s embrace. Even after weeks had passed, at times, he found it hard to believe that it was all over, and everyone in the Company was alive and well. He breathed in Frodo’s scent and his mind drifted. He remembered the days when Frodo would hold him in his lap and tell him stories, or when Frodo would let him crawl into bed with him when he got scared. Frodo had always been there for him. Then he thought he had lost his beloved elder cousin. Now he was back. Safe. Secure. But changed. He thought of all he had done while Frodo was gone. He remembered joining the Rohirrim. And with a flash, he remembered Halmir.

"What is it, Mer?" Frodo asked, for Merry had jerked his head up and gasped when he recollected his friend.

"Oh, Frodo! I know you’re terribly busy...but...do you remember I told you about that lad named Halmir?"

A shadow crossed Frodo’s face, as he remembered that poor lad. "Yes."

"Well, I promised him you’d visit him...and...and...can you?" Merry looked at Frodo, expecting to find his cousin a little put out for having yet another visit on his long and growing list. But instead he found compassion and a hint of sadness.

"Tell him I’ll see him tomorrow just after elevenses."

Merry grinned at his cousin, and hugged him about the neck. "Oh, thank you! This will mean so much to him!"

Frodo chuckled. "What in Middle Earth did you tell him about me, Merry?"

Merry smiled mischievously, "A lot. But you’ll have to find out for yourself what he knows about you."

"You rascal!"But Frodo’s face fell as he uttered the last word. His headache was returning with a vengence.

"Frodo! I’m sorry. Here, you lie down, and rest a bit." Frat silently obliged. Merry snuffed out the candle and left the room. Frodo whispered, "I love you, Merry." before drifting off to sleep.

TBC....

Copy right text Frodo Baggins 2006





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List