Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

A Healer of Hearts  by Frodo Baggins

A/N: Hullo all! I must apologize for the length of time that has elapsed since my last posting. I have been working on it and reading some other author's work. I hope that my postings will come more frequently. I hope to post quite a few before I leave for Iowa for a month. Again, I apologize, but it can't be helped. Enjoy this chapter! Namarie! Frodo B

Halmir's dark brown eyes darted about the room. He had not looked at the clock in forever, so maybe he would peak at it and see how long it had been. Halmir groaned. The long hand had only moved two notches! It seemed like it had been forever since he looked at the clock last.

Halmir sighed. "But I can’t help it! I’m so…so excited! Is he never going to get here? What if he got lost? What if..."

Miriel laughed and cut him off. "Halmir, dear! So many questions! I doubt very much that the Ringbearer would get lost. He has all nine of his companions to consult, and every person in Minas Tirith would no doubt give him directions."

"Maybe so, but what if he forgot?"

"Do you honestly think his cousins would let him forget?"

"No, but..."

"Then hush, now, lad. Or you'll wear yourself out before he even gets here." Halmir settled back in resignation. He replayed in his mind everything Merry had told him that morning. Yes, Frodo had agreed to come. Yes, he was looking forward to meeting him. He would come just after elevenses, whatever that meant. Merry had explained it was a meal Hobbits ate around eleven o'clock in the morning. And then he had left. That was some hours ago, and everyone in the houses of Healing had been preparing for the coming of the Ringbearer.

A murmur raced through the House faster than a rumor in Hobbiton. The Ringbearer had arrived! Halmir nearly lept from his skin. It took forever to the waiting lad's mind for the advancing footsteps to finally reach his room.

Merry soon appeared, in all his fine Rohirric garb. He was followed by Pippin, who also wore his finery, and then two other Hobbits entered the room. They were not dressed in finery, and they were about five inches shorter than Merry and Pippin. One, who Halmir guessed was Sam, had a kind, broad face and smiled warmly at him; his curls were a honey colour and his eyes were a deep brown. The other Hobbit had to be Frodo. He was thinner than Sam, and his skin was fairer than all of the other three Hobbits's; his hair was dark brown and his eyes were light blue encirled by a dark blue. They were so sad! Then Halmir's eyes fell on the gap on the right hand where the third finger should have been. He had heard of the missing finger, but he had never actually seen it. Suddenly, he became aware that the blue gaze was on him, and he had been staring. He blushed and looked at Frodo, expecting to find hurt or anger in the former Ringbearer’s face. But Frodo only smiled at him and said,

"Why, hullo there, Halmir. It is a pleasure to meet you. Merry and Pippin have told me so much about you."

"Lord Frodo, it is a pleasure to meet you as well, sir. Your cousins have told me a lot about you, as well."

Frodo laughed. Those who knew the significance of this exchanged glances. "Halmir! Please, do not call me ‘Lord’ or any title, for that matter. Just ‘Frodo’ should do. And," Frodo shot a glance at his two cousins, "I’m sure they did tell you quite a bit about me. And I should like to know what exactly you have heard. I have a feeling that I have some tales to straighten out. But! I have been quite rude. I have failed to introduce you to my dearest friend, one who has earned his title of ‘lord’, unlike me. Halmir, let me introduce you to Lord Samwise the Stouthearted, renowned through all the Free lands of Middle Earth and deserving of the highest praise."

Sam blushed to a colour similar to that of roses.

"Well, now, I don’t know about all that. Them titles don’t sit well with me. Just Sam will do. It is a pleasure to meet you, though, Master Halmir." Sam said, bowing low at his waist.

"The pleasure is all mine, Sam." Halmir inclined his head, hand to heart, bowing as best he could from his position in the bed. When he brought his head up, he looked at Sam and said, "Though, I daresay, Frodo was quite correct, if half the stories are to be believed."

"Well, sir, they have been exaggerated, but I don’t think this be the time or place to be discussin’ such, if you follow me."

"Oh, yes. I’m sorry, Sam."

"Nothin’ to be apologizin’ about!"

At that moment, Miriel came bustling in the room, but stopped short when she saw who her charge’s visitors were.

"Why! My lords!" She exclaimed, curtseying. "It is such a pleasure to be entertaining you this day. My name is Miriel. Would you be needing anything?"

Each Hobbit bowed low in return.

"The pleasure is ours, miss Miriel." Frodo said correctly. "We thank you for allowing us to visit our friend. I hope we are not intruding or causing any problems by being here."

Miriel was quite at a loss for words. Why wouldn’t the Ringbearer and his comrades be allowed anything their hearts desired in this city? And how on earth could this Halfling think that he would be *imposing*, when every person in the city and more clamored for even a glimpse of the former Ringbearer? The healer’s apprentice shook her head and said,

"My dear Lord Frodo, of course you are not imposing. It is our pleasure to allow you to visit. And we consider this young lad very fortunate indeed to be visited by the Ringbearer and his friends."

Frodo inclined his head.

"Oh, Halmir! I almost forgot. The Warden said you are to be released in two days!" Miriel exclaimed.

The cheer died on Halmir’s lips.

"What’s wrong, lad?" Miriel’s voice was full of concern. "Do you not think you are well enough? I thought you longed for this day."

"I did, but...Miriel, I have no where to go! I don’t have family and I don’t know what occupation I could do...I don’t want to become a beggar, Miriel, I don’t!" This was the first Halmir had ever spoken of his future to her, but she knew he had been thinking about it on his own. There was such desperation in his young voice.

Frodo stepped forward and grasped his young friend’s hand. "Of course you won’t be a beggar. You will come and live with us in the guest house in the sixth circle. It is rather large, so I’m sure no one will mind. And if our cook doesn’t think she can feed *nine* people, I’ll do the cooking myself."

"Frodo, that’s valiant of you and all, but..."

"But what, Pip?" Frodo asked, confused. He honestly had not thought his cousins would turn this boy down.

"Well...maybe you should leave the cooking to Sam."

Frodo sputtered indignantly.

"Well, you know what happens when you try to cook..."

"Peregrine Took! I can make lots of things!"

"Like?"

"I can make oatmeal biscuits, and chocolate chip biscuits and sugar biscuits and...I can make a nice pork chop dinner, with mashed potatoes; and scrambled eggs for breakfast, and toast; and peanut butter biscuits and...and..."

"And the lad can’t live on biscuits alone!" Merry laughed.

"But Frodo," Pippin said, "Things...*happen* when you cook. Scary things! Like...exploding eggs...strange looking biscuits...or..."

"Now, now, we all know Mr. Frodo’s cooking has improved." Sam finished the argument before it could go any further.

Everyone was now laughing as the cousins bantered back and forth about Frodo’s culinary skills. Even Frodo was chuckling.

"Well, seriously, I think Halmir should stay with us. Goodness know there is enough room. What do you say, lads?" Frodo queried.

"I say that Sir Peregrine Took, Captain of the Citadel Guard, should gladly welcome Young Master Halmir into his home."

"His home? What about Sir Meriadoc Brandybuck, Holdwine of the Mark and Esquire to King Eomer? Does he have any say in the matter?"

"Forgive me, sir." Pippin bowed with a flourish. "What does Sir Meriadoc Brandybuck, Holdwine of the Mark and Esquire to King Eomer and future master of Buckland say?"

Halmir giggled at the two Hobbits’s antics. He looked to Frodo, who only rolled his eyes and shook his head at his cousins.

"Why, Sir Peregrine Took, Captain of the Citadel Guard and Future Thain of the Shire, I would certainly welcome this lad into our home."

"Well, then it’s settled!" Pippin exclaimed triumphantly. "My dear Halmir, you are to stay with us as soon as the Healers permit you to leave."

"Thank you kindly," Halmir said, bowing as best he could from his bed.

Frodo bowed in return. "You are most welcome."

A messenger appeared in the door. "Ahem, Lords Frodo and Sam, and Sirs Merry and Pippin, I was told I could find you all hear. The King Elessar has summoned you to his quarters."

"When does he wish us to be there?" Pippin asked.

"As soon as you can manage it, Sir Peregrine."

"I see. Thank you. Tell the King Elessar he can expect us in fifteen minutes."

The messenger nodded and continued his daily tasks. Frodo turned to Halmir and smiled genuinely.

"Farewell, my friend. We will return as soon as may be."

Halmir smiled in return. "It was so nice to meet all of you. Thank you for coming to see me."

Frodo, Sam, Merry and Pippin all squeezed the lad’s hand before leaving. Halmir watched them go. He was sad they left. But excitement rose as he thought of the new life he would have in only two days.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*

TBC....soon, I promise!

Copyright Frodo Baggins 2006





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List