Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

A Healer of Hearts  by Frodo Baggins

A/N: Dear Readers: This chapter has many parts that were authentically written by our dear and beloved Queen Galadriel. When you review, be sure to give her a big applaud! She deserves it! :) Hannon le! - Frodo Baggins

CHAPTER 6: There's Always Hope

"Oh Frodo! I’m so glad to finally be here!" Halmir cried. He had been settled into his room with little difficulty. He had been permitted to walk a little bit on the way here, but his legs were still weak. Gandalf, Aragorn and the Hobbits were gathered around their new friend’s bed.

"And we’re equally glad to have you here, Halmir!" Frodo took the hand and pressed it fervently. "I do have something to give you. A sort of house warming gift. But, I don't know if I should give it to you."

"Oh, Frodo!! Please, please, PLEASE! You just HAVE to give me the gift!"

Frodo grinned, and this time his beautiful eyes shone with fun. "Well, Halmir, I don’t know. What do you think, King Elessar?"

Aragorn (who was in on Frodo’s surprise along with Gandalf), forced his face into a serious expression and pretended concern. "Hmmm…I don’t know, Frodo. I don’t know if it would be good for him just yet."

Frodo nodded seriously. "Yes, it might be too much excitement…"

Halmir squirmed and groaned, looking as if he would dearly love to force the secret from his tormentors. Merry and Pippin’s shoulders began to shake with silent mirth, and Frodo looked away to hide his mischievous glee.

Pippin leaned close to whisper to the nearly frantic boy, green eyes dancing with mischief. "It's a common trick of his, you know, pretending he isn’t going to give you the gift. Now, just give him the look."

The sparkling green eyes were met by equally mischievous brown ones for a moment, then they turned pitifully upon Frodo. "Oh! You two.....oh! I'll go get the gift. You two rascals, you know I can't resist the Look!" Frodo said in mock annoyance. But whatever his voice said, his blue eyes said otherwise.

He left shaking his head and returned shortly after with a large covered basket. Halmir squirmed with anticipation as Frodo re-entered the room. Frodo and Sam exchanged amused glances. "Oh, alright, here you are. Something from all of us." The hobbit set his mysterious burden down on the bed and stepped back.

Halmir grinned triumphantly at the Hobbit and eagerly took the basket. He opened the lid and gasped; for as he lifted the lid, a bundle of brown, black, and white fur leapt out at him and began enthusiastically licking his face. The shocked expression on his face as he struggled with the squirming pup brought peals of laughter from all present. "Oh, it's a....dog!" The surprised (and somewhat muffled) exclamation brought fresh bursts of laughter from the Hobbits.

"A small dog, though, Halmir!" Frodo said, still chuckling as he helped the startled lad extricate his sleeve from the puppy’s teeth. " Courtesy of the Hobbits. I am not particularly fond of large dogs, and this one is going to be small. It’s a Beagle. I had one when I was young, and she was a great companion."

"Oh, Frodo! Thank you! I've always wanted a little dog! We could take him out to the garden, and have such amazing adventures with him! What is he called?"

"That's for you to decide, lad."

Halmir grew thoughtful. After a moment he said, "Perhaps something like Frodo, or Sam, or something."

Frodo and Sam gave him looks of mock hurt. "A dog? After me? Really, I thought you had more respect than that, young master." Said the former Ring-bearer, exchanging a secret smile with Sam.

Halmir laughed. "I was teasing, but I think you are too!"

"Aye," said Sam. "And anyhow, you can’t very well give the pup a name like that. It wouldn’t be proper."

"Why not?" asked Halmir.

Frodo and Sam exchanged grins and said together, "Because it’s a lass!" And everyone in the room roared with laughter.

"Oh, Frodo, however did you come by her?" Halmir asked when the laughter had died down.

"Ah," said Frodo, sobering, "she was in desperate need of a home when I found her. I was walking through the lower parts of the City, the parts that are still evacuated. I found her under a pile of rubble. There was not another living thing around. She was so very gentle and sweet. Stole my heart. But I’m in no position for a dog right now, and I thought you would enjoy a friend."

"Oh," said Halmir softly, stroking the pup’s silky fur. "She’s an orphan then, like you and me. Poor thing."

Frodo didn’t question the lad’s knowledge of his being an orphan. One of the many things Merry had told the lad about him, Frodo wouldn’t be surprised. "You’ll have to be her guardian now. For she needs someone to look after her, just as all young ones do." Frodo said.

"I’ll give her the very best care, Frodo," said Halmir, cradling the now sleeping pup against his chest. He looked so solemn and proud and almost fatherly that Frodo smiled.

"Really, Halmir, do you know what you’ll call her?" asked Sam. "You’ll have to think of a proper lass’s name."

Halmir thought for a moment, looking down at the little life in his arms. "I think I’ll call her…Anna."

"Gift," Frodo murmured. And then, "How do you know Elvish?" This was very surprising indeed. He didn’t think the men of Rohan had any interest in Elves.

"Merry taught me a little, and so did Pippin. I only know a few words, though."

Frodo looked at his cousins, astonished. "So you were listening all those times I tried to teach you?"

Merry shrugged as if it was nothing and Pippin said, "Only sometimes, Frodo, when it was a choice between sitting and enduring you teaching us some language other than Westron or arithmetic!"

"That’s a right sensible name, lad," Sam turned the conversation back to the present. These cousin discussions could go on forever.

"It suits her perfectly." Frodo agreed.

A growl from Pippin's stomach alerted them of the time, and an amused grin went round the room like a streak of sunshine. "My, but it’s late!" Pippin proclaimed. "I’m dreadfully sorry to break this up, my dear cousin, but I’m famished!"

Gandalf laughed and rose from his chair. "Master Halmir, you will soon that it is safer to stand between a troll and his treasure than a Hobbit and his meal! I will bring some luncheon to the room and we can eat here. How does that sound?"

"Oh yes!" cried Halmir, and then remembering his guests, "Um, that is, what do you fellows say?"

"I say," said Frodo, "that this young lad is not to be gainsaid."

"Very well," said Gandalf, laughing. "I shall return in a moment."

"Shall I go for somethin’?" asked Sam, remembering his "duty" a bit too late.

"You, Samwise Gamgee, can help me if it would make you rest easier. But I think you have done enough serving in the last year to serve you the rest of your life."

"It would make me feel better, sir."

"Alright, come along, then."

*~*~*~*~*~*

After a delightful luncheon in Halmir’s room, the group sat talking amiably. They had only been talking for a few minutes before they heard two voices, one melodious voice of an Elf and the gruff voice of Gimli. Pippin ran out to meet them. His high, excited voice was mixed with the other two. Soon the voices came towards the room.

"Halmir, prepare to meet the last two members of our Fellowship. You’ll love them, and they will love you. Gimli may seem a bit rough, but he’s soft as butter on the inside." Frodo said, smiling fondly at the thought of his other two friends.

Said persons soon entered the room.

"So this is the laddy who will be sharing our house from now on, is it?" Gimli asked. Then he chuckled and bowed Dwarf fashion. "I am Gimli, son of Gloin. It is a pleasure to have you staying here. Any friend of these....rapscallions is a friend indeed."

"Thank you, Gimli. It is a pleasure to finally meet you." Halmir bowed as best he could from his position in the bed.

"And I am Legolas Greenleaf. It honors me to meet you, Halmir, son of Gladir. My young friends have told me much about you."

Halmir was amazed that this elf knew the name of his father! He again bowed as best he could from his position in the bed. "The honor is all mine. I have heard much about you as well." Halmir tried to suppress a yawn. Aragorn saw it.

"Friends, it is time we all left Halmir so that he may rest. The lad is weary and needs some rest right now. I know Legolas and Gimli just arrived, but everyone will have plenty of time to get to know each other in the future."

Everyone agreed. Halmir said nothing and sat there looking crushed.

"It’s alright, Halmir," Frodo said, sensing his friend’s distress. "He knows what’s best for you. He was the same way with me. Only, he put me in a healing sleep for two whole weeks! Do you want him doing that to you?" Frodo kept a straight face, but Halmir knew he was teasing because the lad looked to Aragorn (just to make sure) and Aragorn shook his head.

"Whatever you say, Frodo. Well, farewell, everyone. And thank you again for your hospitality. Though that sounds so very shallow. I can’t thank any of you properly."

"Yes, you can. That’s by resting!" Merry said. "Get enough rest. You’ll need it; my cousins and Sam have some exciting things planned for you."

At this Halmir’s eyes sparked. He lay down and held Anna, who had fallen asleep curled up next to her new owner. The Fellowship filed out. Frodo was the last to leave and he cast one last glance over his shoulder. Halmir was already fast asleep, holding his sleeping puppy as the two were bathed in the afternoon sun.

*~*~*~*~*

Halmir slept through tea and up until five that evening. He was awakened to the scent of mushroom pie wafting through the air. His stomach growled. Suddenly he realized that his Anna was gone! He looked frantically around, but the pup was no where to be seen.

Just as he was about to sound the alarm, when he heard a shout, followed by more shouts and the soft padding of Hobbit feet running down the hallway. Halmir was very curious about what was causing the commotion. As he eased himself out of bed, he heard a little bark and he smiled. Anna. The gift was turning out not to be such a pleasant one.

Halmir limped to the door and opened it as Gimli and Legolas came walking down the hall.

"Master Halmir! You are awake! Just in time for supper. Being around those Hobbits has worn off on you, I see." Gimli chuckled. Legolas nodded his greeting over Gimli’s head. Halmir joined the duo and they went to the dining room together.

"Where is King Elessar?" Halmir asked.

"The King does not stay here, Halmir." Legoalas answered.

Of course. He was the King. He wouldn’t stay in a guest house! "Right. Well, what’s for supper?"

"The HObbits are treating us to a delicacy of the Shire. We’ve never had it before, but it smells delicious. They call it Mushroom pie." Gimli explained. He was evidently anticipating this dish from that faraway land the Shire.

And it was indeed delicious. Everyone said so and complimented the Hobbits many times between mouthfuls. Merry and Pippin bobbed their heads in acknowledgment and said that if everyone liked this, they should wait for dessert. Sam only blushed and said it was nothing. Frodo said nothing at all. In fact, he seemed not to hear anything at all.

"Frodo? Frodo! Frodo Baggins!!" Merry said.

Frodo jerked his head up. Everyone was staring at him, concerned. Both Gandalf and Sam looked at him shrewdly. "Sorry, I...I was...just..." it was pointless. Frodo blushed.

"My dear boy, you are weary. You should go lie down for a bit." Gandalf rose.

"But I..." Frodo attempted to protest.

"No. At least go in your bed and read."

Argument was pointless. "I am a little weary. Goodnight everyone." Frodo said, bowing at the waist. He left the room feeling very foolish, like a child being sent to bed early for something he didn’t do. He had only been deep in thoughts. They were not happy thoughts, though. His heart was troubled. Memories of the Ring taunted him. Would he never truly find peace?

Later, Sam came with some tea. "Here, Mr. Frodo. I made you this."

"Thank you, Sam. That was very thoughtful of you." Frodo knew where Sam was going to go with the conversation. His Sam knew him very well, and knew something was bothering his master. But Frodo also knew Sam well, so he steered the conversation in another direction.

"What do you think of Halmir, Sam?"

Sam chuckled. "A right fine lad he is, Mr. Frodo. Very gentle. Reminds me a bit of you, in a way."

Frodo grew thoughtful. "Yes, he does. I love the lad like he was my brother, and yet I hardly know him. It’s his eyes, you see. I can see right into his heart. It’s broken, Sam. Broken, and he doesn’t have much hope." Frodo paused. Sam could see Frodo’s heart through those blue eyes of his. It was broken as well. "We must try to fix it for him, Sam. We have to give him hope. He has so much to live for."

"Aye, Mr. Frodo, he does." Sam couldn’t help but think, ‘You have so much to live for, too! Don’t you see it? Don’t you go givin’ up on hope, Mr. Frodo. There’s always hope. There’s always hope.’

*~*~*~*~*~*

TBC...

Copyright Frodo Baggins 2006





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List