Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

A Healer of Hearts  by Frodo Baggins

Two Weeks Later....

Halmir and Frodo were sitting in the kitchen. Frodo was expanding Halmir’s Elvish vocabulary. A knock on the door interrupted them. That was strange. No one knocked except for visitors, and they were expecting none.

"Halmir, would you mind getting the door?"

"Of course, Frodo."

Upon opening the door, Halmir gave a small cry of surprise. "Miriel!" he cried as he rushed to the young healer and embraced her. "I’ve missed you so!"

Miriel hugged him back and whispered, "I’ve missed you also."

At that moment, Frodo came to the door. "Who is it...Why! Miriel! Welcome!" He bowed at his waist. "Halmir, we musn’t forget our manners. Please, come in, Miriel."

Miriel followed Frodo and a chattering Halmir to the kitchen. Frodo offered her a chair.

"Oh, and Miriel! The best news of all is...I have a dog! A puppy, really. Let me go find her. She is probably in the garden with Sam. I’ll bring him in, too. Just wait here!" Halmir limped off as fast as he possibly could.

Miriel laughed. "As if I had a choice about leaving!"

Frodo laughed as well. "He is irrepressable, as I’m sure you know. I was just preparing tea. Would you care for some?"

Miriel was about to protest that the Ringbearer should do something for *her*, but then she remembered how uncomfortable he got when he was treated like a prince. He handled the praise with such grace and dignity, Miriel thought he really would have made a fine prince. However, she could see in his eyes (and the colour of red his cheeks turned) that he did not enjoy the honour. Besides, in this instance she was his guest, and so she accepted his offer of tea.

Miriel’s grey eyes followed the former Ringbearer as he prepared the tea and chatted amiably with her. He really was the perfect gentleman....or, rather, gentlehobbit. Finally, after pouring four cups of tea, he sat down.

"Frodo, I want to thank you." the young healer began.

Frodo stiffened. He had done his best to ignore her studying him this whole time, but now she was going to thank him for all he did, like everyone else in the city. He didn’t think he could bear another ‘Thank you for all you gave speech’. But he relaxed when he heard what he was being thanked for.

"Halmir needs such care. He’s still...affected deeply by his family’s death, and from his ordeal during the war. So, thank you for taking such good care of him. He needs someone he can trust, someone that can love him all the time."

Frodo smiled. "Oh, it is no problem. I assure you. He is such a delight. And he has helped *me* more than you could ever know. Thank *you* for trusting me to take care of him. I can see that you are very fond of the lad."

Miriel could not answer for the yapping and little cries of, "Anna! Stop..oh! Don’t eat Sam!" and Sam’s chuckles coming down the hall. Soon Halmir, carrying a squirming Beagle puppy and followed closely by Sam, entered the kitchen.

"This is Anna, Miriel. She is the puppy Frodo found for me. Isn’t she a darling?"

Miriel took the offered pup in her lap and stroked the head as Frodo stood and introduced the blushing Sam.

"Miriel, I believe you have already met Sam."

Miriel smiled kindly. "How could I forget him?" Sam blushed harder.

"I assure you, Miss, no one could forget Sam the Stouthearted. But, come Sam, Halmir, join us for tea."

Sam and Halmir took their seats. The four talked together for awhile of the weather and other small matters. All too soon, Miriel rose.

"I am so sorry, milords and Halmir, but I must be going now. It was wonderful to have tea with you all. You are so kind."

"Please do come again, Miss Miriel. We enjoyed your company." Frodo said truthfully.

"Yes, do. I’ve missed you, Miriel. Farewell!" Halmir said.

"You’re welcome anytime, miss."

Miriel thanked them all once again and hurried off home.

"That was kind of her to stop in and check on you, Halmir."

"Hmm? Oh, yes, it was."

Frodo and Sam exchanged glances over the lad’s head. He was acting wistful and forlorn. They guessed that the young healer reminded Halmir of someone that was dear to him; perhaps someone who had died.

*~*~*~*~*

Three days later....

Sam was working diligently in the small patch of garden of the Guest House. He heard the laughter of Merry, Frodo and Halmir before he saw them approaching him. He stopped his work to look at them.

"Hullo, Sam!" Frodo cried jovially. His greeting was repeated by the lad and Hobbit.

"Hullo, Mr. Frodo, Mr. Merry, Halmir. And what are you all up to?" It was plain as day by the looks on all three of their faces that they were up to something. They were all too cheerful.

"Merry, Halmir and I are going out. We’re tired of being cooped up in this confounded house."

"Yes, we want to explore." Halmir stated.

"Is that so? Well, pardon me for askin’, but did Lord Strider give you permission, Halmir?"

"When he came by yesterday he said that I was free to walk on it as much as I liked, as long as I rest when it bothers me." The lad was clearly thrilled about his newly acquired freedom.

"Frodo said that it would be wise to let someone know that we’re going out for a while."

"How long’s a while?" Sam asked.

"Oh, we’ll be home around supper." Frodo stated. "Well, we’d best be off! Good..."

"Wait! Aren’t you goin’ to have a guide or something? Someone as knows the City ? And preferably someone with a sword, I might ad."

"Oh, Sam!" Frodo sighed. "We’ll be fine. It’s broad daylight. And besides, the point of this expedition is so that we can *explore* the City, not have it shown to us."

Sam had his doubts. But there were three of them going, and they could always ask directions. Least ways, he knew that Mr. Merry was right good with directions and such.

"Alright. Be sure to be back before dark."

"We promise." Frodo said with a wave of his hand. The trio set off through the garden gate and into an adventure greater than any one of them could have ever imagined.

*~*~*~*~*~*

They had been walking a long while. Frodo, Merry and Halmir had stopped to get something to eat around noon.

"Gandalf!" Merry cried. Indeed, Gandalf was striding towards them.

"My dear boys! What are you doing out alone in the City?"

"Exploring!" All three cried at once.

"We told Sam we were away, so don’t worry about us up and disappearing." Frodo explained.

"Oh, I’m not worried about that. Just be sure to be home by dark. Or at least well into inhabited parts of Minas Tirith. The unrepaired part of the City is still not completely safe at night." Gandalf said solemnly. The three nodded, and Gandalf continued. "Well, I must be off. I am going to a meeting with the King Elessar. Be safe!" And off he went.

*~*~*~*~*

Halmir leaned against an old, battered stone wall. "Whew! I’m tired. And I believe I’ve seen enough of the war-torn part of the City. It gives me chills."

Frodo leaned back next to his young friend. "I must agree with you, Halmir." He glanced at the sky. "The sun is going down. We really should be heading back. I think we have explored quite enough for one day. And remember what Gandalf said."

"Yes, I believe you’re right." Merry agreed.

"But aren’t we lost?" Halmir asked. "I thought that was the whole point of stopping, to get our bearings."

"Of course. So let me climb up on this wall, and I’ll have a look." Merry climbed up onto a part of wall. It dropped down the other side a good ten feet to the Circle below. But Merry did not know this, nor did Frodo or Halmir. "I think...I think I know where we are...AHHHH!" Merry fell screaming as the wall beneath him silently gave way. He plunged ten feet, and then with a sickening thud, all was eerily silent.

*~*~*~*~*~*

TBC....

A/N: This is for budgielover!! Ha! I don’t know if you’ll read this, but it serves you right. And for all of my other readers who are hanging on to the literary cliff, hang in there. I’ll just go ask Sam for a rope. :)

Copyright Frodo Baggins 2006





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List