Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

A Healer of Hearts  by Frodo Baggins

Sam hummed as he arrived at the Houses of Healing. After he had finished in his garden at the guest house, he headed to the House of Healing. He had to check on the herbs that he had helped to plant.

Miriel met him in the gardens.

"Hello, Lord Samwise. How are you doing?"

"Right fine, Miss." Sam said, acknowledgeing her with a nod of his head. "How are you?"

"I’m alright. I am ready for a change of scenery.

"How is Halmir doing?"

Sam chuckled. "Oh, he’s doing right well, Miss Miriel. He’s a handful, that one. But he’s a lot like Mr. Frodo was at that age - can’t keep him still for a moment. He’s always lookin’ for something new and exciting. He’s a blessing to us all, and that’s a fact."

Miriel laughed a clear, rich laugh. "I’m sure he is, Lord Sam."

"Yes, he and Mr. Frodo and Mr. Merry went off ‘adventuring’ today. They took a tour of the City. Should be back by the time I get home."

"Miriel!" A voice called from indoors.

"I am so sorry to be rude, Lord Samwise, but I must go. Thank you for speaking with me!"

"My pleasure!" Sam called as he finished up. Sam glanced at the sinking sun. He hoped Frodo, Merry and Halmir had made it back alright. Or, at least, were safely on their way home.

*~*~*~*~*

Sam whistled as he came in the door. It was dark now, for the sun had quickly set. "Mr. Frodo! I’m home!" he called. "How was your...adventure."Sam finished quietly. There was no one in the House. It was completely deserted. No, not deserted. Anna came bounding up to Sam, who scooped her up into his arms.

"Why, where’s your master, little Gift?" He asked. He set the pup down and walked into the kitchen. "Well, they’ll be home soon enough, and I’ll wager that they’ll be hungry as ever they can be." And so Sam began to make a delicious supper.

Soon, the door opened. "Mr. Frodo! I was so worried..." But it was not Frodo, nor Merry, nor Halmir. Legolas stood in the doorway, and Gimli’s voice could be heard behind him telling him that, ‘he smelled food and was hungrier than his Elven highness could imagine.’

"Sam, is Frodo not here?" Legolas asked, leaving the Dwarf’s remarks unanswered but moving all the same.

"Well, yes. He and Mr. Merry and Halmir went out to have a look at the City without a guide, see. They were getting stir crazy, I suppose, and they had to get out. They promised to be back before dark or somewhere thereabouts. They’re not back yet, and I’m beginning to worry about them."

Gimli was now paying full attention. "Could they have gotten lost?"

"No, I reckon not. Leastways, Mr. Merry’s right good with directions and such, and even if they did get themselves lost, Mr. Merry would ask someone for directions."

"They could have stayed at an inn, Samwise." Legolas guessed. He doubted the veracity of his words, but if it helped Sam stop worrying, it was worth it.

"I suppose you’re right."

Gandalf entered the room. "Right about what? You do not look very happy about whatever it is, Samwise."

"No sir. I’m not. Mr. Frodo and Mr. Merry and Halmir all went for a..."

"I know. I ran into them earlier. Are they not back yet?"

"No, and that’s what I’m worried about, if your understand me."

"I do. Frodo promised me he would return at least by dark. He would not break his promise unless he had no other choice."

"He *promised*? Oh this is a bad omen! I hope nothin’ has happened to him."

"Sam, let us give them until morning. They could have gotten lost and had to stay at an inn. I did tell them above all else not to travel in the dark, and Frodo may have deemed it wiser to stay somewhere safe until dawn."

"Oh I hope you’re right, Mr. Gandalf. I hope you’re right."

"Frodo and Merry will take care of themselves and the lad. But I smell supper. Let’s stop this worry and talk and eat. This Dwarf hungers!" Gimli said as he walked into the kitchen.

Legolas followed, more soberly, with his brow furrowed. Something was telling him that all was not right with his young friends. But then, it could just be a feeling.

As Sam served supper, he glanced out the window into the black night. All was not well, he could feel it in his bones. But he had no choice but to wait for morning. There was no helping his master if he lost in the dark too. Yet the feeling that something was wrong continued to gnaw at his stomach. His master was out there somewhere in the dark.

*~*~*~*~*

TBC...

_________________________________________________________________________

A/N: I know, I know, I’m naughty to keep you all hanging on this little cliff I’ve created, but...well, Sam is just dawdling somewhere with that rope. :) He,he!

Copyright 2006 Frodo Baggins





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List