Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

A Healer of Hearts  by Frodo Baggins

Miriel was curled up in front of the fireplace. It was late, but she couldn't sleep. It was storming outside. The wind screamed at her door, the rain pounded her windows, and the thunder shook her. The young healer sat staring at the flames. They issued forth warmth, but no comfort. Miriel shivered and wrapped her blanket closer around her shoulders.

Miriel nearly jumped out of her chair when she heard the pounding on her door. She raced to answer it. Gandalf was standing in the rain, looking worried.

"My Lord Gandalf! What...Come in, come in." Breathless, she stepped aside. "What is wrong, sir?"

"There is little time to explain. Halmir, Frodo and Merry went out today, and Merry was injured gravely. Halmir and Frodo thought he was dead, and the three of them were caught in the storm. King Elessar is tending Merry in the Houses of Healing now. He needs you to go tend Frodo at the Guest house."

"What is wrong with Frodo?"

"We don't know. Halmir is unharmed, thankfully, but it appears Frodo has some sort of fever. The King Elessar needs you to tend Frodo until he himself can come. You must leave immediately."

"Of course. Let me go grab my things." Miriel raced to her room. She swiftly dressed herself in warm clothes and gathered her things in a large basket. She hurried out to meet Gandalf, who was warming himself by the fire. Without a word, Gandalf led the way out into the stormy night. The rain whipped Miriel's cloak as she hurried behind Gandalf. They traveled swiftly through the night.

They were greeted by a worried Gimli. "Thank goodness you’re here! Frodo’s gotten worse." The three made their way swiftly to Frodo’s room. Anna hopped down from the chair next to Frodo’s bed where she had been watching. Sam looked up from his vigil by Frodo’s side and smiled in greeting. Halmir turned to them and exclaimed,

"I’m so glad you’ve come, Miriel! I am quite at a loss. I’ve tried to do what I know how, but I think Frodo’s gotten worse."

Miriel gave her lad a hug. "Let’s see what you’ve done." She looked over the Hobbit, trying to blink tears from her eyes. He was so pale and sick. His blue eyes were very feverish and didn’t seem to see anybody. His lips were dry. Despite the many blankets, the Hobbit still shivered. She found no symptoms of any physical sickness. After having Halmir explain to her in detail everything that happened, she diagnosed her friend.

"I believe that Frodo is suffering from severe depression and grief. On top of that, being out in the rain and cold in his recovering condition has brought on the fever and chills. Keep him warm and give him lots of fluids and love." As she said this last word she smiled at Sam, knowing full well that the little gardener would take the best care of his master. "Does he know that Merry is alive?"

"No, miss. Should I tell him soon as he wakes?"

"That would be wonderful, Sam. Thank you." And then, turning to Halmir, "Young man, you need your rest as well. I’ll make you some tea, and then you go to bed." She ushered him out of the room.

"But Miriel! I...I need to stay awake for Frodo. He needs me. I have to know that he’ll be alright. Please!"

Tenderly, Miriel explained, "I know you want to tend Frodo. But Sam himself will get tired soon and will need someone to watch over him. As will I, and Gandalf, and Gimli. And then you can take a turn tending him. Would you like that?"

"I could? I mean, you would let me, just a lad, tend Frodo? What if I did something wrong?"

"I think you did a wonderful job of it tonight. From what I heard, you saved Merry’s life by turning his head. How did you know about that?"

"I don’t know. I just...it just made sense to me."

Miriel smiled, "You would make a fine healer, lad. Now, go change and get into bed. I’ll be back with some tea."

Halmir shuffled off to bed. His wound hurt him, but he didn’t complain. He hadn’t even thought about it until now. Anna trotted beside him contentedly.

As Halmir pulled his warm nightshirt over his head he wondered about Frodo and about Merry. He prayed that they would be alright.

Miriel came back to find Halmir snuggled in his bed with Anna curled up beside him. "Here’s your..." but Miriel stopped. Halmir had been crying. The young healer set the cup on the table and drew Halmir to herself. "My dear Halmir! What’s wrong, lad?"

"Oh Miriel!" Halmir sobbed into her shoulder. "I was so..so scared! I thought..I thought they were dead! I didn’t know...know what to do! It was hor-hor-horrible!"

Miriel’s heart broke for the small boy in her arms. "Shh. There now, love. Fear not. There there. They’re both all right. I know it was horrible to you. Shh. Shhhh." She stroked his back and rocked him back and forth. After a while, his sobs subsided a little and she lay the boy down. Miriel thought he was asleep and made to go. But Halmir’s hand tightened around hers.

"Please don’t go, Miriel. I need you." Halmir whispered, imploring her with his eyes.

"Alright. Don’t worry, I won’t leave." So saying, she sat back on the bed. Presently, she thought of a song that her mother had sung to her when she was frightened.

"Close thine eyes, just sleep, just sleep 

Think not of the fear, the fear

Do not fear the wind the wind

Heed not storm so fierce so fierce,

Just follow the dream song

To the land of the dreams.

Take you now my hand my hand

Let your mind be free be free

From cares of this world this world

Let the wind take you, take you

And just follow the dream song

To the land of the dreams."*

By the time Miriel had sung the song twice, Halmir lay peacefully in his bed, one hand laid on Anna’s head; and the other was loosely curled around her own.

_____________________________________________________________

*: I made up that lullaby (or something like it) while singing my brother to sleep. This proves that I never was a song writer. I’ve left that to the master bard Queen Galadriel. :)

TBC....

Copyright 2006 Frodo Baggins





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List