Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

A Healer of Hearts  by Frodo Baggins

Pippin was the first to reach the house, followed cloesly by Sam, Aragorn, Gandalf, Gimli and Legolas. Halmir stood and embraced Pippin, relieved beyond words.

"Oh, you've come, you've come!" Halmir cried.

"Yes...what has happened?" Aragorn asked, kneeling beside Merry's body.

Halmir choked back a sob. "Merry's dead, and Frodo soon will be."

Both Sam and Pippin cried out in grief and rushed to the sides of their friend and cousin.

"Mr. Frodo?" Sam whispered tentatively, turning Frodo to look at him. The blue eyes stared blankly ahead and he shivered violently.

"Lord Strider, he's hurt bad." Sam said, his voice soft.

"Take Frodo to the Guest House, and take Merry to the Houses of Healing. He is not dead yet."

Halmir was shocked. Not dead? How could it be? He was too relieved for words.

"Legolas, would you bear Merry to the Houses of Healing? I will be there shortly." Legolas bowed and scooped up the limp Merry. Aragorn turned to Frodo's shivering form and picked him up gently. Halmir leaned wearily on Sam's strong shoulder as they made their way to the Guest House. Poor Pippin looked dreadfully undecided between one cousin and the next. He followed his king to the Guest house, deciding that he would go where he was needed most.

Aragorn laid Frodo on his bed and turned to issue orders, but Sam and Pippin had already gathered blankets, dry clothes, and they informed him that water was being heated.

"I must go now the Houses of Healing so that I may tend Merry. His need is more pressing. I will return to help Frodo when I see that Merry is taken care of. And Miriel will arrive before I do to help you. Though I know that I leave Frodo in the best of hands. Keep him warm. I do not know what ails him, but Miriel will, and she will help you." And then the king saw how torn Pippin was, and his voice softened. "You need not chose between your cousins, Pippin. You shall come with me and tend to Merry. The two of you went through much together, and perhaps you can help me recall him. Frodo would tell you to tend Merry instead of himself."

Pippin saw a glimmer of humour and a spark of regret in the Ranger King's grey eyes. Pippin kissed Frodo's feverish forehead before hurrying after his king.

*~*~*~*~*

Merry was laid on a bed, dressed in a warm dressing gown. Pippin slipped in behind the tall Aragorn, and glimpsed Merry. He looked dead to Pippin. In a horrifying moment, Pippin was brought back to the time when Merry had been touched by the Black Breath. He had thought Merry would die then, too. The poor tween cried out in grief.

Legolas noticed the young Hobbit and ushered him out to wait in the hall.

"Pippin, what is wrong?"

"Merry...he..he looks so...dead." Pippin could barely make the words come out of his mouth.

A shadow crossed the Elf's face. "Do not fear. Elessar is the best healer in this land. Your cousin could not be in better hands." Legolas was about to add, 'Except Lord Elrond,' but he knew this would cause the young Hobbit to fear even more. "Come, sit by me. We will wait together." So saying, the elf sat upon the ground.

Pippin joined him. After a while he said, "Are you worried for Merry?"

"I am no healer, so I do not know what to expect. I know that mortals are very fragile; but then Hobbits have proven to be far more resilient than any other race of mortal." Legolas chose his words carefully. Pippin seemed satisfied, and rested his weary head against Legolas.

In truth, Legolas had no hope for the small Hobbit. No, not no hope; there was yet a flicker, though the longer Aragorn stayed in the room, the smaller it grew. Legolas was a young elf, and yet had much wisdom to gain. But he knew this much: mortal life was so delicate, that it seemed the smallest breeze could snuff it out. However, that was before he had met the Hobbits. Each one of them had proven to be far more resilient than any mortal man. They had all gone through so much more than anyone had ever expected. That was where his small hope lied. There was doubt in that hope, though. Because they had gone through so much, may it not have weakened them? Legolas shoved the thought aside. He had grown attached to these small creatures, despite his father's warnings about getting attached to mortals. The exhausted Pippin had fallen asleep on him, and Legolas watched him tenderly.

Legolas's thought then turned to Frodo. He had much less hope for Frodo than he did for Merry. Merry's wounds were physical, but Legolas perceived that Frodo was not ill from the wet and the cold. Halmir (who would be in poorer condition than Frodo) was not severly affected by that. No, Legolas knew that Frodo was suffering from severe mental depression. Frodo's mind was still recovering from the devastating Quest, and Legolas knew that whatever had caused Frodo to recede into such a state was serious indeed.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

TBC....

Copyright Frodo Baggins 2006





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List