Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Tales of Life  by Aelaer

Not a very hard one to come up with, as Aragorn is alone much of the time; the challenge is to execute it out well ;) The name of the ficlet has a bit of a double-meaning.


Prompt Seven: 'Alone'
Ficlet: Alone in Death
Rating: PG
Third Age, the Ephel Duath

"Into what deadly perils he had gone alone I dare not guess." ... "If a man must needs walk in sight of the Black Gate, or tread the deadly flowers of Morgul Vale, then perils he will have."

In the still, dead land, a tall shadow made his way through the mist. Smoky tendrils came to meet him as he stumbled further along his jagged path on the slopes of the Ephel Duath. His weary feet stumbled over loose stones and twisted brambles. For days he had been searching through this living nightmare, with little food or water to keep him nourished, his strength deteriorating as every hour passed. Only his determination kept him from leaving this barren waste, and his fear of discovery kept him from stopping for too long.

He had been almost discovered quite a few times. Though there were no orcs looking for him, the amount of orcs roaming these lands was much more than even he had anticipated. He had been here over thirty years ago when he was a captain in Gondor, and even back then orcs were not nearly this numerous. But now, they were crawling all over the place, infecting all land that they covered.

Aragorn found himself falling once more, and this time he could not catch himself. His body landed on the uneven, rocky ground, and his hands were torn when he tried to stop himself. He lay there for a moment, wondering why he was in this barren wasteland. Should he not be back in Eriador, helping his men fight off the evil that was spreading there? Why was he here, trying to find a creature that was impossible to find?

'Because you told Gandalf that you would,' he thought to himself. 'Because it is my duty to do so.'

With that in mind, he took a deep breath, pushed himself off the ground, and continued forward once more. He would stop at nothing to fulfill his duty and find this Gollum; he would search for him everywhere... even if it meant his death.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List