Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Tales of Life  by Aelaer

This certain ficlet was a bit difficult to write because I retold a scene which Tolkien described very well: the meeting of Aragorn and Arwen. However, I am 99.9% sure I didn't copy any direct text, other than the poem, of course.

So, I'm hoping that you all will still enjoy this shorter ficlet, even though it's a scene we all know well. Reviews especially appreciated on this one, since it's the retelling of a very famous (and already detailed) meeting.


Prompt: Time
Fic: Forest of Neldoreth
Rating: G
Year 2951, Forest of Rivendell

Alone he walked the woods of Rivendell, and he sang his heart out to the world. His being was filled with happiness; just yestereve he had discovered that he was not Estel, son of an unknown father, but that he was Aragorn, son of Arathorn, heir of Isildur and Chieftain of the Dúnedain. This discovery made him proud and his heart light.
   
And so the young man sang in the woods a melody he knew well: The Lay of Lúthien.
   
  ... He saw the elven-flowers spring
  About her feet, and healed again
  He longed by her to dance and sing
  Upon the grass untroubling.
  
  Again she fled, but swift he came.
  Tinúviel! Tinúviel!
  He called her by her elvish name;
  And there she halted listening.
  One moment stood she, and a spell
  His voice laid on her: Beren came,
  And doom fell on Tinúviel
  That in his arms lay glistening.

   
As he was about to go onto the next verse, he halted: he suddenly saw a maiden, fair even as the maiden Lúthien herself. It was as if he had stepped back in time, as if he were Beren, spying upon the beautiful Tinúviel in the forest of Neldoreth. He watched as she walked among the birches, her dark tresses straying in the wind, and her grey eyes shining with a bright elven-light. He watched this lovely vision of Lúthien silently, but he feared that she would pass out of his sight and that he would never see her again.
   
"Tinúviel, Tinúviel!" he cried to her.
   
She happened not to be Lúthien, but the daughter of Elrond. To Aragorn, it did not matter; from that moment on, he knew that he loved Arwen Undómiel, and would unto his dying day.


Note: The original scene of this can naturally be found in Tolkien’s Appendices of LOTR. The only direct lines from there are “Tinúviel, Tinúviel”, and the Lay of Lúthien/Leithian, whichever you prefer, and can be found in Book I of FOTR. Otherwise this scene is a complete retelling and I was careful not to take any direct lines from Tolkien’s version while still maintaining canon and the flow :-)





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List