Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Tales of Life  by Aelaer

Prelude to #59, Secrecy. And again over the word limit. Heh.


Prompt 67: Decision
Ficlet: A Safe Haven
Rating: G
The Angle, Eriador, July 2933 TA

Three weeks had passed since Arathorn's body had been brought back to Sarnhold and the sons of Elrond had left to bring news of his death to their father. Every man, woman, and child felt the tension in the air, but the issue that plagued the Dúnedain settlement was not spoken about beyond closed doors and hushed whispers. Despite the unspoken agreement to not speak loudly about the fate of Isildur's heir, normalcy had yet to return to Sarnhold and laughter was seldom.

Gilraen rarely left her home and none but her immediate family dared to console her. Aragorn, who before often played out in the streets and open fields around the village, was not seen outside of the house after the funeral. The situation remained the same until the sons of Elrond came back to Sarnhold that late afternoon.

As always, they greeted those they came upon with courtesy, but it was obvious that they were there for a purpose. And so they were left alone, and with haste the peredhil made their way to Gilraen's home. Five minutes later, the people of Sarnhold were surprised to see the woman and her son with the Elven brothers exit the building; they quickly made their way to the newly-proclaimed chieftain's home.

"Gilraen! My lords!" Haeleth, wife to the chieftain, said in surprise as she opened the door. She glanced at Aragorn, who looked upon his surroundings from his mother's arms with open curiosity, before turning back to the woman.

"Is Haladan here?" Gilraen asked, her voice betraying no emotion.

"Yes, sister, he is here. Please come in." She stepped aside and allowed the four in before closing the door. "Mother is here helping me with Halbarad— would you like Aragorn to join them?"

The younger woman looked blankly at her elder sister for a moment before slowly nodding. "I— I suppose that would be best." She handed her son to Haeleth; he knew his aunt well and was delighted to be with her, especially since his own mother had been melancholy for such a long time. He could not quite grasp why she was so sad, but her sadness left him feeling unwell.

"Haladan should be in the parlor. I will bring Aragorn to Mother and Halbarad." The woman left with her nephew as Gilraen led Elrond's sons to the parlor, where, as expected, they found the chieftain.

"I thought I heard your voice, Gilraen," he said in greeting. "And welcome back to Sarnhold, my lords— I will admit that I was not expecting to see you again so soon."

They sat down and Elrohir smiled grimly. "I am afraid it was the ill circumstances that brought us back so quickly." He paused for a moment, as if searching for the correct words. "We told our father about Arathorn's death, and he was very concerned about the future of the Dúnedain."

"We all are," Haladan replied. "Our population is continuously dwindling and our enemy's numbers are increasing year by year. The deaths of both Arador and Arathorn—" He broke off, shooting an apologetic glance at his sister-in-law. She only smiled wanly.

"We know," said Elladan, his expression mirroring his brother's, "and our father knows of the precarious position of the Dúnedain, as well. Because of recent events, he has made a proposition. Every heir of Isildur since the fall of the North Kingdom has been tutored in Rivendell for a time. While they usually come about the age of ten, he recommends that Aragorn be brought with his mother to Imladris now."

The chieftain raised his brow. "Now? Is our situation so dire?" He sighed and glanced at the young woman. "I assume they told you this already. What think you?"

Gilraen was silent for a moment before saying, "I will do all in my power to protect my son."

"And is Sarnhold not enough?" he rebutted, but he waved them off from answering. "My apologies, my patience has been short these last days. But please tell me, my lords, why does Master Elrond think it best for young Aragorn to go so soon?"

Elrohir glanced at the other peredhel before answering. "He did not tell us much," he began, "but he was very concerned for the heir of Isildur."

Haladan's brow furrowed. "He does not believe the deaths of Arador and Arathorn to be mere misfortune? Is there another power at work here?"

"We are not sure," said Elrohir. "If Gilraen comes to Rivendell, she may ask our father herself."

"But I will say that my father does not give such advice lightly," Elladan added. "I do not believe he would advise such a move unless he feared for young Aragorn's life."

The man nodded briefly before giving his sister-in-law a long look. "You have already decided to go to Rivendell, haven't you?"

"I will do all in my power to protect my son," she repeated. "If Master Elrond believes my son is in danger where he is, I will follow his counsel. It would be foolish to ignore the advice of one of the Wise."

"I cannot argue against that," Haladan agreed, but he could not completely conceal his reluctance. His lips thinning, he continued, "There will be many that will be displeased with your decision, your father not the least."

"Let them be displeased, then," was her rebuttal.

The chieftain nodded, his reluctance fading into acceptance. "Very well, then. You and Aragorn will go to Rivendell and with my blessing. May the Valar watch over the both of you."





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List