Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Glistening  by Ellie

Thanks to Ghettoelleth for her encouragement.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

The trees of the forest spoke welcome to him as he hurried along the path. Though not visibly marked in the ground, this was a trail he had traversed for many turns of the stars, not always through this same forest, but always between the same two places: the settlement of the Noldor and the settlement of the Teleri. If it were not for the fact that his group was so much larger than that of his best friend’s or that his folk were more loathe to depart from the confines of the known darkness to venture forth to the glorious light of the Two Trees, he would travel side by side with Finwë for the entire journey to Valinor.

Every time he left his friend to venture home among his own folk again, he wished he could find a new way to further motivate his people to move faster. If his brother Olwë’s host would just move more quickly through the forests and across the rivers… If dissenters would cease rising up from among the ranks of his brother’s host… If only he could show his people the indescribable beauty of the light toward which he led them … If Oromë would just stay with them instead of galloping on ahead with his radiant holy light leaving deeper shadows in his wake… Then they would not tarry on the road. If… If… If…

Now the Noldor were preparing to rise and continue the journey once again. And once again his host would be left by the wayside. Once again, his people would be too loathe to depart and go forth to the new. How could he interrupt this pattern? How could he change the ways of his folk? How could he better describe to them the wonder of a light beyond that of fire, beyond that of lightening in a storm, beyond that of the very stars themselves, bathing all of the world in wondrous illumination?

Of a sudden, the song of nightingales reached out to him. He froze, unable to move as the sound filled his mind with solace, caressing his very fëa with a joy like starlight kissing his eyes. Gradually regaining his limbs, his concerns were utterly forgotten as he searched in wonder for the source of that beauteous sound. Deeper into the wood of Nan Elmoth he strode, heedless of the measure of time, enchanted beyond all other purpose, following the birds to find that which had touched his very heart.

He knew not the miles he had traveled nor cared, for what could matter but that glorious music? Finally, something glistening in the distance, glowing brighter than one of Varda’s stars through the trees, caught his eye. He ran toward this light, flying through the forest with long swift strides, soon finding himself in a clearing. Starlight smiled upon him as he beheld the light of the Two Trees once again, shining in the face of the most beautiful maiden had ever seen. Her long dark hair cascaded about her lithe voluptuous body like the black woven among the stars of the sky. An all consuming love filled his heart as he slowly advanced, taking her small white hand in his. And time stood still…





        

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List