Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Glistening  by Ellie

Slowly he emerged from the river, rivulets of water pouring down his body, dripping from his long black hair. Hard muscles rippled enticingly across his torso as he made his way to the bank. He was brave, loyal, passionate, the greatest of his mortal kind. And most importantly of all, he was hers.

Curling her legs to one side, her bare feet tucked beneath her skirt, she rested her back against a tree, so she could better admire him in all of his magnificent glory. She watched the light of the new day glistening in the tiny droplets which clung to his skin like the stars cleaving themselves to the heavens, like she had clung to him last night.

Smiling contentedly, she remembered the night she first held him to her. She had danced in the starlight, singing for joy. Suddenly a rich desperate voice called out to her, “Tinúviel! Tinúviel!” stilling her step, silencing her song. He came to her then, way-worn, weary, without home or lands. She looked upon his keen grey eyes in his handsome face, seeing the scars of mortality etched upon his hard features and his well-formed body. Then her sight pierced through to the mighty and glorious fëa within and she knew she could love no other. So spellbound was she that when he drew her into his arms and worshipfully kissed her lips, she could do not but respond in kind. Lovingly, she drew him down to lay his weary head upon her breast, giving him healing respite for a single night and herself dreams of what her life could be. Then as the stars faded from the sky, she had slipped away.

They had faced so many obstacles together since then, seen so many times both evil and good. But now, in spite of those trials and because of them, they were married at last and not even death could part them. And now at last, her dreams of that first starry night were coming true.

Beren softly approached and reclined on the mossy ground beside her. Taking her in his arms, he laid her down, kissing her lingeringly. When their lips parted from the bliss, he whispered, “My Tinúviel.”

She smiled up at him. “My beloved,” and gently she took his hand and placed it upon her flat belly. “Last night you gave me a gift and in time I shall return him to you.”

He looked at her curiously for a moment, then wonder and joyous realization lit his features.

“In the spring, I shall bear your son,” she said.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List