Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Faint Heart Never Won Fair Lady  by Rose Gamgee

Chapter 3 - Friendly Torture

*~*~*~*

Looking timid and uncertain, Rosie turned to face Estella. "Does it look all right?"

Estella grinned. "Let me put it this way - I don't think Sam will be able to get through much of his vows without stuttering."

Rosie returned the grin and caressed some of the delicate white fabric that made up the dress she now wore. "You really think so?"

Smirking, Estella replied, "Now, would I lie about something so important as your wedding dress? I do have a heart sometimes, you know."

"Sometimes," Rosie agreed. She turned back to the mirror standing in her bedroom. "It's just strange. I've never worn something so fancy. And expensive! I was amazed that Dad would allow me to spend so much on something I'm only going to wear once."

"Well, I've been told that one time is special enough to warrant a great amount of spending."

"It must be," Rosie replied as Estella kneeled in front of her to adjust the hem of the dress. "Sam has been spending a downright atrocious amount of gold so that everything will be perfect."

Estella smirked again and looked up at Rosie. "Isn't that lovely. He's going to waste all of his gold on the wedding so that once you're married, you'll be the one to provide for everyone."

Rosie wrinkled her nose playfully. "I happen to think it is quite sweet. He wants everything to be just right." Her look became wistful and dreamy. "I love him so much..." Rosie apparently didn't realize she had said that aloud, for she looked up in surprised and blushed scarlett when Estella began to laugh.

"Oh Rosie, I've been telling you that for years." Rosie joined in her friend's laughter as Estella spoke again. "Who would've ever thought that I would be the voice of reason for once?"

"Not me, that's for certain," Rosie said with a grin. She began to toy with her hair, testing different looks that would match the dress. After a moment, she said, "Oh, Sam and I are going to Bag End with Merry and Pippin tomorrow; they're going to help us write up the invitations. Would you like to come?"

Estella had pulled out a box of hair ornaments and was now holding them up to Rosie's brown curls. "Of course, as long as you can keep Merry and Pippin at a safe distance from me."

Rosie smiled. "Come now, you know they've become much more mature than before they left the Shire. Merry especially." Estella was still busy with some hair pins and therefore did not see the searching look her friend gave her at this last statement.

"I suppose so," Estella replied casually, tossing a particularly gaudy tiara over her shoulder.

With a small sigh, Rosie began to undo the lacings in the back of the dress. "Stella, help me with these straps, will you? Honestly, this dress is such a pain to take off..."

When Rosie had pulled on her normal clothing and was smoothing out the wrinkles on the wedding dress, she gave Estella a sidelong glance. "By the way... Merry has been asking about you."

Estella looked at her skeptically. "Why, does he need someone to shove down a hill?"

Wearing a small smile, Rosie shook her head. "No, he's just been asking me things. How you are, where you are, where you'll be later on..."

Estella furrowed her brows. "He does seem to be showing up more often nowadays..." She then raised an eyebrow. "Just what are you implying?"

Rosie's faintly impish smile widened slightly. "Nothing at all! I just find it a bit... curious."

Estella laughed. "Oh, but I do know what you're implying, my dear Rosie." She brought her hands to her face in the manner of a swooning maiden. "It's completely obvious that the great war hero Meriadoc Brandybuck is absolutely smitten with me, the most bull-headed lass in the Shire."

"But my dear Estella, you say that as though it's an impossibility!" In response to the dubious look her friend was giving her, Rosie continued, "Well, doesn't it make sense that a courageous lad would want a more challenging lady to win over?"

Estella rolled her eyes. "Surely you know I would never allow any lad to 'win me over'."

While carefully hanging the dress up in her closet, Rosie sighed dramatically. "Very well, I'll say no more on the subject. Now I shall move on to other methods of torture."

Estella gave a lopsided smile. "Do your worst."

Rosie reached into a drawer and pulled out a brush. "All right - you're going to help me with my hair."

*~*~*~*~*





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List