Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Faint Heart Never Won Fair Lady  by Rose Gamgee

Thank you so much for the review, Miriel! I'm glad you're enjoying my take on Merry and Estella's relationship. I also wish there were more Merry/Estella stories out there! And I'm very happy that you liked the changes; I wasn't sure if they fit in with the rest of the story.

*~*~*~*~*

Chapter 4 - Friendly Torture, Part 2

*~*~*~*

"Frodo, there's hardly any food here."

Allowing a small smile to creep across his face, Frodo replied, "That's because you've eaten it all, Pip."

Sam and Merry, sitting near Pippin at the table, laughed good-naturedly at this.

"Hmph," Pippin said, wearing a look of mock-insult. "You should know to be better stocked when you have company over."

Frodo's smile widened. "Well, usually I have Sam to remind me of such things, but he's been a bit busy lately." Frodo couldn't help but laugh at the blush forming on Sam's face.

Taking a bite out of what was probably the last roll left in Bag End, Pippin chuckled. "I'd say he's allowed to be distracted by this little wedding of his."

"Which reminds me--" Frodo turned to Sam. "When are Rosie and Estella supposed to be here?"

"Not long after ten," Sam replied. "So anytime now, I assume." It was then that he noticed Merry's face had gone slightly pink and he wore a strange look. "Something wrong, Mister Merry?"

Merry's eyes widened slightly. "Oh, no. Nothing at all." He glared daggers in Pippin's direction when his younger friend began to snicker. "It's just that... well, Estella doesn't seem to like me very much."

As he brought his mug to his lips, Frodo said, "Bit of an understatement, don't you think?"

Merry's expression turned slightly foul. "Is it my fault she can't forget everything that I used to tease her about when we were children?"

Frodo smiled at this as he stood and collected the empty plates. "That is an awful lot to forget. You must admit, you were quite a menace as a child."

Merry was preparing a rebuke when there was a knock at the door. Sam all but leapt up from his chair and walked swiftly towards the door. His friends turned just in time to see a brown-haired blur rushing into his arms.

"Been almost a day since you've seen each other, I take it?" Merry called out to them with a grin.

Rosie pulled away from Sam enough to answer, "Two days, if you please." Much to everyone's surprise, when Rosie turned her gaze back to Sam, he tilted her chin and kissed her deeply.

When they parted, Sam saw his friends' grins out of the corner of his eyes and blushed. "Two days is a long time, I'll have you know," he said to them defensively.

Frodo joined Sam in front of the door. "Please come in Rosie - and Estella! It's wonderful to see you again. I trust you've been taking good care of your dear brother?"

Estella stepped inside as Frodo closed the door behind her. "But of course, Mister Baggins! He'll be Fatty again in no time, I can assure you."

"Good to hear!" Frodo replied as he herded them all towards the kitchen table, where Merry and Pippin were pouring tea. Pippin stood and bowed to Rosie.

"Lovely to see you again, as always, my future Lady Gamgee."

Rosie gave him a small courtsey. "Same to you, my future Thain."

As this was happening, Estella found herself facing Merry. She smiled thinly at him. "Merry," she said, inclining her head.

He returned her gesture. "Estella."

Frodo took the basket that Estella had been holding, which was filled with many small papers, and set it down on the table. "Shall we begin?" he asked.

As Pippin took a seat next to his cousin, he asked, "So what exactly do you need us for, Rosie?"

Fighting a grin, Rosie answered, "Well, it's not so much as needing you, Pippin, more as you seem to show up quite often."

Pippin looked aghast. "Why Rosie, are you implying that you don't want me here?"

Rosie finally succumbed to the grin. "Nonsense! I'm sure you'll be of great assistance."

"Of course! I can be quite helpful if I'm feeling so inclined."

"And how often does that happen, Pip?" Merry inquired, grabbing a handful of envelopes.

Pippin opened his mouth to respond and lifted a finger in the manner of someone about to state a very intelligent defense. He froze in this position for a moment before realizing there was nothing convincing he could say. But he laughed along with his companions.

The afternoon continued with the same lighthearted manner and many playful exchanges. Around four o'clock, Estella stood and stretched.

"Rosie, is it all right if I-- Rosie? Rosie!"

Rosie blinked several times before turning to look at her friend. "Hm, what?"

Estella smirked. "It is rude to stare, Rose Cotton, even at your fiancé."

Rosie blushed, her eyes widening. She was beginning to stammer out a reply when Sam decided push aside his own embarassment and intervene. "No harm in looking, Miss Estella."

Estella laughed at this and patted Rosie on the head. "Seeing as how you are but a love-sick wife-to-be, I shall forgive you your ways."

Rosie's blush deepened; she attempted to scowl, but her smile would not allow it. "Are you taking a break, then?"

Cracking her knuckles, Estella replied, "Just for a moment. I'm going to get some fresh air."

When Rosie turned back to face the others at the table, she noticed Merry's gaze seemed to be following Estella as she walked out the door. As he watched her, he wore a far-off, almost dreamy look. After Estella had closed the door behind her, Rosie smiled and said, "You seem a bit distracted, Merry."

Her voiced snapped Merry out of his daze. "Oh, no, I just... have a headache."

"So that's what they're calling it nowadays?" Frodo inquired innocently.

"Calling what?" Merry looked like he was about to be arrested.

The others laughed, and Pippin clapped his hand on his friend's shoulder. "Also, weren't you paying attention to what Estella was just saying? It is impolite to stare."

Merry's look turned into that of a child who had been caught in the middle of a mischevious act. "My gaze was wandering! And like Sam said - there's nothing wrong with looking!"

Pippin's eyebrows raised in mock-astonishment. "Even when it's Estella?"

"Since when did Estella become so special?"

Frodo chuckled. "I was about to ask you the same thing."

Now Merry simply looked as though he wanted to hit something, namely Pippin, who was laughing hysterically. Luckily for poor Merry, the subject was dropped the moment Estella re-entered Bag End. Merry never thought he would be so happy to see her.

*~*~*~*~*





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List