Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Faint Heart Never Won Fair Lady  by Rose Gamgee

Thanks for the review, LarelinsSong! I'm really glad you're liking this story. :-)

*~*~*~*~*

Chapter 5 - The Wayward Groom

*~*~*~*

"Gone? What do you mean he's gone?"

Merry took a deep breath, fighting to regain his composure. "I didn't say he was gone. We just can't seem to find him."

Estella blinked at him, her face filled with disbelief and more than a hint of frustration. "You can't find him?" she hissed. "You misplaced the groom?"

Glancing around furtively, he whispered back, "Listen, calm down! He simply stepped outside for a moment, and we were getting worried because he hasn't come back yet. It's nothing to panic about!"

Estella massaged her temples as she responded, "How long ago was this?"

"Ahh, well..." Merry suddenly became preoccupied with his feet. "An hour, maybe."

Her eyes widened. "Merry. The wedding is in less than an hour, and you're telling me that no one knows where Sam is?" As he attempted to stammer out a response, she spoke again. "Is anyone even looking for him?"

"Frodo left about ten minutes ago to look--"

"Oh good," Estella breathed with relief, interrupting whatever else Merry was about to say. "Frodo will talk some sense into him. And in the mean time--" Here she shook her finger under Merry's nose sharply. "Don't you go around telling everyone about this. I don't want people to make a fuss, and I certainly don't want Rosie finding out!"

Scowling, Merry pushed her finger away from his face. "Don't worry, I'm not quite as foolish as you may think. I won't breathe a word of it to anyone. You just let Frodo and Pippin and me handle this while you can go back to doing whatever it is girls do at weddings."

He started to turn away when Estella spoke. "Well I don't know what other girls do at weddings, but I consider part of my job to be making sure I know where the bride is."

Merry turned back to find her standing with her arms crossed, wearing a small smirk. He stepped closer to her, close enough that they were not touching, but that Estella was forced to crane her neck to look him in the eyes. Merry permitted himself a cocky smile at this, which made the half-smile Estella was wearing fade away in an instant, replaced by a very foul look.

"I'm terribly sorry that something has happened that is not in your control," Merry said with a hint of smugness and more than a hint of sarcasm. "I know how much you love holding everyone's leash."

Estella's face became stony, and her eyes carried... was it pain? When she spoke, her voice was low and icy. "You know nothing about me, Merry. Nothing."

For a moment, Merry could only stare. He had never seen Estella look so serious, or so sad, and he felt guilty for having brought it about. And much to his surprise, he felt an overwhemling desire to chase the sadness from her; at that moment, he longed above all else to do something, anything, to make her smile.

If only she would have let him.

Merry was spared thinking further on the subject when Pippin suddenly appeared, gasping for breath, at his cousin's side.

"What is it?" Merry asked, taking Pippin by the shoulders. "Did you find him?"

Pippin nodded. "Frodo's with him right now, but he sent me for reinforcements."

"Is Sam all right?" Estella inquired, her eyebrows furrowed with concern.

Shaking his head uncertainly, Pippin replied, "I don't know. I think he might just be nervous... well, really nervous."

"All right," Merry said. "Take me to him." And as he dashed off in pursuit of his cousin, part of Merry was glad to leave the awkward moment with Estella behind. The other part, however, wanted to run back and take her into his arms for a tight embrace, despite the fact that he would either be smacked, kicked, or throttled as a consequence.

Merry and Pippin soon came to a small grove near the Water outside of Hobbiton. There they found a rather amused Frodo sitting next to a very jittery-looking Samwise.

Upon reaching them, Merry supressed a slight desire to kick Sam. "Well Master Gamgee, you've certainly had us worried."

"I'm terribly sorry, Mister Merry, I just... needed some time to think things over, if you follow me."

"And have you come to any conclusions?" Merry asked, sitting on the soft grass across from Sam.

Frodo smiled. "He seems to be having a moment of self-doubt."

Merry raised an eyebrow. "Self-doubt? I think you'd best explain yourself, Sam."

Sam shifted a bit, his brow creased with worry. "I've just been thinking... where do I get off thinking I have the right to marry someone like her?" When Merry raised both eyebrows at this, Sam continued, his voice wistful and forlorn. "She's kind, loving, clever, gentle, and more beautiful than all the stars in the sky. In short, she's everything I'm not. How could..." He sighed, looking down at his lap. "How could I think I'm worthy of her?"

His brows furrowed, Merry leaned in closer to Sam, staring him directly in the eye. Lowering his voice, he said, "So you're going to abandon her on what was to be the happiest day of her life in the hopes that she'll come to her senses. Correct?"

Sam shifted again. "It's not that I want to hurt her, I would never want to hurt her, it's just... I can't marry her. I'll never make her happy!"

Merry leaned in closer, and Sam flinched at his friend's surprisingly intimidating glare. "So you think that, do you? Listen to me, Sam - anyone has the power to make someone else happy. But if you wouldn't do everything in your power to make Rosie happy, then ." He lowered his voice even more. "If that's the case, you really don't deserve her." He poked Sam hard in the chest. "I thought you were more loyal than that. And I also thought you were braver than that." Leaning back, Merry sighed dramatically. "Well, perhaps you were wrong about Samwise the Stouthearted, Frodo."

Frodo, who was now lying on the grass and gazing at the passing clouds, replied, "It would certainly appear that way."

Pippin shook his head and tsked. "At my most cowardly moments, I was much braver than that."

This was all too much for Sam. He leaped up, tears springing to his eyes. "You're right, Mister Merry. You're all right. Rosie chose me, and though I still think I don't in the least bit deserve her, I certainly have no right to refuse her!" With that, he trudged up the hill and marched back towards Hobbiton, his head held high.

Frodo chuckled softly. "Well done, Merry."

Merry stared at Frodo for a moment. "Frodo, I know for a fact that you could have done just as well, if not better, than I did."

"Well you see, Merry, it was much more fun to watch you do it."

Grinning, Merry replied, "Oh? And if I hadn't suceeded?"

A small smile coming to his face, Frodo answered, "Then I would've had even more fun watching Pippin have a go at it."

*~*~*~*

Much to Estella's surprise and relief, she saw Sam entering Bag End (which had been loaned to the lasses to help Rosie get ready) and walk swiftly towards her, a bright gleam in his eye.

"I have to talk to Rosie. Where is she?" he asked earnestly.

Estella folded her arms and raised her chin. "Samwise Gamgee, you know for a fact that the groom isn't allowed to see his future wife before the wedding," she said snippily, fighting the urge to slap him hard across the face; she was still very angry with him for even considering leaving Rosie on their wedding day.

"Please, Estella, this is very important. I have to ask her something."

Pursing her lips, Estella repsonded, "I think you've already asked her the most important question you ever will need to ask."

Anxiety etched across his features, Sam pleaded again, "I think this might be more important just at the moment, if you get my meaning."

"Sam?" a soft voice interrupted their conversation. They both turned to find Rosie standing in the hallway, already in her wedding dress.

Sam thought his legs might give way just by looking at her. He somehow managed to make his way over to her, and, taking her hands, stared deep into her eyes and spoke, "Rosie, I have something very important I need to ask you."

Rosie didn't look worried, merely curious. "What is it?"

Sam took a deep breath. "Am I going to make you happy?"

Smiling, Rosie replied, "Why Sam, don't you know?" At his look of uncertainty, she brought her hand up to caress his face. "You already have."

After a moment of stunned silence, Sam laughed through his tears. "Well! I guess that settles it, then! I'll... well, I'll see you soon, I suppose." With that, he kissed her on the cheek and quickly walked out of Bag End.

Still smiling, Rosie turned to look at her friend, who had remained quiet throughout the exchange. "Did I not tell you there was nothing to worry about, Stella?"

Estella returned her smile. "I guess you were right. I still don't know how you were so certain he would return, though."

Walking up to the window and peering out at the retreating back of her future husband, Rosie replied, "I know my Samwise. He would never have abandoned me." She returned her gaze to Estella and said, "What I don't understand is why you told me about it in the first place."

Estella blushed and looked away. Truth be told, she had been unable to look at Rosie, all the while knowing that her fiancé had been gone for over an hour. The moment she and Rosie had been alone, Estella had blurted the news out without thinking.

But Rosie had once more followed her heart, and had somehow known that everything would turn out all right.

Estella's thoughts were interrupted by Marigold Gamgee entering the room, carrying a box of hair supplies. She spoke brightly to the other girls. "What are you two standing around for? Come now, Rosie, we have to get your hair ready - it's almost time!"

*~*~*~*~*





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List