Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Elf, Interrupted: Book One: Glorfindel Redux  by Fiondil

87: The Servant-Prince’s Oath

Lunch was delayed by Ingwion’s breakdown, but no one minded. Afterwards, Lord Námo encouraged the ellon to go down to the beach for a while and get some fresh air.

"The winter storms will only worsen," the Vala said, "and soon you will not want to go out at all. Best to enjoy it while you can."

This time, much to Ingwion’s surprise, Tiutalion did not escort him, nor remind him, as he had always done in the past, that he must come when called. "I have better things to do than play nanny to you," the Maia said with a smile. "You can find your own way to the beach. Stay as long as you like, but if you miss dinner it’ll be your own fault."

Ingwion went, practically skipping down the steep stairs at the sudden freedom he’d been given. It was high tide when he went down and the pounding of the surf was all that could be heard. Ingwion idly began building a sandcastle, not really paying attention to anything in particular. Then, something made him look up and staring out into the ocean he espied a thing that literally took his breath away.

For a moment he stood there stunned, not sure what he was seeing, and then he was running to the rockfall and climbing as quickly as he could, quite forgetting in his excitement that it was forbidden to him. Yet, no sword-bearing Maia appeared and soon he was at the top. He did not, however, cast his eyes on the beach beyond, but looked back out to sea.

At first he thought he had lost sight of what he had seen earlier and sadness took him, but then a waterspout appeared, a large creature broke the surface, its huge tail coming up and slapping the surface of the sea with a resounding splash. Ingwion was mesmerized, wondering what sort of creature it was.

"They call themselves the Eärnyellor."

Ingwion turned suddenly at the voice behind him. Ulmo stood there calmly looking at the ellon.

"They?"

The Vala nodded towards the creature, now joined by several others, as it made its way southward. "They are the sea-shepherds and they have grave responsibility in guarding those who live within the oceans of Arda. Their songs are quite beautiful, though you would be unable to hear them."

Ingwion turned back to watch the impossibly huge creatures swim gracefully through the waters, plunging into its depths and then breaching. It was breathtaking and Ingwion felt something inside him soar at the sight of it. He felt Ulmo placing a hand on his shoulder and turned his head to see the Lord of Waters smiling benignly at him.

"I see you have accepted Námo’s offer of apprenticeship," Ulmo said.

Ingwion shook his head. "There was no offer, Lord. He just told me I was to be his apprentice."

"Yet you wear his sister’s emblem, which is the first step in being Námo’s apprentice."

Now Ingwion blushed. "Only because every stitch I own disappeared overnight and this was all that was left for me to wear."

Then Ulmo threw back his head and laughed and the sound of it was deep as the ocean and just as wild. "Nienna, Nienna, you are truly a wicked child."

Ingwion just stared at the Vala, not sure what was going on. Ulmo noticed the concerned and confused look on the ellon’s face and smiled warmly. "Well, regardless, I’m glad you have agreed. Lord Manwë’s been pushing our younger brother into taking an apprentice for some time now but Námo was adamant in his refusal to accept one. When you showed up the way you did that day, dripping with fury as well as with rainwater, Manwë saw the perfect opportunity to force the issue."

Ingwion looked back out to sea, thinking about that day: Lord Manwë’s initial refusal to see him and then the sudden capitulation. Lord Námo’s own reaction on seeing him...

"He said he didn’t want me to be his apprentice," Ingwion finally said.

"It would be more correct to say that he didn’t want to have any apprentice," Ulmo countered. "But what he wants isn’t necessarily what he needs."

Ingwion turned back to Ulmo in surprise. "He said the same thing to me."

Ulmo nodded reflectively. "Well, at least he’s learned something from this, and while you may not believe it, child, he does need you, more than you can ever guess."

Ingwion suddenly had the strangest feeling that there was more going on underneath the surface than he ever suspected. It had never occurred to him to think that the Valar themselves had a structure of society that enforced certain obligations upon them that they might find onerous, or at least unwelcome, much as was common with life among the Eldar. He found his own duties as haryon mostly enjoyable, but he did not always like some aspects of his role and the obligations such a role entailed. He could almost sympathize with Lord Námo.

"I will try my best to be obedient to Lord Námo’s word, Lord," Ingwion said.

Ulmo laughed. "But I hope not too obedient." When Ingwion gave him a quizzical look the Vala just laughed louder. "Child, I sincerely hope you make my brother’s life miserable. He’s getting much too complacent and needs a little shaking up and I think you’re just the elf to do it, too."

Ingwion wasn’t sure if he should take that as a compliment, and in the end, decided to ignore it. He was sure that there would be times when he would be less than sterling in his behavior as an apprentice, but he hoped he was mature enough to keep such lapses in manners to a minimum. He was still haryon to the High Kingship, whatever else he might be, and he wasn’t about to forget it. I just hope no one else does, he thought ruefully as he stared down at the emblem stitched on his tunic.

Ulmo divined his thoughts and placed a gentle hand on the ellon’s shoulder. "You know I am only teasing you and Námo," he said quietly. "I know that you will be good for each other and to each other. I have no fear for either of you on that account and I think you will find that being my brother Vala’s apprentice will not be as onerous as you might suspect. What others might think of the situation is their business and you should not be overly concerned. You are indeed haryon, but you are more than that. You are also a servant. The two are not incompatible. Indeed, one cannot truly be the one without being the other."

Ingwion nodded, feeling somewhat mollified by the Vala’s words. Ulmo bent down and kissed him on the forehead in benediction and then the elf was alone.

****

Returning from the beach sometime later, Ingwion made his way to his room and decided to nap. The emotions of the morning and their implications were catching up with him and he decided a short rest before dinner would not be amiss. He was surprised, therefore, to awaken to Tiutalion’s gentle shaking and to find that it was already dark outside.

"Wh-what time is it?" he asked blearily as he struggled out of bed.

"Time for you to get up, child. Your bath is waiting."

"Huh?" Ingwion’s head felt muzzy and he was not sure what the Maia was telling him.

Tiutalion merely led him to the bathing chamber and helped him out of his clothes. "I’ll have fresh clothing for you shortly."

With that, the Maia left and Ingwion climbed into the tub. Almost at once he began to feel more awake and aware of his surroundings. He must have been more exhausted than he originally thought. Soaking in the hot water brought him back to himself and by the time Tiutalion came back he was wide awake and busily drying himself off. The Maia handed him a freshly pressed grey tunic and surcoat.

Besides the fresh clothes, Tiutalion had also brought a small tray of food. "You missed dinner, but here is a light repast. You should eat it all as you’ll need your strength for the coming ceremony."

"Ceremony?" Ingwion asked. "What ceremony?"

"Well, in case you’ve forgotten, my prince," Tiutalion said with a grin, "this is the Merendë Andohrívëo."

"Oh, yes, of course," Ingwion nodded as he took a soft roll and began to eat it. "Sorry. I’ve quite forgotten what day it is anymore."

Tiutalion nodded his understanding and once Ingwion had finished his meal they made their way downstairs to the cloister where they found Nienna, Námo and Ulmo along with Nienna’s Maiar servants waiting for them. The night was lit only by starlight but the Valar and Maiar glowed faintly with their own light. Ingwion did too, though he was unaware of it.

Nienna gestured for Ingwion to join her and the other Valar by the fountain while the Maiar ranged around the covered walk. Some were even on the upper gallery looking down.

Nienna glanced around. "Tonight is the Merendë Andohrívëo, in which we celebrate the longest night of the year. Tomorrow, Light will return once more unto Arda in all its glory. Yet, darkness has its place and proper sphere, as well, and so we honor it tonight." She paused for a moment before continuing, casting a quick glance at her brother. "However, we will be dispensing with our usual ceremony. Instead, we will stand witness to Prince Ingwion taking oath to my brother Námo as his apprentice."

Ingwion went white at those words and Ulmo had to take his elbow and steady him. Intellectually the ellon knew that he would have to undergo an oathtaking, but he didn’t realize, or refused to consider, that he would be taking it so soon. He looked pleadingly at Lord Námo, but the Lord of Mandos shook his head and gave the ellon a sympathetic smile.

Nienna put a comforting arm around Ingwion’s shoulders. "Fear not, child!" she said softly. "You and my brother may both think you’ve been coerced into this but believe me when I tell you that all has been done in accordance to Eru’s will. My brother recognizes this, little though he likes it, and he accepts the situation joyfully in obedience to Ilúvatar. You must learn to do the same if you wish this experience to be fruitful rather than fearful."

"I will try, Lady," Ingwion whispered, not quite able to keep the tremor from his voice. Nienna gave him a brief hug and a kiss on the cheek before releasing him. Then she glanced at Námo, who stood there in darkling splendour. He was dressed in an ankle-length midnight blue velvet tunic with blue-grey squirrel fur trimming the tight sleeves and high neck. The front of the tunic was stiff with silver thread embroidery showing Telperion in full bloom with Isil above it. A belt of linked mithril inset with fire opals cinched the waist. His braided hair was crowned with a mithril coronet. There was a single large cut sapphire in the center of the coronet. It was the Vala’s only jewelry except for the gems in his hair.

"Come to me Ingwion, haryon of Eldamar," Námo intoned with the deepest gravity. Ingwion felt himself shaking as he took the few steps that separated him from the Vala and he hoped desperately he would not embarrass himself. Then, he was kneeling before Námo and his hands were being held by the Vala. Words formed in his mind, though he did not know whence they came, for he had never heard them before, and he found himself speaking them out loud.

"Here do I, Ingwion of the Vanyar, give unto thee my oath, that I will be obedient in all things, in hröa and fëa, to thy will, to come when thou sayest ‘come’, to go when thou sayest ‘go’, that I may be found acceptable in the eyes of Eru Ilúvatar as thy apprentice. Valar valuvar tenn’ Ambar-metta."

Then Námo was speaking and his voice was full of bells and there was the sense of Another speaking through him that sent shards of awe piercing Ingwion’s heart.

"Here do I, Námo, Lord of Mandos, accept your oath, Ingwion of the Vanyar, and I shall reward obedience with love and disobedience with patience, for I know you will falter in your resolve at times, Child of Ilúvatar, but in all things I shall remain faithful and you will know that I love you even when I must chastise you."

They were not the words Ingwion expected and he felt a tremor of fear rush through him, but then Námo was lifting him from his knees and giving him the kiss of liege lord to vassal and then he gave him one more kiss and for an eternal moment Ingwion felt the Other’s Presence more fully and completely.

He was unaware that he screamed in joy as divine ecstasy took him, nor was he aware of Námo holding him through the experience or that the other Valar and Maiar looked upon him with awe. Finally, the last wave of ecstasy rolled over him and he came back to himself to find that he was weeping softly in Námo’s arms while the Lord of Mandos crooned a soft lullaby, rubbing his back to will calmness. When at last his tears ceased and he was himself again, he sighed and found himself drifting towards sleep.

Then he felt Nienna take him from Námo’s embrace and place him in Tiutalion’s care and soon he was climbing into bed and was asleep before his head hit the pillow.

****

He awoke to bright sunshine and Námo sitting patiently by his bed. "Good morning, yonya. Did you sleep well?"

Ingwion nodded, feeling suddenly shy and didn’t know where he should look as he struggled into a sitting position. He finally settled on staring at his lap. "Yes, thank you... er... Master." That sounded very strange and he wasn’t sure he would ever get used to it but knew that he would have to. He tried to keep in mind that his own cousin, Arafinwë, had been apprenticed to Lord Manwë and still called the Elder King "Master" at times.

Námo gave the ellon a smile, though Ingwion was too busy looking at his knees to notice. "I have something for you, my apprentice."

Ingwion looked up then, surprise and curiosity foremost in his expression. "Wh-what?"

"It is customary for a liege lord to gift someone on the occasion of their taking oath, so here is your gift." Námo leaned over and handed Ingwion a small box made of some dark wood unfamiliar to the elf. When Ingwion just sat there staring at the box, Námo chuckled. "You’re supposed to open it, son."

Ingwion started, as if suddenly coming to and blushed. "S-sorry." He picked up the box and opened it, gasping at what he saw within. It was a ring made from mithril and set with a ruby cabachon. Tengwar were etched into the band and Ingwion read them with care:

* Mápaimarinyanna * Ingwion * Herutyallo * Námo *

He looked up at the Vala, and smiled. "Thank you," he whispered, then put the ring on his left ring finger. As soon as the ring was on him he gasped, feeling a slight shock and the stone turned dark. Ingwion looked at Námo somewhat fearfully. Námo frowned slightly.

"That’s not supposed to do that," he said half to himself and Ingwion felt himself becoming alarmed, not knowing what was going on. Almost immediately several things happened at once. Nienna suddenly appeared, looking concerned. Námo stood up. "Guard him," he said and disappeared. Then, the room became impossibly small as several sword-bearing Maiar appeared, ringing the bed. Most had the emblem of the Elder King embroidered on their surcoat, while a few others wore the insignia of Tulkas. Ingwion sat frozen in bed, unsure what, if anything, he should do.

One thing, though....

He started to remove Námo’s gift-ring when Nienna stayed him. "Nay, child, remove not the ring. It is your only safety."

"Safety... from what?" he cried but the Valië either would not or could not answer. He stared around at the Maiar who stood facing outward. The ones nearest to him were grim of face, from what he could see of their profiles from his position. What, by all that’s holy, was happening?

Then the ruby brightened to its original color and Námo reappeared, but he was not alone.

".... and you could have warned me. He is my apprentice after all!" Námo was shouting at Manwë and Aulë who were both smiling at the irate Vala.

Ingwion sat there trying to peek between the Maiar to see what was going on. Námo looked rather put out and fumed before the Elder King and the Smith of the Valar while Manwë and Aulë grinned wickedly. Nienna, Ingwion noticed, merely rolled her eyes and gestured to the Maiar, who bowed to the Valar before disappearing. Ingwion wondered if he should try to get up and give his obeisance to Lord Manwë, although the thought of doing so in his nightshirt left him feeling embarrassed and he brought the bedclothes up under his chin instead.

"Now, Námo, there’s no harm done," Manwë said soothingly, but the Lord of Mandos was not ready to here such placating words.

"No harm! No harm?" the Vala shouted so loudly Ingwion had to cover his ears. "I’ll thank you to leave my apprentice alone. You had no right!"

Now Manwë’s humor fled and his visage darkened. "Take care, best beloved," he said quietly. "Right has nothing to do with it. We did what we thought best for the both of you." Somehow, Ingwion heard an echo of Another’s voice in the Elder King’s words and he was surprised to see Lord Námo actually pale and mutter an apology, giving Manwë a bow. Ingwion wasn’t sure if he didn’t prefer the Námo who was shouting to the one who stood there looking like a penitent elfling. That image of the mighty Vala was too disturbing for the elf.

However, by this time Ingwion had had enough. "Excuse me, my lords, but do you think you might remove yourselves and your argument from my presence so I can dress in private?" Ingwion spoke with as much imperious arrogance as he could muster, raising his eyebrow in the same manner as his atar whenever the High King had had enough of the pretensions of those around him.

All four Valar turned and looked at the Vanyarin prince in surprise at the tone of voice coming from the ellon sitting there with the bedclothes around him and suddenly all of them were laughing and everyone’s mood lightened. Manwë clapped Námo on the shoulder, his eyes twinkling with humor.

"He is indeed your apprentice, my brother. I wish you both joy in each other." With that, he and Aulë disappeared, leaving Ingwion alone with Námo and Nienna. The Valië gave her brother a look that the ellon could not interpret and without a word disappeared. Námo, he saw, was looking rueful.

"I’m sorry, child," the Vala said, sitting in the chair he’d vacated so quickly only moments before. "I was unaware that Lord Aulë gave your ring certain... properties when he made it for me."

"Wh-what sort of properties, Master?"

"When peril is imminent, the stone darkens in warning, returning to its original color when the danger has passed."

Ingwion stared at his ring, trying to understand. "It... it went dark when I put it on."

Námo nodded. "Yes. When you put the ring on for the first time it recognized you as its rightful owner and was... activated. Anyone else who wears the ring will not be able to use it as a warning against danger."

"Why did Lord Aulë..."

"Lord Manwë decided that you might need such protection when you eventually go to Tol Eressëa as our emissary." Here the Vala gave Ingwion a wry look. "The recent events prove that Tol Eressëa is an explosion waiting to happen. This ring, besides being a symbol of our relationship as master and apprentice, will also offer you warning of imminent peril, though it will not protect you from it. That will be up to you."

For a long moment, Ingwion stared at the ring and thought of the implications of the gift and the role he was expected to play from now on. Finally, he looked up and, giving the Vala a respectful bow of the head, said simply, "Thank you, Master. I will always treasure your gift."

"You’re welcome, child," Námo said with a smile.

Ingwion then gave the Vala a sly look. "Now... can I get dressed?"

Námo laughed as he disappeared, leaving Ingwion alone at last.

****

Eärnyellor: Plural of Eärnyello: Sea-Singer, i.e., the Humpback Whale.

Merendë Andohrívëo: Feast of Winter’s Gate, i.e., the Winter Solstice. The Summer Solstice was called Andolairë, or Summer’s Gate.

Opal: Symbol of faithfulness and confidence.

Sapphire: Symbol of wisdom and purity.

Valar valuvar tenn’ Ambar-metta: "The will of the Valar will be done unto World’s-End".

Ruby: Considered to be the most powerful gem in the universe. It was thought to grow darker when peril was imminent, and to return to its original color once danger was past—provided it was in the hands of its rightful owner! Given as a gift, the ruby is a symbol of friendship and love. It is also the symbol of royalty. It gives the wearer the ability to see things in a true and correct manner.

Mápaimarinyanna, Ingwion, Herutyallo, Námo: "Unto my apprentice, Ingwion, from your master, Námo". The English word apprentice ultimately is derived from the Latin verb apprehendere: "to apprehend", literally, "to seize or grasp (a situation)", thus I use the constructed word *mápaimar: mapa- "to grasp" + -ima "-able" (adjectival suffix) + -r (gender-neutral agental suffix) with lengthening of stem-vowel; literally, "one who is able to grasp (a concept)".





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List