Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Sun and Shadow  by sheraiah

Disclaimer: Y’all know the drill by now. Don’t own it; making no money, suing is pointless.

**************************************************************************


                                                Thranduil’s days were spent in councils with Celeborn, Elrond and the more experienced warriors present from all three realms. His evenings were spent with Valilis as often as possible. At the very least, they managed to see each other briefly on a daily basis. The budding relationship had not gone unnoticed and was a source of gossip for most, amusement for Celeborn and Elrond, and concern for Valilis’ family who were wary of Thranduil due to his reputation for being cold and intractable. Thranduil gritted his teeth and ignored the gossip, returned jibe for jibe with Celeborn and Elrond, and held his temper where Valilis’ family was concerned even though it annoyed him that they listened to gossip rather than to her. Valilis was far too intelligent and strong-willed to be taken in by sweet words and pretense, not that she had gotten either from him. If he could see that, why could they not?


                                                  He hurried back to his talan to change his clothing. The council had run late and he had barely enough time to reach the talan before Valilis was to arrive to meet him. He was frustrated by the outcome of the councils; it had been decided to take a ‘wait and see’ stance as nothing had revealed itself to Galadriel. Thranduil had reluctantly agreed to it, but chafed at the necessity of doing so. He was also frustrated by the attitude of Valilis’ family toward him. They did not forbid her to see him, wisely since she would have ignored them and done as she pleased, but they did not approve and made no bones about their lack of enthusiasm. It added an unwelcome factor of stress to the already stressful early stage of the relationship. In addition, time was growing short; he would be leaving for Greenwood in three days. He wished she could accompany him, but knew it was not possible at this juncture and he wanted to spend as much time as possible with her before he had to leave.


                                                     He reached the talan and hastened up the steps, pausing briefly when he heard Valilis’ voice coming from inside. He smiled; Luinloth had become very fond of her since Thranduil had formally introduced them. His assistant was probably amusing her with embarrassing stories from Thranduil’s childhood. He entered the talan and made his way to her side.


                                                 “My apologies for my tardiness, ‘Lilis. The council ran late. I will be with you in a few moments.” He dropped a kiss on the top of her head, ignoring Luinloth’s raised eyebrows at the display of affection and went into his bedchamber. Valilis merely grinned at Luinloth and waved him toward the bedchamber to assist Thranduil.


                                                 “You need not behave as if you as shocked, Luinloth.” Thranduil shot him an amused look as he entered. “I know how observant you are and we have not been secretive about our relationship.” Luinloth merely smiled and laid out Thranduil’s clothes. The king wasted no time in changing and then rejoined Valilis in the talan’s main room. She rose from her seat as he entered the room and walked to his side.


                                                “Shall we go? The sun will be down by the time we reach the flet.” She took his arm when he offered it and they departed for what they fondly called ‘their’ flet, stopping only briefly to obtain a basket of food for their evening meal.


**************************************************************************


                                             Much later that evening, the food had been consumed and the wine nearly so. Thranduil sat with his back against the tree trunk. Valilis was curled half in his lap, her folded legs next to his left hip and her head resting on his right shoulder with his arms enveloping her and his chin resting on the top of her head. Words were not necessary at the moment; they were content merely to be in each other’s arms. Valilis knew how rarely relaxed moments came to Thranduil and she cherished each one she spent with him.


                                             His left hand moved from her back to lightly stroke her cheek and then her hair before slipping under her thick tresses to rest on the back of her neck. His fingers drew lazy circles on the nape of her neck as he brushed his lips across her brow. She sighed and nuzzled into his neck. He knew full well that the nape of her neck was an erogenous zone and that he was playing with fire. Two could play this game; she decided and pulled his head down. She met his lips with hers, drew his lower lip into her mouth and began flicking her tongue lightly across it. He uttered a muffled growl and his arms clasped her tightly as he began to kiss her back.


                                                 She had discovered that the cold exterior he used as a shield hid a fiery passion that very few saw except in battle or when his temper got the better of him. He loved like he fought, although he had been keeping a rather tight reign on himself where she was concerned. Valilis knew that she had his heart, as he had hers. She began trailing her fingers from his back, up his chest to his neck then to his ear. Her fingertip traced the outer edge of his ear from the lobe to the tip and back in maddeningly light strokes. Her other hand was not idle either, it moved from being pressed at his waist to gripping his thigh.

                                                She shifted suddenly, giving him no time to react. She heaved herself up and moved swiftly from a half reclining position to one straddling him all the while stroking his ear and his thigh. Her efforts were having the desire effect on him. He growled in his throat again and kissed her harder, sliding one hand up to tangle in her hair and the other down to cup her bottom and press her tighter to him. He released her lips and began kissing his way down her jaw to her neck. His lips brushed her earlobe and he ran his tongue along the shell of her ear from lobe to tip, stopping to suckle on the point for a moment. “You are going to be the death of me, my heart.” He breathed into her ear, making her shiver with delight.  He eased her off his lap with great reluctance.    “ We agreed that we should not take this step just yet.” She heaved a ragged sigh and rested her forehead on his shoulder.


                                                  “I shall not rest tonight after this, you know.” She looked sulkily at him from under her lashes.


                                                   “And do you believe I shall? I pledge you I shall have to spend half the night in the coldest pool in Lorien merely to be able to walk tomorrow.” He gave her an amused look. “Besides, you started it.”


                                                “Aye, I did and I would continue if the timing were different. I find that I am as impatient as a mortal when it comes to you, eldu-nin [my star shadow, Lilis’ pet name for Thranduil. It is a play on his name. I use Ruth Noel‘s translation ‘Hall of the Star Shadow’ as the translation of ‘Thranduil‘.] Must you really leave so soon?”


                                                  “Unfortunately yes, I must. My heart, I have been away from my realm for nearly three months. I cannot neglect my duties however much I may wish to. It will not be so long until we see each other again. Did your parents not promise you that they and your sister would accompany you on a visit to Greenwood in two months time?” He stroked her jaw line with the knuckle of his index finger.


                                                   “Yes, we will travel with Lord Elrond and Lady Celebrian’s party when they leave to return to Imladris. I shall miss you terribly in the meantime.” She moved back into his lap and he cradled her, stroking her hair.


                                                   “Do you want a betrothal ring before I return to Greenwood?” She slapped his arm.


                                                    “Loon! As if you needed to ask!” He laughed and kissed her nose playfully.


                                                    “Very well then, I shall speak to your parents tomorrow. Will you dance with me at the feast?”


                                                     “Of course, but do not be jealous if I dance with many males. I have many friends here.” He arched a brow at her.


                                                      “Indeed? Well unless I wish to wear myself out, I cannot fight every male who looks at you. It would leave me little time for anything else and there are far too many things I wish to do.” He wore a slightly lecherous grin at that last and she laughed, pulling him into another kiss. It was several minutes later when he spoke again. “As much as I hate saying so my heart, the hour grows late. We should return to our talans. After I find that cold pool, that is,” he added with a slight grimace, only partially in jest. She giggled and moved from his lap allowing him to stand. He aided her to her feet and together they gathered up the remains of their meal and departed.


  

**************************************************************************

                                                The next morning Thranduil entered Celeborn’s study for the last of their councils. This one would iron out the details of regular messengers between the elven realms to keep each apprised of any needs or news from the others. Elrond looked up from his mug of tea at him and offered a greeting.


                                                  “Mae Govannen, mellon. I see that staying out half the night with your lady agrees with you.” Elrond smirked at him slightly. “When can we expect a betrothal announcement?” Celeborn looked up at that, interested. He rather hoped for a closer tie to his distant kinsman and had been observing the courtship covertly. Thranduil looked a bit uncomfortable for a moment, and then spoke up.


                                                  “Peredhel, you believe that since you are so very besotted with your spouse that all should seek the same.” He returned the Imladris lord’s smirk in kind, and then sobered. “However, as it happens I was about to inquire if Celeborn knew where Valilis and I could acquire two silver rings.” Celeborn smiled, greatly pleased.


                                                   “I believe I could arrange for two silver rings to reach both your talans within the day. Since you have no other family present, would you like me to speak for you? I would consider it an honor.” He clasped Thranduil’s shoulder. The king of Greenwood looked rather stunned for a moment before he replied.


                                                    “That is a kind offer, Celeborn and I thank you for it. I would like to observe all tradition in this, but I am concerned that if the request comes from you Valilis’ family may feel unduly pressured to agree to it. I do not want that. I know full well what reservations they have about me.” Again, he looked distinctly uncomfortable. Elrond hid a grin behind the rim of his mug, remembering his own nerve-wracking courtship of Celebrian. Celeborn hastened to reassure Thranduil.


                                                    “I will make certain that they know I am only acting as your family and not in my capacity as Lord. Thranduil, it would please me greatly to assist you in this. Do not refuse me, please.” At Thranduil’s assent, he moved to his desk and penned a letter to Valilis’ parents, then sent it with a messenger. “I have asked to meet them in their talan two hours after the mid-day meal. I will come to you directly as soon as I have their answer.” Thranduil nodded, suddenly feeling as though he would jump out of his skin at the least noise. He wondered idly if all elves felt as he did in this situation. Elrond took in his expression and laughed aloud, earning a fierce scowl.


                                                “Try to relax, Thranduil. All will be well and remember that both Celeborn and I have stood where you stand.” He smiled serenely, purposely ignoring the dirty look Thranduil shot him. “Celeborn, shall we have pity on this poor, nervous elf and take his mind off his beloved by discussing the matter of communications?” Celeborn shot an unreadable look at his son-in-law, and then a sly grin spread across his face.


                                                 “If my memory serves, Elrond, you have no room to speak. You were so nervous you turned as white as my tunic and we feared for a while that you might well disgrace yourself by fainting.” Thranduil recovered enough to snicker nastily at the faint hint of color that the statement produced on Elrond’s ears and Celeborn continued, “However, time runs short if I am to carry out my task this afternoon, so let us begin.” They accomplished their task quickly, more so than they normally would have since Thranduil was far too distracted to be obstinate. Elrond and Thranduil left Celeborn in his study just prior to luncheon.


                                                 “Come take luncheon with Celebrian and myself, Thranduil. I believe she has invited Valilis as well.” Elrond suppressed a grin at Thranduil’s swift assent.


                                                  Luncheon was pleasant. Elrond forebore teasing Thranduil and the ladies were already good friends. For his part, Thranduil was very fond of Celebrian and although he and Elrond occasionally got under each other’s skin he did respect the lord of Imladris and considered him a friend. It took very little time for Valilis to acclimate to the company she kept and soon she and Elrond were trading jibes and she and Celebrian banded together to tease both Elrond and Thranduil. Thranduil was enjoying himself so much that he did not note that the time for Celeborn to meet with Valilis’ parents had arrived.

**************************************************************************

                                                 Belegdur and Teluial waited apprehensively for their lord. Belegdur paced the length of the talan while his wife sat nervously picking at her embroidery. They had not long to wait, Lord Celeborn arrived promptly at the time he had requested. Belegdur respectfully invited him in and Celeborn bade his hosts to be seated.


                                                 “Peace, I come not with ill tidings, nor in truth as your lord.” Celeborn’s gentle smile eased his hosts’ fears a bit. “As you may know, Thranduil is a relative of mine. I am acting on his behalf and asking that there be a betrothal between Thranduil and your daughter, Valilis.” He chuckled inwardly at the shock on their faces, but his face bore no hint of it. He waited patiently for their response. Belegdur met his wife’s eyes for several moments then stolidly faced his lord.


                                               “My lord, we have some concerns about this relationship.” Celeborn had expected this and nodded.


                                               “I am aware of that as is Thranduil. Perhaps I can address them.” It was not a question.


                                                “I do believe that Valilis loves him, but we do not know much about him and what we have heard is not all favorable. My lord, I need to know that my daughter will be as cherished as she has been all her life.”  Celeborn smiled again.


                                                “I think you need have no fear on that score. From what I have seen, he loves her to distraction. Belegdur, I swore to him that I would not use undue influence on you to sway your answer. The betrothal is not a bonding. If they find that they do not suit each other, the betrothal can be revoked. All I ask is that you consider what Valilis wants.”


                                                “It seems we must agree then for she has made it plain that what she wants is King Thranduil.” Belegdur wore a resigned expression.

                                                “I think that you will find that your fears were unfounded. Be at peace, this is the right decision.” With that he rose and bade them farewell until the feast.
                                                

                                                 





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List