Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Sun and Shadow  by sheraiah

Disclaimer: Just borrowing them, I’ll return them unscathed.


Thank you, thank you, thank you for the reviews! 


Daw: It was the ‘make us like her, then kill her’ line that triggered this, believe it or not. It’s amazing how the simplest things trigger plot bunnies. My fic ‘Of a Father and Son’ was triggered by a mental image I had out of the blue of Thranduil sitting against a stone wall with an injured Legolas’ head resting on his thigh.


Jasta: I love watching the relationship grow, too. Relationships are kind of my thing as a writer, I guess. Go figure, I never would have thought it of myself. I’m certainly not much of a romantic, that’s my hubby’s department, LOL.


**************************************************************************

                                                Thranduil found himself impatient for his day to end. He seldom allowed himself to dwell on discontent with his duties, but today he found that he was. He also found that his temper was short, shorter than usual even for him. He heaved a purely mental sigh, realizing that he would be good for naught until evening. Fortunately, Elrond was not expected until the day after tomorrow at the earliest, so no discussions of any great importance would take place until then. He only hoped that he would be able to keep his mind on his duties and off of Valilis when that time came. He found it more than a little amazing how thoroughly one elleth [maiden] could disrupt him when all the others he had encountered had not. That she was very different from any other lady he had kept company with likely had something to do with that, but there was more to it than that small detail. He shook himself out of his reverie. Thranduil was not given to introspection very often. He was used to thinking swiftly, being decisive, and not looking back often. His position necessitated nothing less.

**************************************************************************


                                                Valilis spent most of the day preparing for the evening. She had enlisted the help of her sister and her dearest friends, swearing them to secrecy and tolerating their covert looks and giggles. Nimendis and Bethe decorated the flet overlooking the boundary of Caras Galadon, Moruial and Thaureth gathered the utensils and prepared the food, and Valilis and Sangamiel selected the food and chose Valilis’ apparel and dressed her hair. When all was ready, Valilis left to meet Thranduil. Nimendis remained at the flet to ensure that the squirrels did not carry away the food, and because she wanted a close look at the elf that so fascinated her sister.


**************************************************************************


                                                  Thranduil had returned to his talan after a quick bath. He chose his robes, dressed and had Luinloth braid his hair. He had to fight not to fidget and was rather annoyed with himself because of it. Luinloth wisely chose not to comment on his king’s out of character behavior. When he finished, Thranduil walked to the entrance to wait.


                                                Luinloth studied the king, careful not to attract Thranduil’s attention. There was definitely much more than mere attraction here. He had never seen Thranduil this taken with a lady in all the years he had known him. Privately, his heart was gladdened to see it, even more so because the lady seemed to feel the same. That was not necessarily a given even though the king had never lacked for bed partners. Thranduil could be quite intimidating and anyone who entered into a relationship with him had to be fairly strong to stand up to him when needed. Luinloth was very interested to get a look at this elleth. He strongly suspected that Thranduil had agreed to meet the lady here for that reason. It was typical of Thranduil to want his opinion, but to be too proud to ask it and so engineer an opportunity for Luinloth to volunteer it without risking any loss of his dignity. It was in part his devious and agile mind that made him an exceptional king.


                                                Thranduil could not prevent the smile that crossed his face when he saw Valilis approaching up the path. He looked over his shoulder at Luinloth. “I shall not require you any more this night, Luinloth. Do as you please for the remainder.” Luinloth acknowledged him with a bow. Thranduil descended to the foot of the tree.  He paused there a moment, just taking in her appearance, “My lady, you are lovely.” He could not resist smiling at the blush that his observation caused as he kissed her hand. “Shall we go?” he asked, offering her his arm. She led him off down the path opposite the one she had arrived on.


                                                They had walked for quite awhile when she halted him and directed him to climb a narrow staircase. She followed behind him, interested to see his reaction. He stopped at the top of the stairs briefly then moved to the edge of the flet gazing out across the tree tops.


                                                “I see why this is your favorite place, ‘Lilis. The view is breathtaking.” He turned to face her and noticed Nimendis standing by the trunk of the tree. “You can only be Nimendis. Mae Govannen,” he greeted her with a genuine smile. Nimendis responded in kind.


                                                 “Mae Govannen, my lord. My sister speaks well of you.” Thranduil raised an eyebrow at that choice of phrase.


                                                  “But others do not? I am aware of my reputation, and I cannot say that it is not at least partially accurate.” He allowed himself a slight smile at her start of surprise. “Lady Nimendis, I appreciate that you are concerned for your sister and in truth would think less of you if you were not. I value directness, that is part of the reason some think me impatient and ill-tempered.”


                                                   “Fair enough. Yes, I am concerned for Valilis, even though I am well aware that she is more than capable of fighting her own battles.” This last was directed at Valilis who was looking daggers at her sister. “One hears so many things that it is difficult to know what is truth and what is exaggeration. I shall leave you now, but I do wish to speak with you at a later time to satisfy myself as to your intentions toward my sister.”  Thranduil merely gave her a half smile and inclined his head. With a final look at her sister, Nimendis departed. Silence reigned for several minutes, and then Valilis spoke.


                                                    “I am sorry. I had no idea she was going to do that or I never would have asked for her assistance.” Valilis was mortified and her expression forecast a heated discussion with her sister in the near future. Thranduil merely chuckled.


                                                   “Do not be. I rather like her and she certainly loves you or she would not have said what she did. Do not be too angry with her. I was like that with my brother. Truth be told, I was likely much worse.” He fell silent for a moment, and then decided to distract her from her ill temper. “‘Lilis are you not hungry?” he asked with a grin.


                                               “As a matter of fact, yes I am. Shall we eat?” The look he threw her immediately elicited giggles.


                                                “Thank the Valar! I was beginning to believe I might perish from hunger,” he teased, pulling a tragic face then spoiling it by laughing. This only made her laugh harder.


                                               “Stop that! Who would have thought you could behave like such a loon! I can see that I shall have to feed you to restore your sense.” He grinned unrepentantly, since her humor had been restored and allowed her to pull him to the low table. She pushed him toward a large pillow and as soon as he sat she handed him a small bowl of little meat pastries. He waited until she was seated with her own bowl, then both began their meal.


                                                After the meal they sat on the edge of the flet looking out over the darkening forest. Thranduil told her of his home and his life since becoming king.  She was very easy to talk to, even for one unused to speaking of himself and he found that he spoke far more than he had thought he would. She in turn told him of her family and her childhood.  She told him of the elflings she occasionally cared for and he laughed at their antics. She found that he had a wicked sense of humor, and could mimic the expressions and mannerisms of many he knew. His impression of Glorfindel had her doubled over with mirth.


                                                It was well into the night, but neither of them was willing to go to their talans yet. Thranduil watched her face in the starlight, a rare sense of peace settling over him. Unable to resist, he leaned close to her and brushed his lips softly across her cheek. To his surprise, Valilis turned her face toward him and met his lips with hers. He held the kiss for several heartbeats, his fingertips ghosting over her cheekbone and down along her jaw. He pulled away just enough to look at her as he drew his thumb lightly across her lower lip. She shivered, opened her sea-blue eyes and met his gaze. She reached out, lightly running her fingers from his brow, over his now closed eyelids and his nose down to rest briefly on his lips. He kissed each fingertip before catching her hand in his. Placing her free hand on the back of his head she pulled him into another kiss, twining her fingers in his hair as the kiss deepened.  He released her hand, sliding his hand up her arm to her shoulder then down her back to her waist. His other hand wound into her hair as he pulled her closer.


                                                  Thranduil broke the kiss and rested his forehead against Valilis’, his eyes closed and his breathing ragged as he fought for control. After a few moments his breathing steadied and he released her and settled back, their twined fingers the only contact between them. He could see the bewilderment in her face and knew he could not leave things as they were.


                                               “‘Lilis, lirimaer, by the Valar you test my strength! If we continue like this we will not be able to stop and I would not ruin what is between us before it even begins by moving too swiftly. Do you understand?” His storm-dark eyes searched her face. She caught her lower lip in her teeth and averted her eyes. “Valilis, look at me.” He caught her chin and raised her eyes to meet his again, “I would like nothing more than to finish what we have begun, but it is far too soon for that. You are not a casual encounter for me. Do you see me as such?”


                                              “No!” Valilis cried, squeezing his hand. “Never could I do that.” He gave her a relieved smile.


                                               “Then we agree? When it does happen it will be because we both know it is the right time.” He held her eyes and she could not look away. She swallowed hard, her desire for him still clouding her thoughts and nodded. He heaved a sigh and his shoulders relaxed visibly. “Though it may well be the death of me trying to resist you.” He gave her a faint grin which she returned with a giggle. “We should go now while we have the strength to do so.”


                                               “Yes, we should, but I do not want to.” She rose and shook her dress out.


                                               “Nor I, but we must. Your sister will come looking for you with sharp objects to stick in my flesh if we do not return soon.” His humor chased the rest of the tension from them. Come, let us go then and I will walk you to your talan.” They descended from the flet and made their way to her talan. At the foot of the tree, he claimed her mouth again, pulling away before their passion could overtake them once more. He watched her climb inot the talan before heading for his own.


                                               


                                              





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List