Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

A Centenary of Special Significance  by Baggins Babe

Late Afterlithe 1430

       "'Tain't right," Nibs Cotton declared, emphasising the words with his fork. "'Tain't right for the King to celebrate his hundreth birthday without any of the Shire-folk to help him."

       Frodo smiled. "Not quite. Pippin's cousin Isumbrand and Fernilac Brandybuck are both going."

       Sam nodded. "I saw Will Whitfoot last week and he says Gil wants to go too."

       "That's good. Someone ought to go after all. But it's a shame no-one from round here is going. Michel Delving, the Tookland and Buckland but no-one from Hobbiton."

       "I daresay Strider understands. He knows how we feel about him."

       Nibs continued to look thoughtful. He tapped his chin and made as if to speak several times. Finally he said, "Reckon I'll go then, if Da and the rest can spare me for a while. I'd like to be there and see this great city, and it's not every day that a King has a hundreth birthday."

       Blossom froze in her seat. "That's nice! You didn't even ask what I think about that!" The young lass snatched up the plates and stalked into the scullery, slamming the door behind her.

       "That's torn it!" muttered Jolly. Nibs shrugged.

       "She'll come round. Got old Gaffer Weaver's temper, that's all."

       Mrs Cotton shook her head but said nothing. She presided over a large family and disagreements were not uncommon.

       Frodo cleared the rest of the dishes and helped Mrs Cotton to tidy the kitchen before he and Sam left to return to Bag End.

                                                                        ************

       Following a restless night and a morning of frosty silence, Blossom decided to go and see Rose. She respected her sister-in-law and hoped that she would be able to talk Nibs out of this foolish notion.

       She set off after lunch, walking quickly along the lanes, fuelled by fury. The sun was high in the sky and by the time she climbed the Hill and reached Bag End's green door she was even hotter and crosser than when she set out. From the field on the left, near the top of the Hill, she could hear voices and the sound of hammering and sawing as Sam and Frodo worked on the children's tree house.

       Rose looked at her young sister-in-law and nodded. "Stars and glory! You look fit to burst, lass." She pulled the lass in for a hug and Blossom started sobbing. "There, there. You'll be flooding the Brandywine at this rate. Come along inside and let's see what we can do."

       In the Bag End kitchen, with a cold flannel on her face, ice water on her wrists and a glass of iced lemonade before her, Blossom wiped her eyes and allowed the peace and calm to wash over her. The flagstones under her feet were cool and the kitchen shady and restful.

       Rose left the lass alone to recover while she filled a jug of lemonade, sliced some ginger cake and took a tray out to Sam and Frodo. On her return she poured herself a glass, cut a slab of cake and sat opposite Blossom.

       "I heard about Nibs' idea."

       "How could he say he wants to go off and leave us like that?"

       "Did Tom-dad say they couldn't manage?"

       "No........Nick said he'd deliver the milk and Nibs reckons they'll be back for hay harvest......"

       "So.........what you really mean is how could he say he wants to go off and leave you, eh?"

       "I suppose..................."

       "Not that you have to be left behind. You could always go as well you know."

       Blossom looked shocked. "That's a........" She tailed off. She could hardly say it was a ridiculous suggestion when Rose had actually been to Gondor.

       "You wouldn't be alone, you realise? Phlox is going with Isumbrand, Fernilac is taking Araminta and I've heard Marjy Whitfoot is going, so there'd be three other hobbit lasses to talk to. Minta and Phlox are taking the children too."

       "Really?" Blossom was surprised. "But suppose there's ruffians out there.....or even those horrid orcs?"

       Rose laughed. "We didn't have anyone with us until we reached Isengard and King Eomer's guards met us. Never saw any orcs - don't think there's many left these days. Same goes for ruffians. Anyway, you'd not be alone. Lord Tarondor is going, with a group of Rangers, there'll be a party of Gimli's people, the twins will be there, together with other Elves from Rivendell and the Greenwood, and at Edoras King Eomer, Queen Lothiriel, the children and many of the Rohirrim will be joining the party. Any orc or ruffian daft enough to attack that lot deserves everything they'll get!"

       Blossom helped herself to more cake. "Hmmmmm."

       Rose grinned. "Think on it, lass. And if you don't go, give Nibs your blessing. He admires the King and wants to be there at such a special time. Sometimes, when you love someone, you have to let them go in order to bring them back."

       Blossom nodded slowly. "You always believed Sam would come home, didn't you? Even when we heard what had happened out at Crickhollow?"

       "I knew he was out there somewhere and I knew he'd come back if he could." Rose smiled. "You know that the journey will change Nibs - travel changes folk. At least if you go with him you'll know what he experienced and you'll be changed too. I wish we could go but I've a feeling I might be carrying another by then and not really able to travel easily. And Estella and Diamond will have very young ones by then and may not want to tackle a long journey."

       Blossom said little but she looked very thoughtful and much more cheerful when she left. She kissed Rose's cheek. "Thank you for talking some sense into me. I know I'm an empty- headed, silly thing sometimes.........."

       "Nonsense! Now off you go and make it up with my little brother."

                                                                         ************

       Dinner was on the table when Blossom arrived back at the farm. She washed her hands and slid into her seat next to Nibs. She rested her hand on his and whispered to him.

       "Nibs, I've been a silly lass and I shouldn't have lost my temper like that. My Ma always says I should count to ten. I'm sorry - and I'm sorry for sulking like a silly tween. Do you forgive me?"

       Nibs slipped his arm round her waist and drew her close for a kiss. "Of course I do, sweeting. Does this mean you'll let me go to Gondor? We won't be apart for long - we'll be back before you have time to miss me."

       "No, Nibs Cotton, it does not mean I'm letting you go. And I won't miss you at all................. because I'm coming with you!"

       "What?!"

       "Blossom!" Everyone spoke at once.

       Blossom sniffed. "If Marjy Whitfoot can go, and Mr Took and Mr Brandybuck are willing to take their wives and little 'uns, it can't be dangerous.Us Cottons and Weavers are just as brave as they are. And Rose says the Lord Steward is going, and Rangers and Elves and Dwarves, not to mention King Eomer."

       "You went to see Rose?" Nibs silently thanked his wise and wonderful sister.

       "She didn't tell me what to do - just put the idea in my head. Once she suggested it I couldn't think of a reason why not."

       "That's our Rose."

       Mr Cotton winked at his wife as he helped her clear up. "There's a turn-up! Shy little Blossom going travelling! Reckon life's full of surprises, eh lass?" He kissed her. "It's nice to see those two all happy again though."

       "You soppy old fool, Tom Cotton!" She gave him an indulgent smile. "Reminds me why I married you."

       "I can always remind you a bit more," he suggested, sneaking another kiss and twirling one silvered curl in his fingers.

       "Don't push your luck, Tolman Cotton. Help me wash these plates and if you're good I might let you help me wind some wool."

       "Not sure I can stand the excitement, Lily-girl," he chuckled, and ducked as the tea towel narrowly missed his ear.





        

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List