Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

A Centenary of Special Significance  by Baggins Babe

Blossom and Nibs were not the only ones who looked warily towards the Old Forest. They had all heard the story of the Travellers' encounter with Old Man Willow and glanced nervously at the trees, stark and leafless. Tarondor noticed their glances and nodded.

       "The Old Forest deserves our respect. Very few have ever gone into it, and even fewer have come out. But the trees are quiet now because the evil which blanketed so much of Middle-earth has departed. The tree known as Old Man Willow is still there but no longer has the ability to influence the other trees in the same way."

       "Where is Lord Halboron, my lord?" enquired Gil. "Will he be joining us for the journey?"

       "Alas, no. Someone has to remain in charge and he will be my deputy in the North. We have to find some work for the young scamp to do!"

       "I hope he won't sulk like young Persimmon. When she found out we were going to see the King for this birthday she was enraged. Ev and Vinca have their hands full there. I don't envy them one bit!" Brand laughed and everyone joined in.

       "I doubt my brother will sulk, although he is naturally sorry to miss the celebrations. However, he was the one who travelled to Gondor for the birth of Prince Eldarion, so he has seen the White City since the War. I went there six months after the War, when there was still much to do, and I am looking forward to my first glimpse of the restored Minas Anor. My time has been spent sorting out the troubles in the northern lands and overseeing the reconstruction and restoration of Annuminas."

       "What's all that mist over there?" asked Marjy, pointing to the valley on their right.

       "Those are the Barrow-downs, Mistress. A place where the ancient kings were buried. Long was it a site of reverence and mystery. But when evil spirits came and took the chambers for themselves, and inhabited the dead and walked abroad among the stone circles, then it became a place of great dread. You know what happened to Frodo and his companions in one of those barrows?"

       Araminta shivered. "Oh yes. That part of their tale gave me nightmares for years."

       "Are there still evil spirits there, my lord?" asked Blossom.

       Tarondor shook his head. "The valley has been cleared of such things by the greatest Elf lord now dwelling in Middle-earth. Lord Glorfindel has spent much time cleansing the barrows."

       "That would have been something to see - the Lord Glorfindel in his full power and majesty, forcing the spirits to leave," said Brand. "I've heard descriptions of how he appeared at the Ford when the Nazgul were washed away."

       Phlox looked surprised. "So Lord Glorfindel didn't sail with Gandalf and Lord Elrond?"

       "No, he remains for the time being." Tarondor laughed. "He will tell you why when you meet him."

       "We're going to meet Lord Glorfindel?"

       "You are, for he is with the lords Elladan and Elrohir and will no doubt meet us when we leave Bree. They usually set up their camp about a mile south of the town."

       "Why is Captain Erithain so solemn? His eyes look full of sorrow," said Fernilac, glancing ahead to where the Man rode on his grey horse, one arm round the tiny hobbit lad.

        "His story is a sad one. I will not tell you without his permission, for it is not mine to tell, but if he grants me leave I will tell you why sorrow haunts him. For evil times claim many lives and, as the Ring-bearers and their friends know only too well, nothing is achieved without great sacrifice."

                                                                         ************

       Following a jolly and substantial lunch they set off again. The two little lads soon fell asleep in the arms of their Ranger guardians and were passed into the coach to nap for a while. Gil swapped places with Brand and drove the coach and the adventurous Took rode alongside Erithain.

       "Have you been to Bree before, Master Isumbrand?"

       "Yes, several times, my lord. I'm one of the daring and curious Tooks. I came this way when I went to Angmar with Lord Halboron a few years ago. I went with a cousin of mine - to advise the people on farming. They had forgotten a lot of the old skills and had just overthrown their leaders and placed themselves under the protection of the King."

       "I'm afraid the leaders of that region had kept their people in subjection for so long that they were never in one place long enough to farm the land as it should be. I heard that the Shire-folk sent grain to keep the people from starvation and in consequence they overthrew their leaders."

       "They did. Though I had to tell them off about their treatment of animals. Shocking, it was. You can't get the best out of any animal by ill-treating it, whether for work or food. To provide the best meat an animal must be treated kindly and fed well. And the people were very superstitious, particularly about cats. How they expected their harvests to survive with all those mice and rats about I don't know."

       "It is the same in other places - hundreds of years ago, when plague came to the North, the dogs and cats were slaughtered because it was thought they carried the disease, when in fact it was the vermin who carried it, especially the black rat. Sadly, by the time this was discovered, many people had died and the cat and dog ppulation was so small they could not deal with the rats."

       "In the Shire we look after our animals. Frodo will not harm a living creature. If he had to kill his own food he would live on berries, mushrooms and vegetables. He treasures his cat - two cats now, I gather - and feeds the birds and squirrels."

       "I should like to meet the Lord Frodo again. I saw the Ring-bearers briefly during the week of the King's coronation, but left to return to the North soon afterwards. Had it not been for him and the Lord Samwise the world would now be in darkness."

       "You should visit the Shire, my lord. I know everyone would be only too happy to welcome you.And my Freddy would be delighted. He seems to have claimed you as a favourite uncle."

       "He is truly a remarkable child. Small ones do not usually speak to me. I fear my outward appearance deters them. I was most surprised at his forwardness."

       "That's the Tooks for you! He is very like Pippin - Peregrin - and if you've met him then that should be all you need to know!"

       Erithain laughed, and Brand saw a likeness to Aragorn. "I have met Captain Peregrin - and he was certainly very.......amusing and cheerful."

       "And completely exhausting! When he was small they had to sew bells on his trousers to let them know when he was on the move, otherwise he might have crawled to Gondor! It worked very well - until he learned to remove the trousers!"

       "Has Master Freddy learned to do that?"

       "Not yet, but I suspect it will not be long. Children are a joy but sometimes.........." Brand shook his head and chuckled.

       "My own son will be meeting us in Bree. He is the youngest of the Rangers and he and his friend Hallas have been out on patrol with the lords of Imladris. Dirhael will be most intrigued when he sees I have been adopted by Master Freddy."

       "Dirhael? Was that not Lord Aragorn's grandfather's name?"

       "Indeed it was. He was my grandfather too, for my father and the Lady Gilraen were brother and sister. It was thought that some training with the lords Elladan and Elrohir would benefit my son and Hallas, as they learn the skills necessary for a Ranger."

       "Ewithain?" a little voice called from the coach. "I's awake now!"

       "Please don't feel you have to take him all the time, my lord."

       "I am happy to have him. He is such a cheerful child and so innocently charming. He spent the morning teaching me Shire songs."

       "Be careful he doesn't teach you the wrong words. We Tooks have a habit of inventing words for well-known songs, some with words our parents would disapprove of!"

       "I shall be on my guard against improper language." Erithain rode level with the coach and took Freddy from his mother's arms. "Did you enjoy your nap, small master?"

       "Uh-uh. But I's hungwy now!"

       "Tsk! That is a situation we cannot allow to continue. But look, your Mama has some food for you. You shall sit with me and eat as we ride.When it grows dark you can watch for the lights of Bree. Do you think you can do that?"

       Freddy nodded, patting his hands on Gilmarien's neck. He ate his sandwiches and watched carefully for any signs of life in the gathering gloom. Finally, when all the surrounding countryside had been swallowed up in winter darkness and only owls could be heard, his voice rang out, quivering with anticipation.

       "Lights, Ewithain! Bwee! Look Da! It's Bwee!"

                                                                          ************

       The gate hobbit bowed as they rode through Bree's West-gate. Blossom, Nibs and Marjy had never seen houses with upper storeys before and were impressed by the height of these dwellings and the lights in the windows. The main street seemed to be full of people, even though it was dark and almost time for supper, Big Folk and Little, hurrying, chatting, bustling. Barliman Butterbur awaited them at the doors of The Prancing Pony, standing beneath the splendid Royal Warrant.

       "Welcome my lords, captains, small masters and mistreses. Welcome to the Prancing Pony. Your rooms are all ready." He led them inside, shouting for Nob to see to the ponies, and soon they had been to their rooms, washed and tidied themselves and were in the dining-room awaiting supper.

       When the meal was over the wives retired, taking the children who were nodding. Carrie Butterbur had thoughtfully placed a cot in Brand and Phlox's room and Torni and Freddy cuddled up together. Hobbit younglings were naturally affectionate and preferred snuggling in groups to sleeping alone. Phlox and Araminta undressed and sat talking for a while before Minta returned to her room with baby Jonquil in her basket. Blossom fell asleep quickly; travelling was tiring and there were so many new experiences to take in. Marjy too soon fell asleep. She was looking forward to spending a little time shopping in Bree, and drifted off thinking of the dresses and little items she might find.

      Erithain excused himself from the group soon after, leaving the four hobbits and three Men to enjoy their pipes. Nibs sipped some of the Prancing Pony's finest and thought hos enjoyable this was. He had been a working hobbit all his life, up early to deliver milk to the good folk of Hobbiton and Bywater, and it was a luxury not to have anything to do. He suspected he would be bored if it went on too long, but at the moment it was interesting to see new places. Bree was a good place for them to begin their adventures, since hobbits lived there too and it was not exclusively full of Big Folk. He was pleased with the way Blossom had coped so far, and glad she was getting on with the other wives, who all seemed nice lasses.

       Tarondor spoke. "You asked me about Erithain's air of sorrow, Master Fernilac. He has given his consent and I will tell you his tale. He does not seek pity but once you hear it you will understand perhaps why he is somewhat withdrawn, and why this trip to Gondor is one he has been avoiding for a long time."





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List