Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

A Centenary of Special Significance  by Baggins Babe

The hobbits related Erithain's story to their ladies while they bathed and dressed. Nibs thought about censoring some of the details for Blossom's sake but realised that Brand would likely tell Phlox the whole truth and then his wife would be hurt if he were not honest with her. She went pale as he related the story of the massacre which had claimed the Man's wife and daughter and when he spoke of the Battle of the Pelennor Fields and the death of his son and brother she was weeping.

       "We never knew, did we, Nibs? In the Shire we took so much for granted, never thinking those brave Men were protecting us. Poor, poor soul. No wonder he looks so sad - he must be in torment."

       "I think this journey may be what he needs, dearling. Lord Tarondor and the King himself talk of the Shire's power to heal hurts, and he seems to think travelling with us and especially with the children, will help this good Man. Now dry your eyes and let's go to breakfast. Lord Tarondor said not to pity him but treat him kindly and help him to enjoy life again."

                                                                         ************

       Erithain opened the door to the dining-room and was pounced on by two small hobbits.

       "Ewithain! Beakfast, Ewithain! Sit down! Eat! Oo Hungwy!" The tiny tyrants propelled him towards the table, chattering away in high-pitched voices. Their actions broke the ice and everyone laughed to see the Ranger bulllied to breakfast.

       "I .....er........I do not normally bother with breakfast, young masters."

       Freddy shot him a disapproving look which would have frightened a troll. "No eat beakfast? Oo sould eat - it good."

       Tarondor wiped his eyes. "Hobbits believe in a good meal to start the day, my friend."

       Blossom giggled. "This is Second Breakfast, my lord."

       "Second Breakfast?"

       "Mistress Butterbur brought porridge and warm spiced buns to our rooms early this morning. Now we are ready to tackle a proper meal."

       Erithain inspected the table, where platters of bacon, sausages, eggs, mushrooms, tomatoes and fried bread awaited their attention. "It certainly looks delicious. Yes, I think I shall have breakfast today."

       Torni and Freddy beamed conspiratorially at each other and scrambled into their seats. They watched with approval as the Man helped himself to something from each of the platters, although they were obviously concerned that he was not eating nearly enough.

       Tarondor chuckled. "You will need to trot home from Gondor after several months in the company of hobbits, you know. I had to loosen my belt several notches after ten days in the Shire."

       A sudden commotion in the corridor, loud laughter, giggles from Carrie.

       "They're all in the dining room. You'll be wanting your usual hobbit breakfast?"

       "Ah, you know us too well!"

       "It's the only reason you young gentlemen come here."

       "Nonsense! We come to see you, Carrie Butterbur, the loveliest lady in Bree!"

       "Go along! You're a pair of terrible flatterers."

       The door opened to reveal two tall young Men with stars on their cloaks. They were both clean-shaven, handsome and smiling broadly.

       "Adar! My Lord Steward!" They both bowed to Tarondor and then embraced Erithain as he stood to greet them.

       "My sons." He kissed them both on the brow. Brand was pleased to see Hallas greeted with equal joy and affection.

       "You're eating breakfast?" The younger of the two - clearly Dirhael - looked astonished.

       "I am under orders. I have been adopted by Master Freddy and his cousin, and they insist I eat properly." Erithain smiled, his eyes clear and unshadowed as he looked proudly at the two young men. For a moment Nibs saw him as he must have been as a carefree husband and father.

       Tarondor made the introductions and soon the newcomers were seated, one either side of their father, piling their plates in a way which met the approval of the hobbits.

       "So, Master Freddy, you are taking care of our adar?" Dirhael helped himself to tea as Carrie arrived with more hot water and another huge platter.

       "Uh-uh. He too thin. Need lots of food." The tiny lad pointed to the largest mushrooms and looked up at his tall friend. "Shwooms - nice. Eat, eat!" He looked at the young Rangers. "Oo too! Not leave any!"

       Brand rolled his eyes. "You have had your orders, I'm afraid. Freddy is very single-minded and determined - he is a Took with a Burrows mother after all."

       When the older Men had finished they sat back and watched the hobbits and the two younger Men with a mixture of disbelief and admiration.

       Tarondor grinned. "If you think this is impressive you should see Merry and Pippin. I really don't know where they put it all, although Frodo says Pip has a hollow leg!"

       Hallas sighed. "I would love to meet the Ring-bearers - and the Captains." He glanced at Dirhael, who nodded enthusiastically.

       Erithain permitted himself a smug smile. "I have an invitation to visit the Shire. If you two behave yourselves I may allow you to accompany me."

       "An invitation to the Shire? How? When?"

       "Really? When can we go?"

The young Rangers sounded as excited as any hobbit, and Brand thought their relationship was similar to that of Merry and Pip, affectionate, the older one protective, the younger always trying to emulate his friend.

       "We have not yet determined those matters, but I believe next Yule has been mentioned as a possibility."

       Brand was delighted. "You will come then?"

       "I have given your kind invitation much thought and I see it is a great honour, for few Men will be allowed to do so. The King says it is a place of peace and joy, and I should like to see it and experience those things for myself."

       Tarondor looked very pleased. "Our cousin and Prince Faramir have talked of little else since their visit. The children are hopping about in anticipation now, and Bergil is the envy of the Citadel guards because he has seen the Shire and enjoyed the hospitality of the Lord Frodo - not to mention the unparalleled cooking of the Lady Rose."

       Dirhael turned to Nibs. "Do I understand that you are brother to Lady Rose? She sounds remarkable. I'm sure those in Gondor with the rank of 'Lady' do not go near a kitchen."

       Nibs laughed heartily. "Sam was given the title 'Lord of the Free Peoples' so in that way she is referred to as 'Lady' but she would be the first to tell you she is simply Mistress Rose, wife to the Mayor of Michel Delving, and mistress of Bag End. Neither Sam nor Frodo use their titles - we don't have lords in the Shire."

       Brand nodded. "When you visit be sure not to call Frodo 'Lord.' He dislikes it intensely - before his illness, when he suffered so much guilt and torment, he would go white and walk out of the room. He never felt he deserved it, you see."

       Hallas shook his head. "It is difficult to imagine the Ring-bearer, he one who saved us all, feeling guilt. I hope he no longer feels that way?"

       "Partly - although he doesn't like too much fuss. He prefers to give the credit to everyone else. Just enjoys the love of his family and friends and relishes every day he can spend in his beloved Shire. He adores Sam's children and they adore him."

       "If all hobbit children are as affectionate as Master Freddy and Master Torni I can understand that." Hallas smiled down at the little faunt clambering into his lap.

       Brand chuckled. "We hobbits wear our feelings for everyone to see. We're not very good at dissembling. If we like you we feed you, and if we don't like you we throw things! Rocks, principally, if we have no bow and arrows to hand."

       Tarondor was most amused. "Our King says the refreshing honesty of the hobbits is very good for those in power. Mithrandir always said that every Wizard should have a hobbit or two in his care - they will keep us rooted. Had Merry and Pippin reached Isengard I think they may just have driven Saruman to the brink of insanity with their logic."

                                                                          ************

       "I can't wait to meet this splendid new horse, adar. The lords of Rivendell talked of little else."

       "So Thunder has retired to Imladris?"

       "He has earned his rest. I left him watching the mares with a gleam in his eye."

       "He will begin a whole line of foals. A fine way to see out his days."

       The Steward thought it would be good to stay in Bree for a whole day, to allow the hobbits time to accustom themselves to travel, strange places and Big Folk. The ladies had therefore gone off with Carrie Butterbur and Lavinia Banks, the hobbitess who helped out in the kitchens, to inspect the shops. Gil was resigned to the fact that Marjy would be away for hours.

       The little faunts ran ahead as the men-folk made their way to the stables. Freddy bounded up and hugged the large dog who stood guard, flinging his arms around it and giggling as it smothered him with licks and wagged itself to a standstill.

       "That little one has no fear. I'd have been wary of a huge animal like that at his age." Dirhael watched the tiny hobbit climbing over the dog, who lay down with his tail thumping.

       Ferni sighed theatrically. "He's a Took - they're known for being adventurous and bold - and a little mad!."

       Gil laughed. "Tooks, Brandybucks.......and Bagginses - to say nothing of the Gamgees these days."

       "Are the Tooks particularly noted for being adventurous?" asked Hallas curiously, to the amusement of the hobbits and the Steward.

       Brand explained. "Well we do seem to produce some very eccentric individuals. Old Gerontius had his moments - he was a great friend of Gandalf's, which was regarded very dubiously in most places - and some of his children were distinctly odd. Isengar always said he had been to sea in his youth, and Hildifons went off on a journey and never returned. Belladonna married Bungo Baggins and became the mother of Bilbo, and although old Bilbo was a staid and sober Baggins for his first fifty years, once Gandalf and the dwarves turned up he took off on all those adventures and returned a much more restless hobbit, eager for travel and knowledge. And Mirabella married Gorbadoc Brandybuck and often travelled to Bree, getting to know dwarves and Rangers. Her eldest son was Rorimac, later Master of Buckland, and her youngest daughter was Primula, who later became the mother of Frodo Baggins. So three of the Travellers have Took blood."

       "And Lord Samwise?"

       "He has no obvious Tookish ancestry but he's a Took in spirit."

       Erithain's mare lifted her head at the sound of their approach, surveying the visitors with interest. She brightened even more when she saw her master and the small hobbits, who had entered her good graces by offering her treats.

       "She is glorious. Elladan and Elrohir did not exaggerate in their praise."

       "Gilmarien. There, my lovely." Erithain opened the door to her stall and led her out for closer inspection. "Of course she is glorious. Asfaloth is her sire."

       She was large but graceful, as was usual for an Elven horse. Her coat was beautifully dappled with a grey which seemed more smokey-blue than merely muted black, and her mane and tail were silver-white. She had three perfect silver stars in a line down her brow, and deep brown eyes fringed with long silver lashes.

       She nudged Erithain's pocket and he fed her an apple. Freddy was lifted up to stroke her before they made a fuss of all the equines, grooming and feeding them. Work done at last, they retired to the parlour to smoke and talk, while the young Rangers played with the children.

       The proud fathers watched as Hallas, pretending to be a giant, stalked a squealing Torni.

       "I find it difficult to determine which pair are the children," murmured Erithain. Ferni sniggered.

       "Your sons are young enough to have some fun - and they're doing a splendid job looking after the little ones."

       "I am the Tickle Monster!" intoned Hallas, closing in on his victim. Giggling hysterically, Torni launched himself into the pile of cloaks and cushions in the corner. Hallas reached out and swept the faunt into his arms for some serious tickling.

       "Aha! Now I have you!" said Dirhael, swinging Freddy up and dancing round with him, before dropping to the floor and sprawling on the hearthrug, his captive on his chest.

       Brand was grinning all over his face as he turned to the Ranger. "Perhaps they should all have a nap after lunch?"

       "A very good idea. That may be the only way to ensure peace and quiet - send my two off for a sleep. They're making more noise than the small hobbits." Erithain tried to sound gruff but he was clearly amused.

       "Lunch!" exclaimed Freddy. "Eat!" He sat up just as the ladies arrived with pasties and sandwiches, having visited the excellent bake shop. Thus ordered, Men and hobbits hastily converged on the table to enjoy a leisurely meal and watch the bustle outside in the streets of Bree.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List