Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Stirrings of Shadow  by Fiondil

"It was soon after Thengel’s return [to Rohan] that Saruman declared himself Lord of Isengard and began to give trouble to Rohan, encroaching on its borders and supporting its enemies." – Appendix A.II: The House of Eorl

1: Arrival in Edoras

Rohan, T.A. 2957:

Dawn stole through the Eastfold, chasing shadows across the heath, bathing the grasslands with welcoming warmth. Shards of sunlight fell upon the distant mountains, their snow-capped peaks glowing preternaturally white as night fled. Anor rose above the Emyn Muil in joyous splendor, her gaze touching first upon Aldburg in the Folde before lighting upon Edoras. She seemingly set the roofs of Meduseld afire in a blaze of golden light with a kiss before turning her gaze to the Westfold and beyond. The world seemed to shout a paean of praise at the Sun’s coming, but the people of the Mark greeted her, as they always did, with benign indifference, too concerned with the doings of the day to pay her any heed.

Down from the road leading to Helm’s Deep rode two Men. Both were tall and dark of hair. Both wore grey-green cloaks pinned with a silver star. The taller of the two rode a grey gelding without a saddle; the other rode a roan. The horses, like their riders were weary with travel, yet proud-spirited. A pack horse followed behind them.

The gatewardens had watched the two riders come out of the night-shadowed West for some time now and wondered, especially at the one riding without a saddle. These were not Dunlendings, yet neither could they be from Mundburg, for all they appeared to favor the looks of the Stanlendings.

"Abidað cuman uncúðe! Hwæt sindon git, láðe oððe léofe? Hú hátton git? Hwæt sindon incer ærende tó Þengel úrum hláforde?" demanded one of the gatewardens as the two riders neared them. He spoke first in the tongue of the Mark and then repeated his words in Westron, for so had Thengel King decreed and only those who spoke also the Common Tongue were given ward-duty at gate and door.

"Stay strangers unknown! Who are you, friend or foe? How are you called? What is your errand to Thengel our lord? You have the look of the Stanlendings about you yet you come not from the East, but the West."

The two riders came to a halt and lighted from their horses. The shorter man answered. "In truth, good sir, we come from the North, though we are distant kin to the people of Gondor. I am Gilhael son of Mallor and this is my cousin Thorongil son of Beren. We seek employment with Thengel King, for we have heard that he welcomes men of arms to his service, and so we have come to offer our swords if he would have them."

The gatewardens glanced at one another before the one who had spoken replied. "It is true what you say. If this be your purpose then you are welcome here. Go to the king’s doorwarden and say to him as you have spoken and he will see to your needs. Your horses you may lodge here in the lower stables."

The man pointed to a low building to the right of the gate. Gilhael thanked him and he and Thorongil led their horses to the stables where those who tended the horses greeted them courteously. They wondered at the man who rode the grey and without a saddle, for he spoke to his horse in a tongue unknown to them and the horse calmly entered one of the stalls on its own. The roan followed.

Once they had seen to their horses, the two men made their way up the steep slope of the main street towards the king’s house. Aragorn looked about him with unabashed interest. His older cousin, who had spent a season or two among the Rohirrim in his own youth, smiled benignly.

"It’s impolite to stare, Cousin," he said softly, speaking in Sindarin.

Aragorn started, then blushed. "Sorry. Is that what I was doing?"

Gilhael laughed lightly. In the weeks of their travel together, he had gotten to know his younger cousin and Chieftain better and found himself both amused and appalled at his own temerity. It was really Aragorn’s fault, for he had insisted that rank was to be ignored. Every time Gilhael addressed Aragorn as "lord" or forgot to call him "Thorongil", Aragorn would make him get off his horse and run while Aragorn ordered Mithfaron into a gallop with Gilhael’s horse, Baranroch, following. After the third such run, usually covering about three miles over the rough terrain of upper Eregion, Gilhael studiously avoided any honorific where his Chieftain was concerned and carefully addressed him as "Cousin".

By the time they had reached the ruins of Tharbad, he had ceased thinking about it, but wondered at times if upon their return to their own people he would have to unlearn everything all over again.

"When were you here last?" Aragorn asked as they climbed a set of well-laid steps. They were now about halfway up the hill and Meduseld shone brightly in the morning sun.

"Twelve years ago, in the time of Fengel," Gilhael frowned slightly. "It was not a happy time and I only stayed a season or two. Fengel was greedy beyond measure and he is not fondly remembered. So hated was he by his own son that Thengel removed himself to Minas Tirith when he came of age and took service with Turgon. He has only recently returned to Rohan with the death of his father."

They reached the crown of the hill where stood a high platform above a green terrace. A bright spring gushed forth from a stone carved in the likeness of a horse’s head. Beneath this was a wide basin from which the water spilled, filling the channels that ran on either side of the steps. Up the green terrace went a stair, high and broad, and on either side of the top most step were stone-hewn seats upon which sat the doorwardens. As they reached the top of the stairs the wardens stood and one of them, a burly man of about forty, greeted them in Westron.

"Hail, strangers. I am Guthmund, doorwarden of Thengel King. What names do you bear and what business do you have in the Riddermark?"

The two Dúnedain bowed and Gilhael spoke.

"Hail, Guthmund. I am Gilhael son of Mallor and this is my cousin, Thorongil son of Beren. We come from the North to seek service with Thengel King if he would have us."

Guthmund eyed the two strangers briefly, taking their measure, before nodding. "Thengel King holds court this day to hear the plaints of his people. Enter then and may you find favor in his eyes, but your weapons you must leave with us. Only those sworn to the king’s service may enter his presence so armed."

Guthmund’s demand was not entirely unexpected and in fact Gilhael had warned Aragorn of the possibility earlier, so they were not loath to surrender their weapons to the doorwarden, at least not the visible ones.

Satisfied, Guthmund led them across a portico, where there were pillars made of mighty trees hewn in the upland forests and carved with interlacing figures gilded and painted. The doors also were of wood, carven in the likeness of many beasts and birds with jeweled eyes and golden claws. Although the doors were closed, they were not barred and Guthmund pushed one of them open enough for the two men to enter before closing it behind them again.

Inside, it seemed dark at first and Aragorn had only an impression of a vast space filled with people milling about. Gradually his eyes adjusted and he saw before him a long and wide hall with mighty pillars richly carved upholding its roof. Bright sunlight fell in shafts from the eastern windows high under the eaves. The floor was paved with stones of many hues. Tapestries adorned the walls and banners hung from the beams. Even on this warm day a clear wood fire burned on the long hearth in the midst of the hall. Beyond the hearth and facing north towards the doors was a dais with three steps and in the middle of the dais was a gilded chair, richly carved and painted. Above the throne hung a green banner with a running white horse — the sigil of the Rohirrim.

People stood between the pillars talking softly in small groups. Those nearest the doors had turned to see who had entered and were surprised to see two of the Stanlendings, but were allowed little time for speculation for at that moment an old man bearing a wood staff stepped in front of the dais and banged upon the floor three times.

"Westu, Thengel, hál!" he cried and the crowd echoed him even as the king of the Mark entered from the east side of the dais.

Thengel was a man of middle years, Aragorn noted, not as tall as some, yet hale and strong of limb. He wore his hair, still yellow like ripened wheat, shoulder length, as Aragorn assumed was the style in Gondor, for all the other men in the hall wore their hair long and braided. However, he was dressed in the style favored by the Rohirrim in a tunic of rich green nubbed wool with interlacing broideries in red and blue and gold thread. He was clean shaven, save for a mustache. No crown adorned his head. Instead, he wore a thin band of white gold.

Behind him came a woman, tall and dark-tressed. Her style of dress was not quite the same as those of the other women in the court and Aragorn assumed that it was what was worn by the women of Gondor, however, the color was the same dark green of her husband’s tunic. Like Thengel, she wore no crown, but covered her head with a thin veil held there by a band of silver.

This then, Aragorn surmised, must be Morwen of Lossarnach in Gondor, whom Thengel had married some fourteen years earlier. She was seventeen years younger than Thengel, younger even than Gilhael, and many had wondered that Morwen’s father had allowed such a match.

Three children followed, two girls and a boy. The oldest was a girl of about twelve summers, while the other girl was probably half that age. The boy looked to be about eight or nine. They all favored their sire in looks, though the older girl had a more slender bearing and her hair was a darker gold, shading into autumn brown, an inheritance from her mother, no doubt.

Thengel took his seat while Morwen stood to his right and just behind. The three children moved to the lowest step of the dais and sat on a bench to their father’s left. Aragorn noted with wry amusement that the two girls kept their brother between them. Already the boy was beginning to fidget and looked decidedly bored. Aragorn shared a knowing smile with Gilhael before turning back to the scene before them.

Ranged around the dais but separate from the crowd were two groups of men. To the left stood the Witan — older men no longer fit for military duty yet still hale of mind and supposedly full of wisdom. To the right stood the king’s thegns, the warriors of the king’s own household. Both groups made up the king’s council of advisors.

Gilhael surreptitiously pointed out one of the men. "There is Hildebrand of the Westfold. He is married to Thengel’s surviving sister, Goldwyn. Thengel appointed him First Marshall of the Mark when he came to the throne."

Aragorn looked the man over. He appeared to be a few years older than Thengel but his braided hair was not yet touched with grey. He was firmly muscled and Aragorn could see in his stance that this was a man used to warfare. He stood on the dais directly to Thengel’s left, cradling a naked sword with its hilt pointed towards the king.

When all were settled, the old man with the staff banged on the floor again. "The court of Thengel King is now open. Let he who would speak to his lord approach and be heard."

Gilhael translated this for Aragorn, for though the older cousin had begun teaching his Chieftain the language of the Mark as they traveled, Aragorn was not yet fluent in that tongue. The Dúnedain held back from the general throng. "Let Thengel’s people have the privilege of addressing their king first," Gilhael had advised his cousin and Aragorn agreed.

Aragorn watched the proceedings with interest while Gilhael quietly translated, though he was becoming familiar enough with the language to understand a word here and a phrase there. He paid particular attention to Thengel’s rulings, comparing them in his mind to his own thoughts of how he would have ruled in a similar situation. Indeed, except for the setting, the problems brought to Thengel were not dissimilar to those brought to Aragorn by his own people.

He was pleased to note that Thengel’s rulings were generally fair, though one or two surprised the young Dúnadan and Gilhael had to explain a peculiarity of Rohirric law that differed markedly from that which governed the Dúnedain, thereby demanding a response other than that which Aragorn would have chosen under similar circumstances. Still, none who came before Thengel left unanswered and even those whose suit had failed appeared satisfied with the king’s decisions.

Occasionally Thengel would consult the Witan or his thegns on a matter and once he spoke quietly to his queen, who whispered her own thoughts. Aragorn noted that some in the hall viewed this with disapproval and he heard one or two muttering darkly to their neighbors, but he could not discern their words.

Twice Thengel asked his children for their opinions on how a particular case should be decided and then carefully explained his decisions to them. The older girl was more attentive than her younger siblings, but Aragorn had the impression that all three children were being gently schooled in the art of rulership by their sire and he was much impressed.

It was nearly midday before the last of the suitors had had their say and Gilhael signaled Aragorn to follow him up the central nave towards the dais. As they approached, others made way for them and Thengel himself rose from his seat to greet them, contrary to the traditions of his people.

"Westu, Thengel, hál!" Gilhael said with a bow and Aragorn copied him.

"Mae govannen, brennyn nîn. Mae govannen a vae tolen na Rohan." Thengel’s Sindarin was flawless, although Aragorn detected a slight slurring of his speech that bespoke of the Gondorian dialect, which differed slightly in pronunciation from that spoken in Imladris and among the Dúnedain of the North.

"Le hannam, hîr aran nîn," Gilhael replied. "I am Gilhael son of Mallor and this is my cousin Thorongil son of Beren."

"But surely you do not come from Gondor," Thengel said, stepping down from the dais. "For though you have the bearing of my wife’s kin, your manner of dress is strange."

"Nay, husband," Morwen replied, joining Thengel. "For they wear the star of Elendil upon their cloaks. I deem they are our northern kinsmen, Rangers of lost Arnor, rather than those of Ithilien with whom you served in your youth."

Gilhael bowed to Morwen with a smile. "You speak truly, my lady. My cousin and I are indeed Dúnedain of the North. We have been given leave by our lord to seek our fortunes in the South for a time."

"Ah, and so you wish to take service with me?" Thengel asked.

"Yes, lord," Aragorn spoke for the first time. "It is our desire to do so if you will."

"Then we will discuss this matter later. Come, you will be our guests for the nooning. I see you carry no weapons."

"Our swords lie with your doorwardens, lord," Aragorn said.

Thengel nodded, then motioned to one of his thegns, a young man not much older than Aragorn. "Hildered, go you and bring the weapons belonging to the lords Gilhael and Thorongil," he ordered, reverting to Westron. The thegn bowed and left.

Then the king turned to the old man with the staff, who was apparently his steward. "Gléomer, you may dismiss the court." And without waiting for a reply, Thengel motioned his family and his two guests to follow him out of the hall.

****

All words and phrases are Rohirric (Anglo-Saxon) unless otherwise noted.

Mundburg: Minas Tirith.

Stanlendings: "Stone-land-people", i.e. Gondorians; cf. Dunlending.

Westu, Thengel, hál!: "May you be healthy, Thengel!"

Witan: Counsellors; from Old English wita: sage, wise man, advisor.

Thegns: Household troops belonging to the king, usually on a rotating basis; pronounced, and often spelled in Modern English, ‘thanes’.

Mae govannen, brennyn nîn. Mae govannen a vae tolen na Rohan: (Sindarin) "Well met, my lords. Well met and well come to Rohan".

Le Hannam, hîr aran nîn: (Sindarin) "We (exclusive) thank you, my lord king".

A Note on the Description of Edoras: Much of the description of Edoras and Meduseld comes primarily from The Two Towers, Book III, Chapter 6, "The King of the Golden Hall", with some adaptations from the Lord of the Rings movies. However, the description of the portico leading to Meduseld is taken from The Reader’s Companion, page 400.

A Note on Rohirric (Anglo-Saxon): The words of the Gatewarden in Rohirric to Aragorn and Gilhael are adapted from Tolkien’s original speech for this scene in The Two Towers, found in HoME, vol. VII, The Treason of Isengard, pp. 442-443. Translation of this passage provided by Christopher Tolkien in a note, page 449. I have modified the text slightly to reflect the dual form of the second person since the Gatewarden is addressing two and only two people.

Normally _æ_ as in "ærende" would be long, but as I cannot put an acute accent over the diphthong, the accent is ignored whenever this diphthong appears. Hopefully, any reader versed in Anglo-Saxon will not take me to task overmuch for any errors in spelling or grammar I might make. It’s been thirty years since I’ve had to work my way through Sweet’s Anglo-Saxon Reader, so give me a break. *grin*

A Note on Rohirric Names: Many readers will no doubt recognize various names given to my original characters that are taken from Tolkien. This is not to imply that they are these characters but rather that such names are commonly given (even passed down from one generation to the next), much the way John or Mary are common names in our own culture. Most of the Rohirric characters encountered in the Lord of the Rings are, at this point in time, either young children or not yet born.





        

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List