Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Stirrings of Shadow  by Fiondil

41: Leithian

The return to Dunharrow was done in silence and when they arrived, shortly before noon, Thengel quietly thanked each member of the éored individually before dismissing them. Some found themselves with tears in their eyes and Thengel was seen to embrace them before moving on to the next person. He spoke last to Aragorn and Gilhael as the others made their way to stable the horses. Only Hildered remained behind at Thengel’s request.

"For what you did to succor my people, I will be forever grateful," the King told them. "Rohan owes you a debt."

Aragorn shook his head. "There is no debt between us, Thengel King. As long as you hold our service, the people of Rohan are as our own people. We could have done no less than we did."

"Though we wish we could have done more," Gilhael added, his expression still bleak and Aragorn clapped him on the shoulder to offer him his support, knowing that his cousin was thinking of another burned out village far to the north.

"We did what we could," the Dúnadan Chieftain said quietly. "It is all we are ever asked to do, even by Eru Himself."

Gilhael gave his Chieftain a searching look before nodding his understanding. "Thorongil speaks truly, and I will not forget," Thengel said, embracing them both before moving on to enter the keep with Hildered by his side, the casket of ashes in the younger Man’s hands.

Aragorn and Gilhael went to stable their own horses before seeking out their friends. Elrohir, Elladan and Wídfara, they found, were taking a short break from tending to the fire victims, relaxing in the common room of the keep. Aragorn and Gilhael joined them at the table where they were quietly having their noon meal. Wídfara gave them a watery smile.

"How are you?" he asked quietly and the two Rangers nodded as they sat down.

"We are well, Wídfara," Aragorn answered for them both. "Have no fear for us." He turned to his brothers. "What about you?"

"And where is Thandir?" Gilhael added.

Two sets of identical eyebrows rose at the questions, but only Elrohir deigned to answer. "We are well, brother. Elladan and I have finished treating the last of the burn victims. Thandir is resting, for he was up all night with one of the children."

"How are they?" Aragorn asked quietly and they understood that he was speaking about the children of Underharrow who had survived the fire.

"They are... healing" Elladan replied, "though some will probably never fully recover from the shock of what happened."

"Did you learn anything more about that?" Gilhael asked.

Elladan shook his head. "None knew how the fires were started and there is no way to ascertain who participated in the... arson and who died."

Aragorn nodded as he tore off a piece of bread. "Until we find the rebels we have no way to know."

"It will be a sorrowful day when kin look upon kin and realize that the one countenanced the death of the other," Wídfara stated with a heavy sigh.

The others all nodded but made no further comments. Instead, they concentrated on their meal, keeping their thoughts private. After a time, though, when hunger was assuaged and trenchers were cleared, they sat around the table nursing beer (Wídfara, Aragorn and Gilhael) or mead (Elladan and Elrohir). Without prompting Aragorn and Gilhael took turns describing what they did at Underharrow while Elrohir filled them in on what was done for the victims upon their arrival at Dunharrow.

"The keep is becoming overcrowded," Elrohir commented at the end, "my brother and I will speak to Thengel about moving the more able-bodied citizens to camps below the Stairs. It won’t be as pleasant but it will be healthier for us all."

Aragorn nodded. "We need to ensure that everyone washes on a regular basis and that sanitary provisions are adequate for the numbers. Being the middle of winter will make it hard to build additional latrines if we move people into the valley."

They spent some time discussing the problems of sanitation and cleanliness and the best way to ensure that threat of plague was kept at a minimum. Wídfara did little to contribute to the conversation save to explain the layout of the keep and how waste, both human and animal, was dealt with. Listening to the Elves and the two Northerners, Wídfara began to feel uncomfortable. He considered himself highly civilized by the standards of his own people, though he vaguely knew that the Gondorians had a higher form of civilization even if he could not articulate in what manner, but until he sat there listening to the Elves and his two friends discuss drainage and such, he did not realize just how uncouth he must appear to them. Somewhere along the way Thengel joined them and then the discussion became more animated. In the end, the King agreed with the Elves and Aragorn.

"North of the Stairs is a series of shallow caves," Thengel stated. "We can house people in them or use them as latrines. The Snowbourn runs fairly close to them and with a little effort we could divert part of the river to flow through the caves. It’s not an ideal solution but it should do for now."

"I will take a look," Gilhael said, "if you can have someone show me the way. I can tell you tonight what would be the best way to utilize them."

Thengel nodded and called to one of the éored, giving him his instructions. In a short while the Rider was leading the Dúnadan away while the others remained behind. "There will be a council tomorrow," Thengel told them, "to discuss what happened at Underharrow and to finalize our plans for retaking Edoras. You will all attend." This last was not a question and they nodded their acquiescence before Thengel took his leave of them.

When the King was gone, Elrohir turned to Aragorn. "As long as you’re here, Estel, we should discuss your problems. Thandir and I have been doing some thinking and we may have a possible solution."

"What?" Aragorn asked with some trepidation.

"We’ll have to wait until Thandir awakes," Elrohir replied, "but here is what we’ve come up with so far...."

****

"Compulsion?"

Elrohir nodded. "So it would seem."

"What does that mean, though?" Wídfara asked, not a little confused. He had not been involved in any further discussions with the two Elves about what had happened to Aragorn, so he was unsure about what was being said.

Elrohir addressed the young Rider. "We think that when Thandir was attempting to... persuade Estel to go to Edoras, he unconsciously placed a mental command in his mind. I’m afraid that in his haste and concern for Gilhael, he was not gentle about it."

"To say the least," Aragorn muttered darkly.

The two Elves raised eyebrows and Elrohir shook his head. "Thandir is an Elf of mystery, Estel. You know him only as one of Adar’s scouts, but there are rumors that he is in fact the scion of a noble Noldorin family in Tirion, one that is closely allied with the royal family. He hides his lineage but cannot always hide his power."

"Power such as Glorfindel has?" Aragorn asked.

"Something like, but not quite."

They looked up to see the object of their discussion walking towards them with a mug in his hands. Elrohir said nothing, merely making room for him on the bench beside himself and Elladan, while the two Mortals gave the Elf their full attention.

"Who’s Glorfindel?" Wídfara asked. All these strange sounding names were beginning to confuse him.

"The Captain of the Guard in Imladris, what you would call Rivendell," Aragorn answered for them. "He is one of the Noldor who came to Middle-earth from Valinor before the first rising of the Sun."

"He is very powerful," Thandir added, "in more ways than one."

"And... and you’re like him?" the Rider enquired.

The Elves and Aragorn started laughing. "Hardly," Thandir replied, "and Glorfindel would be the first to agree."

"Elrohir was explaining what you two had decided about... me," Aragorn stated, giving Thandir a questioning look. The Elf nodded, his expression more regretful.

"Believe me, I never meant...."

"It is well, Thandir," Aragorn said quietly. "I hold no grudge against you for this." He gave the Elf a wintry smile. "You always complained about my hardheadedness. I guess this just proves your point."

Elrohir grinned as Thandir winced slightly. "You should have seen him dealing with me and Elladan when we were younger. He was even less gentle then."

"Only because there were two of you at the same time giving me grief," Thandir rejoined. "There was often no time for niceties with you and your brother. I was always amazed that Glorfindel didn’t skewer you two on the edge of his sword, because you certainly provoked him... us often enough."

Elladan smirked. "I surmise it is only because he was unsure whom he should skewer first so in the end he decided we weren’t worth the aggravation of explaining to Adar why his sons were giving Lord Námo Glorfindel’s regards."

Thandir gave a rueful chuckle, while Elrohir and Aragorn both grinned. "I suspect you are correct, Elladan," the Imladrin scout averred. "We all fear Glorfindel’s wrath and Glorfindel fears Elrond’s, so I suppose it evens out."

"So what about this compulsion? Can you remove it?" Wídfara interrupted, sounding a bit annoyed. He was tired of them talking about places and people he’d never seen or heard of and wanted to know what was going to be done to help his sweordbroðor.

The three Elves and the Dúnadan gave him knowing looks but he refused to back down and kept his gaze on Elrohir as steadily as he could, which lasted for about ten heartbeats before he looked down at his mug, muttering an apology. Thandir reached over and lifted the Man’s chin with a finger.

"Do not apologize, Wídfara of the Mearc," he said in flawless, if slightly archaic, Rohirric. "Thou’rt correct in reminding us of our obligation toward thy sweordbroðor." He gave the others a quick glance. "Come, let us deal with this." With that he stood and the others followed, Wídfara grabbing his crutches to walk beside Aragorn.

They made their way to the small room in one of the towers where the Elves were housed. It was too small really for all five Elves and there were only three cots, but Thandir assured Wídfara that since Elves did not require as much sleep as Mortals, they took turns. "Unless I over-extend myself," he explained, "I will not require true sleep for another week, having just rested."

Wídfara looked a bit dubious at that but otherwise did not argue the point. Instead, he sat on one of the cots at Thandir’s bidding while Aragorn was told to lie on the cot next to the Rider. "You should be as comfortable as possible," Elladan said, "so remove your boots and your belt." Aragorn complied and soon he was recumbent. Thandir and the sons of Elrond sat on the third cot, facing Wídfara, with Thandir in the middle.

Wídfara glanced at the Elves and frowned. "I do not know why I am here," he said.

"You’re here, because I want you to be here, and they know it," Aragorn answered before any of the Elves could open their mouths.

Elrohir nodded when Wídfara cast them a questioning look. "Estel is correct, Wídfara," he replied. "You have been with him from the beginning. Your presence will be comforting for him, because this may prove... strange and disquieting for him... for all of us. To the best of my memory, nothing like this has ever been attempted."

He gave Thandir a measuring look and the ellon shook his head. "Never that I have heard. I suggest you two elflings pay particular attention, for I have no doubt your adar will have many questions about this."

"And why will he be asking us and not you?" Elladan demanded, raising an eyebrow.

Thandir gave them a wide grin. "Because I have no intention of being anywhere near Imladris when you tell him what happened."

"Coward," Aragorn said with a smile, looking up from where he lay.

Thandir merely laughed. "So be it, but I still have no intention of being anywhere near Elrond’s reach..."

"Or Glorfindel’s," Elrohir interrupted with a wicked grin.

"...Elrond’s reach," Thandir continued as if he’d never heard the interruption, "when he finds out what I did to you."

"So what will you do to me now?" Aragorn then asked, all levity forgotten.

It was Elrohir who answered. "We do not think it will be possible to remove the compulsion that was set...."

"What exactly was this compulsion, any way?" Aragorn interrupted with a frown, looking directly at Thandir. "All I know is that if I consciously think about our... confrontation, I find myself in a state of panic."

Thandir nodded. "I am afraid that in my concern for Gilhael, whom I have known for far longer than I have known you and whom I love as if he were my own brother, and in my haste to be off and make sure you went to Edoras, I planted within your mind a command never to disobey me."

"And whenever I thought about that scene and my desire to defy you...."

"Your decision to not obey conflicted with my command to obey, hence the sense of panic and confusion," concluded Thandir.

"You said you cannot remove this... command that you’ve set in Earntungol’s mind," Wídfara said. "How then do you hope to help him?"

"By planting yet another command to ignore the first," Elrohir answered. Both Wídfara and Aragorn gasped in consternation and the Dúnadan went so far as to sit up in an attempt to escape, but Elladan held him down with a negligent gesture of a single hand on his chest while speaking to his twin.

"A risky move and I am not sanguine about adding more compulsions on top of this one. I wish Adar were here to consult. I am more inclined to have Estel return to Imladris with us instead and have Adar deal with this."

"I’m not going anywhere," Aragorn said heatedly.

Elladan stared down at his younger brother struggling to rise and his eyes brightened with amusement. "Obviously," he said pointedly. "Lie still, Estel." Such was the force of his command that Aragorn complied almost instantly, long habit of obedience to his older brothers too ingrained to ignore even now.

Elrohir was shaking his head. "We actually thought about that..."

"Thanks for not telling me," Aragorn groused.

"Shush, brother," Elladan admonished without taking his eyes off Elrohir.

"... but decided it would be counterproductive," Elrohir finished. "For better or worse, we need to deal with it now rather than later."

"What if you were able to ease the command rather than try to negate it with another one?" Elladan asked Thandir.

"But the compulsion would still be there," Wídfara protested on his sweordbroðor’s behalf.

"It would still be there regardless, youngling," Thandir responded. He sighed, rubbing a hand over his eyes. "Your solution may work," he said to Elladan, then looked down at Aragorn. "Do you understand what we are saying, Estel?"

Aragorn nodded a little uncertainly. "I think so, but if you only ease the compulsion will I not still suffer panic attacks?"

"Perhaps," Thandir averred, "but they may be just mild enough that you will be able to control them, much the way you control your fear at the start of a battle."

Even Wídfara nodded at that, for they were all warriors and understood that fear was never absent from a battle, merely shunted aside until victory or death made that fear moot. For a long moment no one spoke, all waiting for Aragorn’s decision. Finally, the young Chieftain of the Northern Dúnedain nodded. "Do as you think best," he commanded quietly, easing himself back with a sigh and closing his eyes. If the Elves noticed him surreptitiously reaching a hand out to Wídfara, who took it, giving it a comforting squeeze, they elected not to make mention of it. Instead, Thandir turned to the sons of Elrond.

"Both of you have healing skills and have been well taught by your adar," he said to them. "You must help me to do this, by lending me both your strength and your knowledge."

"We will guide you," Elrohir said softly. "Clear your mind of all thoughts except the need to reach Estel in ósanwë. When you are ready, just nod and let us do the rest."

"I will monitor Estel for any signs of distress," Elladan told them and Thandir nodded.

"And what do I do?" Wídfara asked, confusion and some fear marring his features. He was not sure what the Elves were talking about but his sweordbroðor did not seem too disturbed.

Thandir gave the young Man a warm smile. "Just what you are doing, being here for him."

"It doesn’t seem like much," Wídfara countered.

"On the contrary, Wídfara of the Mearc," Thandir said in a tone of authority, "it counts for much. Now you must remain silent while we attempt this."

Wídfara nodded, giving Aragorn’s hand another squeeze. Elladan, in the meanwhile, had been gently rubbing his hand over Aragorn’s chest, willing calmness and serenity, speaking softly to the Dúnadan in Sindarin. Aragorn’s breathing began to slow and then Elladan nodded to Thandir and Elrohir and Thandir reached over to place his fingers on either side of the Man’s temples, slowing his own breathing to match that of the Mortal.

Silence fell upon them all like a cloak, smothering them, for this room had no window and they had closed the door for privacy. Wídfara stared down at Aragorn who twitched slightly and grimaced, wondering what his sweordbroðor was experiencing....

****

Aragorn wasn’t sure if he was awake or dreaming or something else. At first he had concentrated his attention on Elladan’s slowly, softly spoken words, the sound of Sindarin soothing him, taking him back to an earlier, happier time when he was a child. He felt himself drifting, drifting and then....

He opened eyes he was unaware had been closed to see Thandir standing before him smiling. "How do you fare, Estel?" the Elf asked.

"I am well, Thandir," Aragorn replied and realized that the words were true. He did feel well. The aches in his body from the last few days’ trials were gone and so was the fatigue he had been feeling earlier. His mind felt alert and he gazed about him in wonder. "Where are we?"

Thandir looked about him as well. "That certainly is the question, isn’t it?" he rejoined with a chuckle. "I think it safe to assume we are somewhere in your mind. I promise not to tell your brothers."

Aragorn felt himself blush at that. They appeared to be in a wooded valley with a mixture of aspen and pine and the occasional beech or birch only just beginning to green with new leaves. In the distance they could see the Last Homely House. "This is Imladris."

"Obviously," Thandir said, his expression nonjudgmental. "It makes sense that you would think yourself to a place of safety, but I’m curious to know why this particular dell? I would have thought you would think yourself in your rooms or some other place closer to Imladris."

Without thinking, Aragorn blurted out, "This is where I met Arwen for the first time, thinking she was Lúthien."

At the surprised look on the Elf’s face, a look that swiftly turned shrewd as many things became suddenly clear to him, Aragorn reddened even more. Thandir merely nodded. "As I said, I promise not to tell your brothers."

The seriousness of Thandir’s tone relieved Aragorn and he nodded his own thanks. "So what do we do now?"

"Hmm... good question," Thandir said with a rueful chuckle. "My tutors in Aman never taught me anything like this. When I left Aman under Lord Finrod’s banner, I was only about a thousand years old and was considered too young for some of the more... er... advanced courses in the mental arts."

Aragorn gave him a look of disbelief. "That’s not comforting to hear, Thandir."

"Oh, come now, Estel, have a little faith," the Elf admonished with a wicked grin. "Have I ever let you down?"

"Is that a trick question?" Aragorn couldn’t resist asking with an equally wicked grin of his own.

Thandir threw back his head and laughed. "Much better. Come, let us walk and enjoy the beauty of this place. I confess that even though it has only been ten years since I last saw Imladris, I am anxious to return there, for it is my home and I miss it."

They started walking through the silent woods, for in this dreamscape there was neither wind nor birdsong. Aragorn found himself relaxing again, enjoying the sense of serenity and joy this memory always evoked in him.

"Let us try this," Thandir suddenly said, stopping to face Aragorn. "I’m going to give you a command, one that you will find distasteful. Let us see how you react to it. The intensity of your reaction may give me an idea just how far to ease the original compulsion." Aragorn nodded his understanding. Thandir stared at him with great intensity. "Hit me," he commanded in ringing tones.

Aragorn’s hand came up almost without his realizing it, closing into a fist, and he had to force himself to step back and lower his arm, shaking his head as he did so. "Hit me!" Thandir demanded more forcibly and Aragorn almost complied again but managed to stop himself in time. Tears were running down his cheeks as he struggled against the command.

"Please, Thandir, no!" he begged, nearly weeping in frustration. "Do not do this... I cannot...."

"HIT ME!" Thandir yelled, putting the full power of his voice behind his words. With a shuddering gasp Aragorn raised his hand once more and then lashed out, even as he stood there weeping. Thandir easily grabbed the fist and held the Mortal where he stood. Then he took the young Man into his embrace and rocked him gently to calm him. "Ha mae, mellon nîn," he crooned. "Dartho na hîdh ar lasto na bith nîn. Le Leithion oth thang nîn. Avaphado i-phith nîn i vedir dan innas annûr lîn."

The words rolled over him like an inexorable wave and he gave a sigh of relief as if some tension he was unaware he even held within him was swept away. There was a slight feeling of dizziness and then it passed. He opened his eyes again to find himself looking up at Thandir with his brothers and Wídfara also there. They were back in Dunharrow.

"Did it work?" he whispered.

"We will find out," Thandir said. "Rest for now. Sleep and be refreshed."

Aragorn found himself unable to resist the Elf’s command and in minutes he was deep asleep while the others remained quiet, keeping watch.

****

Aragorn woke to the sound of whispering. Opening his eyes, he looked around and saw that his brothers and Wídfara were gone, but Thandir was standing by the door speaking in low tones to Gilhael. Judging by the fact that his cousin was still dressed for the outdoors, Aragorn assumed that Gilhael had just returned, apparently with news.

"What is it?" he asked, sitting up. "Where are Wídfara and my brothers?"

Thandir and Gilhael moved towards him. "Is all well with you, Cousin?" Gilhael asked, his expression one of concern.

"I am fine, Gilhael," Aragorn assured him. "Now, why don’t you answer my questions."

Both Gilhael and Thandir raised eyebrows at Aragorn’s tone, recognizing that he was addressing them as Chieftain of the Dúnedain and not as Estel or even Aragorn. They sat side-by-side on the cot facing Aragorn, who was sitting on the edge of his own cot, trying to clear the cobwebs of sleep from his mind.

"While you slept," Thandir said, "Elladan decided that Wídfara’s splint could come off and Elrohir went to check on the people of Underharrow still in need of care. Gilhael just arrived with news."

"What news?" Aragorn asked, giving his cousin an enquiring look.

"I met Celegrýn and Gilgirion on my way back to the Stairs," Gilhael answered, his expression unreadable. "They found the missing hunters."

****

All words and phrases are Sindarin unless otherwise noted.

Leithian: Release.

Ósanwë: (Quenya) Interchange or communication of thought; what we would call telepathy.

Ha mae, mellon nîn: ‘It is well, my friend’.

Dartho na hîdh ar lasto na bith nîn: ‘Remain at peace and listen to my words’.

Le Leithion oth thang nîn: ‘I release thee from my compulsion.’

Avaphado i-phith nîn i vedir dan innas annûr lîn: ‘Follow not my words which go against thy deepest (most deep) will’.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List