Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Stirrings of Shadow  by Fiondil

43: Council of War

Thengel called a council of war three days later. Besides Hildebrand and Alric and several of the older warriors in his éored, he invited Aragorn, Gilhael and, to his ever-lasting surprise, Wídfara. The Elves were also asked to attend, though Thandir scowled when he heard the summons.

"We will not involve ourselves with this conflict," he said to Aragorn. "I think we have overstayed our welcome."

"Perhaps," the Dúnadan said in a reasonable tone, "but before you leave I think Thengel would appreciate some input from you. You alone have had more experience in these sorts of matters than all of us put together. Thengel needs to regain Edoras and your help is sorely needed." He paused for a moment and gave Thandir a deprecating grin. "Chieftain of the Dúnedain I may be, but I have had little real experience in warfare. I am as much a novice in this as Wídfara. Please, Thandir, help me to help Thengel whom I have grown to love, whose people may someday be my allies when I most need them."

For a moment Thandir did not speak, but seeing the earnestness in his young protegé’s eyes, he finally nodded. "We will come then, but we will not fight. This war is not our concern."

Aragorn grinned. "As far as you know," he couldn’t help saying and was rewarded with another scowl on the fair face of the Elven scout.

****

The war council met in the common room, for there was no other place in Dunharrow large enough to accommodate everyone. To ensure privacy, Alric had several of his men stationed at each entrance into the main hall to prevent others from unwittingly interrupting.

"Except for the door to the kitchen," Thengel had ordered with a smile. "I would have easy access to the ale. Thinking is thirsty work."

"Especially when one is unused to it," quipped Hildebrand, giving Hildered, who was standing next to him, a wink. Both the Marshal’s heir and Thengel laughed, knowing full-well what Hildebrand meant.

There was some grumbling when Thandir and the other Elves showed up for the council. "Don’t see why we need them here," one of the older, more traditionally-minded warriors muttered to no one in particular, though all heard him, as he meant them to.

Thandir and the other Elves maintained indifferent expressions but Aragorn could see that Elladan and Elrohir at least were hurt by the Man’s words and sighed, looking at Thengel. The king was frowning.

"Whom I choose to grace my councils, Wulfred, is my concern and mine only," Thengel said quietly, raking his eyes across the assembly. "I asked Lord Thandir and the other Elves to this council because I suspect they all have had experience in siege warfare, experience that may help us to regain Edoras with as little loss of life on either side as possible."

Thandir actually smiled. "I’m sure Celegrýn, Gilgirion and I can help you there, but Elladan and Elrohir are only youngsters. They’ve had no such experience."

Now Elladan and Elrohir exchanged amused glances and Elladan spoke. "Thandir speaks truly, Thengel King. My brother and I are too young to be of any use to you in that regard. We were born a century or so after the Last Alliance."

The Rohirrim gave the twins disbelieving looks and Aragorn hid a smile as he saw some of them mentally doing some figuring and realizing just how old these ‘youngsters’ were, then glancing surreptitiously at the other three Elves and wondering just how old they were.

Thengel nodded to Thandir, a faint smile of amusement on his face. "I will keep that in mind, Lord Thandir, and try not to overtax the... er... youngsters with weighty matters."

Thandir laughed and the two older Elves snickered, though both twins had affronted expressions on their faces. Aragorn couldn’t resist sticking his tongue out at them, which made them even more affronted. Thandir tapped Aragorn lightly on the head with his knuckles. "Behave," he said, "or I’ll send all you children away to play."

That sobered them and Aragorn couldn’t help noticing the looks of amusement on the older Men’s faces at the by-play. Thengel raised an eyebrow. "If we can get on with it..." Everyone gave the King of Rohan their undivided attention. Thengel nodded. "The problem as I see it is that the two other entrances into the city, either through the drainage pipe below the dungeons or the licweg that opens up in the cemetery, are closed to us."

"Unless we were able to overcome the guards at the licweg," Hildebrand interjected. "I cannot believe that there can be that many guarding that particular entrance."

"True, but we don’t know if only the guards at the door are all we would have to contend with or if there are others," Thengel admitted. "Still, it’s something to keep in mind. It’s possible that during the dark of the moon some few could overpower the guards without alerting any sentries on the walls or inside the licweg itself and then make their way into the city."

"When were you planning to take the city?" Aragorn asked.

"We cannot hope to lay siege before the end of winter," Thengel explained. "I will need to bring several of my outlying forces in. Hilderic and Erkenbard both have Riders that we will need. Even if I were to send messages now, neither could come with a sufficient enough force before the beginning of Rethe." The king sighed, running a hand through his greying locks. "I want this over with before the time of the spring planting. We cannot afford to let this go on longer than that."

"That may not be something you can control, Uncle," Hildered said, looking older than his years. "I think Grandmother will not give Edoras up so easily."

"How well stocked are they for a siege?" Ragnawulf asked. "If Upbourn offers them supplies and arms...."

"It could prove a very long-drawn affair," Wídfara ventured, looking grim.

"It could be," Thengel allowed, "but it will not be. I will not let this continue into the summer. We will all suffer otherwise."

"What are your plans, then, Thengel King?" Thandir asked. He had participated in two sieges, and neither one of them truly succeeded. The Last Alliance did not destroy Sauron, only made him impotent for a time, and the siege of Angband.... He grimaced at the thought of how arrogant they had all been in believing they could keep Morgoth behind the Leaguer forever. Siege warfare was perhaps the ugliest form of warfare, for it turned the besieged into desperate animals and the besiegers into callous murderers of the innocent.

Thengel gave them all a searching look. "Rethe is not called ‘cruel’ for nothing, but if we wait until the following month we will lose much of the planting season. I would like to avoid that if possible. Our first order of business is to cut off any aid that Upbourn might give to Edoras. We need to take that stronghold first or we will be fighting on two fronts. Then I will offer peace to the traitors in Edoras in hopes of avoiding bloodshed...."

"They will not accept it," came the blunt words of Hildebrand, who grimaced at nothing in particular.

Thengel nodded. "Perhaps not, but I will offer terms nonetheless. If that fails then we will see. Until all my troops are in place there is little any of us can do."

"What about attempting the licweg again?" Aragorn suggested. "We noticed that during the night watch there was little going back and forth of the guards. A small band of infiltrators could take them out and secure the way. Are there other exits besides the one that debouches in your chambers, my lord?"

Thengel nodded. "Yes, there are a couple of other places though I don’t know for sure if they are even accessible any more. There is one that lets you into the royal stables, another I think lets you out into an alley behind the smithy."

"If we can get into the licweg and then find these other doorways," Hildebrand mused, "that would give us the advantage."

"The trick is getting into the licweg and finding these other ways quickly," Gilhael ventured. "It would be too risky for any of us to assay the king’s chamber." He cast a knowing look at Thengel. "I have no doubt that someone has... um... taken that chamber for themselves."

Thengel nodded, his expression sour. "No doubt."

"Is there anyone who would know where these other entrances are located along the licweg?" Hildered asked.

There was much shaking of heads among the Rohirrim. Few had even known that such a place even existed, though many had wondered. Thengel shook his head as well. "I never learned about the other ways," he said with a grim smile. "Father never got around to showing me, if even he knew of them."

For a long moment there was silence and then, surprisingly, Alric spoke up. "There might be someone...."

All turned their attention to the captain of Dunharrow. "Who?" Thengel demanded in surprise.

The captain shrugged. "Among the refugees is an old man who claimed to be one of your stablemasters. I remember when he was brought in that he made mention of the fact that he had escaped through the licweg rather than through the drainage pipe. I didn’t think anything about it at the time for there were too many refugees to contend with."

"Do you know who he is?" Thengel asked.

"Offa, I believe his name to be," Alric stated.

Aragorn started at the name. "He was one of the refugees whom I treated."

Thengel nodded, then turned to his personal guard, Éoward. "Find this Offa," he commanded and the Man saluted and left.

"If it is true that this Offa escaped Edoras through the licweg," Aragorn said, "then there is a chance...."

"But only if he recognizes the way from this side of the door," Wídfara interjected. "He may know the way from the other side but not necessarily from this end."

"We’ll cross that bridge if and when we come to it," Thengel stated. "In the meantime, let us proceed on the assumption that such a route is feasible. What then? Who will assay the licweg and what shall they do once they are inside Edoras?"

For nearly half an hour they discussed all the possible ramifications while waiting for Éoward to return with Offa. Many plans were offered and most discarded. The Elves stayed quiet, listening and watching as these Younger Children in the Thought of Ilúvatar planned for war and the retaking of Edoras.

Eventually Éoward returned with Offa in tow. The old man looked nervous and unsure of himself amidst the warriors but Thengel greeted him warmly and with respect and soon the stablemaster was feeling more at ease.

"Aye," he said to Thengel’s enquiry, "I made my way from the stables to the licweg right enough."

"Could you find the way back in if you needed to?" Thengel asked.

The old man stroke his scraggly beard, his eyes hooded in thought. Slowly he nodded. "I believe I can. As I recall I came into the licweg just above some stairs that went down towards the cemetery."

Aragorn raised an eyebrow. "I think I know where he means, my lord," he said. "From the cemetery, as you know, there is a short flat way that leads to a flight of stairs, but at the top it becomes flat for a while before the path begins winding further up into Meduseld. I do recall that there was a side passage on our left just before we started to climb again. I paid little heed to it but it seemed that it sloped downward. That must be where Offa means."

Offa nodded. "That sounds about right, Thengel King," he replied. "I recall that once inside the secret passage I had to climb upward for a short bit until I reached a level area and then there were stairs leading down." He then looked apologetic. "I fear I do not know the means by which the door leading into the stables can be opened from inside the licweg. I only know it from the stable side."

"That the knowledge of such an entrance exists is enough, good Offa," Thengel said with a smile. "There are ways of discovering the means by which such doors may be opened, never fear. I thank you for your service to us, Offa son of Gram. It shall not be forgotten."

Offa gave the king an embarrassed bow and then took his leave with Éoward escorting him back to his tent on Thengel’s orders. When the stablemaster was gone the council resumed its discussion of what they had learned.

"Grimbold, Wídfara and I have assayed the licweg before, Thengel King," Aragorn said at one point. "We are more familiar with it than most others. Perhaps we should..."

Thengel shook his head. "I will not risk you in such a venture," the king stated categorically. "There are others who will attempt the licweg. I have other plans for you, Thorongil, you and Gilhael both."

The two Dúnedain exchanged confused looks before returning their attention to Thengel. It was Gilhael who spoke for them both. "We are yours to command, Thengel King."

"Yes, you are," was Thengel’s only reply.

Shortly thereafter the council broke up. Aragorn and Gilhael left with the Elves while Wídfara went to speak with Hildered about something. No one spoke as they made their way outside to take some fresh air. The afternoon was crisp and cold but there was a hint of spring coming and that gladdened their hearts. They made their way beyond the causeway to walk among the standing stones leading towards the Dimholt.

"When do you leave?" Aragorn asked Thandir without preamble and the Elf gave him a thin smile.

"Trying to get rid of us so soon?"

Aragorn stopped, his expression sober, for he was in no mood for levity. "You are the one who keeps insisting this war is not yours."

"And it is not," Thandir averred. "That is not to say that our time here is at an end. We will leave, but not yet."

"Why do you stay at all?" Gilhael asked, his brow puckered in confusion. "It’s not as if either of us need to be minded like children."

Elladan gave him a smirk. "Are you sure about that? The two of you seem very eager to get into as much trouble as you possibly can."

Aragorn sighed. "Jest all you wish, Elladan," he said with a slight scowl marring his face, "but eventually you will have to let us... let me go my own way. I am not little Estel anymore."

The Elves gazed upon the two Dúnedain with something close to sorrow in their ancient eyes. Finally, Thandir nodded. "No, you are not little Estel anymore."

Aragorn looked down at his feet, suddenly feeling chagrined. "I’m sorry," he whispered. "I can’t help growing up."

"Nor should you apologize for doing so," Elrohir said, taking Aragorn by the shoulders and giving them a brief squeeze. "We will always mourn for the little boy who stole our hearts when we were not looking, but we rejoice in the man you have become in these last few years. Before, you were our little brother, but now, you are our brother-in-arms and our equal."

Aragorn gave him a lop-sided grin. "I’ll never be your equal, Elrohir, in anything."

The Elf smiled. "Perhaps, but we can always pretend."

That set Aragorn laughing and soon the others joined him and their mood lightened. Thandir gave the two Men a piercing look. "We will not fight in this war, for it is not ours to fight, but we will stay and help as we may. Thengel is a good Man and deserves better."

"And the Lady Morwen may need our aid soon enough," Elrohir said and Elladan nodded.

Aragorn gave them both piercing looks, then nodded as well. "You sense what I sense... that all is not well with her."

"This pregnancy appears to be very difficult for Lady Morwen," Elladan stated. "Yet, the child thrives and she will soon be born. Elrohir and I would like to make sure that both mother and child survive the birthing."

"As would I," Aragorn said. "I would welcome your help when the time comes."

"When the time comes you shall have it, Little Brother," Elladan assured him with a smile.

The breeze picked up just then as the sun began setting over Írensaga and both Aragorn and Gilhael shrugged their cloaks closer to themselves. The Elves gave them sympathetic looks. "Come, let us go back inside before you two catch your deaths," Thandir said as he noticed Aragorn shivering. Neither Mortal bothered to argue.

****

Rethe: Equivalent to our March. The name was used in the Shire for this month and is derived from the language of Dale and Rohan so I use it here. See Appendix D. The actual Old English word was Hreðemónað, literally ‘cruel month’.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List