Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

The 500 Words Challenge  by Timmy2222

Temper

(Sequel to “cold”)

   The air was hot and humid and smelled of rotten plants and foul water. Strider squinted as he tried to see the horizon and wondered how many foes had perished, punished by the angry eldest. The villagers had not only taken his weapons, but had left him with his hands and feet bound in the fen. While the sun rose and the mist dissolved he did not descry more than flocks of birds taking off in the distance. No man walked here for the fen was treacherous. Without being shackled, Strider would have taken every precaution while walking this land. He heard movement around him, but wherever he looked there were only frogs, snakes, and some small scavengers searching for food in the puddles.

   As the day went by, Strider repeatedly tried to get rid of the leather rope that held his wrists. He had been in desolate situations before and was no man to give up hope easily. Vividly, he remembered his journeys with Gandalf. They had been in peril more often than not, and they had fought side by side. A deep friendship bound them, and Strider had always trusted the old man's decisions and had taken the task to find Gollum willingly. He knew that the old wizard tried the same, for the best of all peoples of Middle Earth. Strider hoped that Gandalf was safe. The days became darker and more dangerous as the evil in the east rose and searched for new allies. There were few elves and less men who would be able to strengthen the defense against Sauron's rising armies, and he, one of the Rangers from the north, was one of them. However, in the brightness of day Strider did not see a chance to free him. For a moment, when dusk was close, he lost his temper and tore the bonds, frustrated. The wet leather held him, and he gave in. Wearily, suffering from thirst and hunger, he rested again on his side. He sent his thoughts to his beloved Arwen, knowing she could not help him, but the image in his mind soothed his troubled heart.

   The sun set and with it quietness settled across the vast landscape. Strider strained his ears and eyes when he heard movement coming closer from the west. Though the ground was moist the creature hardly made noise, and only his trained ears recognized it was no animal he knew. He sat up slowly. His breathing accelerated. Then, as if surfacing from earth itself, a cloaked frame appeared before him. He looked up, and could not help but frown.

   “Who are you?” he asked quietly for he could not see a face or hands. He was more astonished when he heard a voice answering softly,

   “So you are the one they sent to either grant friendship or death.”

Word count 497





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List