Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

The 500 Words Challenge  by Timmy2222

Abandoned

(sequel to “cold” and “temper”)

   “Do not fear me,” said the voice so quietly it was impossible to determine if it was a man or a woman. The stranger crouched. The wide cloak touched ground, and still Strider could neither see the hands nor the face of the man before him.

   “If I shall not fear you, why do you not reveal yourself?”

   “You have been here for a day, bound, frightened, left hungry and thirsty. And still you wish for revelation first?” There was a touch of amusement to the voice, and Strider frowned deeper as he nodded. “You are strong. I have seen men out here who begged for release. Begged for water and freedom. Begged for a way out of this devilish land. And you but wish to see me?”

   “You have the advantage of seeing my face. I am Strider, a wanderer in these lands.”

   For a long moment, Strider heard only breathing. His hands hurt and he was thirsty enough to be impatient. However, he sensed that the stranger had seen more and learned more than he understood right now. There was no sense in urging him.

   Suddenly, the stranger pulled back the cloak. Perhaps, other men had gasped, turned away in shock and dismay. Strider held his gaze steadily on the stranger's face. She was a woman in her thirties with long brown hair, framing an oval face. Yet, there was no beauty to it. Scars ran from her left eye to her chin and the skin of her face was hardened by weather and hardship. Her light brown eyes had lost its spark, and her mouth was thin-lipped and crooked and added to her ugly appearance. Her gaze was challenging him, but he waited.

   “You still look at me?” the strange woman demanded to know. “And do you still want to see me?”

   “Now that I see your face, would you mind telling me your name?”

   The woman cocked her head. She had expected shouts of dismay, but not equanimity.

   “Larina.”

   “Larina, would you mind cutting the ropes? Please?” She stared at him, and then, as quickly as she had revealed herself, she took a short knife from a sheath, knelt behind the prisoner and freed him. Strider rubbed his wrists. “Thank you.”

   Larina hesitated to cut the rope around his ankles. She stepped back, the knife open and threatening in her left hand. “They abandoned you here to die. What did you do?”

   He made no attempt to unwind the rope. “I woke this morning and learned that I had married the daughter of the eldest. I denied that.”

   Larina threw back her head and laughed. Strider did not share her amusement. He was puzzled. When she finally looked at him again amusement faded from her face like color dissolving in water. “You are not the first they sent. And that woman is not his only daughter.”

Word count 488





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List