Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

The 500 Words Challenge  by Timmy2222

Prank

(Sequel to ‘Sky' and previous prompts)

   Larina was singing when she entered the village. Her voice was rich and full, her alto carried far. The song rose in volume and intensity, and the people came out of their huts as if drawn by invisible strings. They gaped at her. Larina smiled and still her music filled the air. It reached out and touched the hearts and souls of the men and women, gently, like a caressing hand. Her face remained hidden behind the hood. The villagers did not stare at her, but relaxed with the warmth she radiated. Their eyes were hazy, bespelled by the eerie music.

   Behind her Strider stood, trying to focus, trying to remain alert while the people around him acted like thrown in trance. He frowned, and his breathing was labored while the enchantment lasted. Watching the men and women, he strained to stay out of the mystical touch of Larina's voice. He felt a weight on his body as if resistance got harder with every breath. His ancestry protected him and lent him strength, but when the singing ended he was close to collapsing. His eyes were closed, and when he heard Larina speak and looked up he was kneeling on the ground, panting.

   Larina tenderly lifted his chin. “Your strength is remarkable, Strider.” Her smile held a touch of care, affection and knowledge at the same time. “You are by far the strongest of men they sent me.”

   Strider swallowed hard, relearning how to breathe. “What… what did you do?” he asked and glanced past her to where the villagers still stood, swaying slightly in the morning mist.

   “Just a prank,” a grumpy voice said, and Strider saw the eldest of the village stepping closer, passing through the lines of his people. “Another evil she spreads like a disease.”

   “Good morning,” Larina said warmly as if he had not accused her. “I found your…” She glanced back at Strider, who slowly stood. “…gift.”

   “So you did.” The old man kept wary eyes on her. Around him the villagers woke from the spell and gazed around, insecure how they had come to the center of the village. “You swore to never misuse your powers, you…”

   Larina lifted her right hand, and the old man fell silent like slapped. Her voice was still gentle when she said, “You will not call me names, not now and not later. I did not come here to play pranks on you,” she told the people around her, “but to thank you.”

   “Thank us?” The old man frowned and glanced at Strider. “What is there to thank us for?”

   “I was told that you gave this man your daughter.” Larina tried to glimpse past the old man, and when she found the juvenile face of the woman Strider had learned to be his wife, her smile deepened. “It has always been the right of the eldest to be married first.”

   The face of the old man fell. “No, you cannot…”

   Larina's voice dropped to a grumble. “Oh, yes, I can. For I am your firstborn daughter.”

Word count 515 (oops…)





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List