Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

The 500 Words Challenge  by Timmy2222

Sky

(Sequel to “Cold“, “Temper“, and “Abandoned“)

   When the morning waned, and the sky glowed, announcing a bright day after the mist would have dissolved, Larina walked to the village without turning whether Strider followed her. Her stride was even; she had walked these treacherous grounds for long. He followed her footsteps vigilantly.

   “May I ask why you live in the fen?“ Strider finally broke the silence.

   Larina glanced over her shoulder. “A beast came and attacked us. But while two men died I was left behind. Dying, but not dead.“ Her voice did not reveal sadness or regret. “No one dared touching me. They said the curse of the beast was on me and that no living man would ever touch me without being killed.” She stopped and lifted her chin to look into Strider's eyes. “I was left at the mercy of the fen, the beast and my fate... was to live or die but to never return.” Strider's expression was grim, but he did not interrupt her. “The old Mendaris found me. He lived in the fen, cast out like I was.” A small smile appeared and quickly vanished. “They said he was a sorcerer. For they did not understand him. They never understood.” Larina turned away. Strider held her arm, gently but firmly.

   “They had no right to…”

   For a moment anger and despair cloaked Larina's face. “You do not know about right or wrong, Strider. Not here. Not in the fen.” She walked on, and he followed. “Mendaris saved me, and from that day on I shared his hut and learned his magic.”

   “You are a healer?”

   Larina shook her head. “Mendaris was a healer. A great man. They came to him when they did not know where else to go to find a cure. But now he is dead and I…” She broke off and hung her head.

   “They do not see a healer, but a… judge in you?”

   Larina laughed, then shook her head briskly. “A judge I am not. But you are right, the villagers leave it to me if I save or damn these poor souls they send me. Still, they do not understand. But I will teach them.”

Word count 370





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List