Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

The 500 Words Challenge  by Timmy2222

Prompt # 61: rogue

(Sequels start with “cold”)

   “I need my weapons!” Strider demanded, and a juvenile ran to fetch them. And while Strider girded his sword and sheathed his dagger the villagers were terror-stricken and unable to move. “Go, go and arm yourselves!” Only then the men moved and came back with knives and axes, some with clubs. The howling was close now, a horrifying sound, and more than one of the villagers’ faces were ashen with the thought of the beast attacking them.

   “You attracted the beast!” Alandos growled and spat at Larina's feet. “You brought it here!”

   “I did not! I never call it!”

   “But?” Alandos prompted.

   “I feed it! And you know that! It's the price that keeps you safe!”

   “And you, I assume,” Strider added.

   “The beast wanted to destroy us before Larina soothed it.” It was Frein speaking. Regret showed on his face.

   Larina glanced at him, saying, “I've soothed the beast for long. But now,” she added, turning to Strider, “when there is no food though he sensed it, he will follow the scent. It will take him here.”

   Strider swallowed. “To me?”

   The beast, tall as a warg, appeared at the corner of the closest hut. Its mane was brown, thick and matted. Eyes lay like pieces of amber in the midst of a furred face with a broad snout and when it growled fangs showed. The men retreated in awe and fear, their knives and axes forgotten. Larina hummed in a soft voice, and the men stopped. So did the beast.

   Strider was unmoved but raised his bow, fetching an arrow from the quiver.

   “No!” Suddenly Larina bolted through the rows of men and stood before the beast, shielding it with her body. “Do not kill him!”

   “Not?” Frein echoed, standing close to Strider, who still held the arrow poised.

   Larina outstretched her hands while behind her the beast took a step forward, sniffing the air and growling deep in its throat. “He’s not such a rogue as you think he is. He spared me because… because he likes my singing.” She glanced over her shoulder and her gaze softened. The beast put its paws closer to her body. It listened to her voice, and there was no aggressiveness in its look.

   “You are the keeper of the beast,” Strider said in sudden recognition as he lowered his bow.

   “No, not a keeper.”

   “But you like it.” There was caution in Frein's statement. “You truly like this… creature.”

   “In all these years it kept me safe and so I learned to like it, father. And yet, I wanted to return to my village. But my task was to keep him from marauding our village, and so I learned to help him find food.” Behind her the beast made a sound that was almost a word, but neither the men nor Strider were able to understand it. Larina smiled. “My gift is not only to charm people with my voice but to understand what once had words to talk.”

Word count 499

 





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List