Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

The 500 Words Challenge  by Timmy2222

Prompt # 62: celebration

(Sequels started with “cold”)

   “You are a…”

   “I am your daughter,” she interrupted Frein. “And like a daughter I want to be treated. And of you,” she cried, addressing all the villagers present, “I expect you to welcome me back to our village. No longer do I wish to be outcast!”

   “You are not welcome here with… that thing!” Alandos spat. The beast growled as if it had understood the words, and the villager stumbled backwards, paling.

   “As I understand your customs,” Strider said, “she has the right to claim a hut in this village for she is married.”

   “That might be.” Frein could not move his eyes away from his daughter and the beast that stood on four legs behind her. Its snout was so close to her hand he wondered if it would bite the hand off or wanted to be caressed. “But will you stay as her husband, Strider?”

   “Will it not suffice that your daughter spent years of her young life in the wilderness to keep your village safe from harm? Does that not earn her a place among you? You are the eldest of this village, so it is upon you to make a decision.” He looked in the old man's eyes long and hard. Finally, Frein turned his gaze down. Strider faced the villagers. “She did more than anyone of you could ever expect of her! She even faced a beast that almost killed her only to keep you alive! It is her right to be here!”

   “But the beast…”

   “The beast has been my concern for all this time,” Larina said, “so let it be.” She patted the wild mane, and the beast closed its eyes. Murmurs of wonder and utter astonishment rose. “Drop your axes for you will not need them.” Again she sang, low and wonderful, and the men and women were touched with bliss. Larina lifted her gaze to where Strider stood. “I will not bind you to me in marriage if it is your wish to leave, wanderer. For there is more to you than meets the eye. I know that.” She smiled, her hand still resting on the beast's mane. “He knows it, too. So you will leave and maybe, one day, there will be a celebration when you will have found your love.”

   Strider looked at her and knew that Larina was by far more than she had revealed. He gave a curt bow that she returned. He would move on and so would she.

(End of sequels)

Word count: 408

 





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List