Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

The Great Hobbiton Race of 1435  by Llinos

Chapter 2 - Are You Sure It's Not Dangerous?

It took two hours, ten sturdy hobbits, six planks of wood, the team of horses and a constant stream of shouted, frantic and often contradictory instructions from Merry and Pippin to unload the great machine from the waggon.

Finally the great, gleaming machine stood in all its glory in the centre of Hobbiton. Another team of helpers was employed to run the seemingly endless hose down to The Water and, as the engine was not yet running, manually operate the hand pump until both tanks were filled to the brim.

Then kindling and coal had to be brought and shovelled into the firebox, and Pippin ceremoniously lit the first match and set it to the fire.

As the coals began to glow red and the steam started to build up, Pippin took the controls, sitting high up on the engine, with his feet dangling but looking, the older hobbits thought, surprisingly confident. He grabbed a tight hold on the wheel in the centre and spun it vigorously, then, watching the pressure gauge carefully, pulled a lever above his head.

The engine emitted a terrifying screech and a few of the hobbits ran for cover. Several fell over and one old gaffer dropped his pipe with shock, while the ponies in the nearby field bolted in terror. Two little lasses were crying with fear, so an elderly gammar flapped her apron at it as if to shoo it away, although a small group of lads jumped up and down and clapped with glee.

"Well now, Merry," Sam had removed himself several feet from the engine, just to be on the safe side. "Are you sure it's not dangerous? I mean does Pippin know what he's doing?"

"Of course it's safe!" Merry had to shout over the racket of the crying, shouting and the loud thumping of the engine. "It's a beauty. It's got a superheater header; main steam pipes to the cylinders, blower and ejector exhaust pipes. It's even fitted with a spark arrestor, to say nothing of the drop grate and hopper ashpan."

"That's as maybe," Sam shouted back, "but it's scaring everyone to death!"

"They'll get used to it," Merry said more optimistically than he felt. "It’s going to save a lot of work." He surveyed the worried looking crowd and vaulted up onto the engine. "Can you turn it down a tad Pip? It's a trifle noisy!"

"I'm just getting the hang of it," Pippin bellowed over the noise. "Bit too much pressure I think."

Merry checked the gauge, spun a few wheels releasing several valves and gradually the engine settled down to a low thud. "There." He turned back to the shaken up crowd, most of whom were recovering from their shock and, curiosity getting the better of them, were cautiously waiting to see what would happen next. "Who wants a ride?"

The younger lads surged forward, but Merry waved them aside. "Come on Mayor Gamgee, you should be the first." He held out a hand to Sam.

Sam coughed as if playing for time, scratched his head, then shook it. He decided the only way out was a speech. He cleared his throat again. "My friends, this is a splendid gift to the people of Bywater and Hobbiton and, as Mayor, I would like to extend our thanks to Master Brandybuck and Thain Peregrin."

There were several cheers at this as well as a couple of mumbles and a few muttered comments along the lines of 'engines! Tsk!', 'save work – my hat!' 'where's it all going to end?' 'didn't fight a war for this kind of nonsense!' 'it's like having that villain Sharky back!'

Sam ignored the comments and ploughed on, "I am certain that this magnificent contraption will prove a boon to the people of the West Farthing and I would like to add that we will be happy to share our good fortune with the rest of The Shire and that any hobbits who wish to borrow the… the thingamabob will be more than welcome to avail themselves of it at any time."

There was loud cheering at this last announcement and Merry frowned at Pippin, sensing that their gift was less well received than they had hoped.

Merry jumped down from the engine and stood next to Sam. "My Lord Mayor and esteemed hobbits of Bywater and Hobbiton!" he began. "Thank you for your kind words." Merry bowed to Sam. "The Thain and I hope that this magnificent machine will be the first step in progress towards a wealthier and more prosperous life for you all. The time and labour saved in the use of this amazing engine will enable every one of you to take more leisure in pursuits that please you or to occupy yourselves with greater tasks than just mowing.

"But I like mowing!" A disgruntled voice heckled from the back.

"And how is that monstrosity going to save time?" Gaffer Burrows was not known for his tact. "It'd take fifty hobbits just to haul it up to the field!"

"It goes on its own," Pippin explained. "That is, you drive it along. It doesn't need hauling or anything."

"And it can mow a whole meadow in half an hour," Merry added, "with just one hobbit driving it!"

"Well I'd like to see that!" Farmer Cotton was too old himself now to mow, he left that to his lads, but he still kept a healthy interest in new farming methods.

Voices began to rise again as various opinions as to the worth of the machine were tendered.

"It'd be too cumbersome, you mark my words!"

"One hobbit in half an hour! We could spend the rest of the day in the pub!"

"Bit o' hard work never hurt no one!"

"All that smoke and noise!"

"It's worth a try at least! I got better things to do than cut grass."

"Rides! Rides! Rides!" The cluster of young lads set up a chorus of pleas, jumping up and down at the side of the engine, trying to get the Thain's attention. One, bolder than the rest, shouted out, "Captain Peregrin! Master Thain, make it scream again!"

Pippin, one eye on the pressure gauge, complied and pulled the lever, eliciting a prolonged high-pitched steam blown whistle. He soon had everyone's undivided attention. "I know how to convince you all," he announced. "How about a race?"

TBC

 





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List