Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Agape's Attempts  by Agape4Gondor

Ch. 32 - Disquiet – A Tribble

Irritably pulling parchment from a drawer, he dipped his quill in the ink and furiously wrote:

‘My heart longs to write, yet my mind is so filled with a thousand details that I scarce can even think where to begin.

I miss Faramir. I want one of my sons by my side. Boromir has been gone overlong and I begin to fear for him – fear for the fearless! If my heart were not so heavy, I would laugh at the thought. Never have I put the name Boromir in the same thought or missive with fear. Even as a lad, headstrong and fearless, he would frighten Finduilas with his antics, walking atop the escarpment, climbing down walls as shortcut to the first circle (she did not know I had done the same even after my youth), swimming in whirlpools on the great river – so many foolhardy adventures. Yet, fearless he was. And taking Faramir with him. Her heart twice assailed.’

He paused for a moment. ‘Mayhap that was another cause of her despair.’

He shook his head. ‘Nay! Much of that happened after she passed. Was it her passing that gave my sons the freedom to disregard safety? Nay again! Not sons, for Faramir is the wiser. It is hard for me to think this, but he is, at least in the ways of caution. ‘Twas Boromir conceived the adventures and Faramir’s love for Boromir (who could not love him?) that bid him follow into danger.

Of course, I could not stay them. ‘Twas good training for the both of them – to stretch themselves beyond their own familiarity.

Until these dreams, these accursed dreams. Boromir would not consent to Faramir’s following him on this fear-filled quest.

Fear! There it is again. I fear for Boromir. Where are you, my son?'





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List