Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

The Rider - Finding Trouble  by Jay of Lasgalen

Elladan was cold, alone and wet, three things he absolutely detested being. The pain from his leg was not unbearable, he had been in worse pain before, and it seemed to him as if it were starting to go numb. A positive thought, he mused. He did not doubt for a moment Elrohir’s promise to return, but regardless being trapped under a fallen tree, unable to move, left little opportunity to do much else than contemplate the worst possible outcomes.

He was stuck, but perhaps he could try and move some of the smaller debris, in order to facilitate the removal of the larger tree that had him pinned down. If nothing else, it would give him something to do as he lay in wait of Elrohir’s return. Resignedly, he began shifting some of the smaller logs.

Having cleared out the immediate surrounding area, he took a look around his surroundings, assessing his most immediate concerns. The tree was wedged in place by a series of boulders on one side of the river, and a root formation on the other, however, it could be moved if it were brought up over the boulders, by propping it up against another large log nearby. Perhaps this would give him enough room to squirm free. With a grin he braced himself as best he could against a boulder behind him, and used his good leg to push log. Slowly, but surely, it began to move. And equally slowly the tree began to rise. It was working!

Suddenly, with a large crack, water broke free from under the tree where it had previously been blocked, and began to pour into his crevice. With the water lever rising steadily around him, and still unable to move, Elladan had little choice but to pray for Elrohir’s swift return.

---
“I will go with them,” Elrohir said, ignoring all attempts to confine him to bed rest.

“You are exhausted Elrohir, you will do no one any good if you collapse.”

Elrohir glared at his mother in a way that clearly suggested he was refusing to listen to reason.

“You would slow them down,” she said, but all sting that may have been present in those words was eased by her kind tone and understanding smile.

Elrohir rose again, heading for the door. “It is not always what is easiest that is right, my son. Sometimes it takes more courage to wait in worry, than to ride out headstrong into danger.”

“I have not your strength then mother,” he said, more calmly than before. “I promised him I would return.”

“Let your father go to him. You and I must prepare for his return here.” She rose and led him into the next room. “He will require healing when he arrives. Come, doing something will keep your mind off of worrying.”

“I could be engaged in a thousand tasks and still worry mother,” he said sullenly. Celebrían simply nodded knowingly.

“You are not the only one who worries Elrohir,” she said as she turned to leave the room. “Remember that.”

“Yes mother,” he said resignedly, and followed.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List