Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

The Rider - Finding Trouble  by Jay of Lasgalen

Elrohir strove to obey his mother and keep himself occupied with preparations for his brother's return, but no amount of concerted activity could keep him from fretting after his twin. Though they were separated by the distance of many leagues, he could still sense his brother's pain and fear as clearly as if he were standing next to him. No actual words formed in his mind, yet still he knew that Elladan was calling to him in his trouble, telling him to hurry...

Elrohir silently cursed his own weakness that had made him break his promise to his brother, and kept him behind while others went in rescue. But he had been exhausted and needed rest, and he also wished to honor his mother's desire for him to remain -- so, knowing his presence would comfort her own fear, he schooled his face to hide his distress. He held Elladan in his thoughts, and projected as much loving encouragement as he could muster in his twin's direction.

"Be brave, my brother! Help is coming!"

***

Elladan was comforted despite the rising water which threatened him. He was not entirely alone -- his horse Vorondil stood upon the bank, as close as he could come to his rider before the steep sides of the riverbank prevented him from approaching further. He whickered softly at intervals, sensing danger from the rising water, but not knowing how to intervene. Elladan spoke to him quietly, to soothe his horse's fear as well as his own.

Elrohir was there with him, as well -- present in thought, if not in body -- and that gave Elladan great solace. Help for him would come in time, Elrohir would see to it.

He eyed the tree he had been attempting to shift, wondering if his plan were as wise had he had originally thought. He had not realized how much difference the shifting of that tree would make to the blocked flow of the river; now that an opening had been created, the water level below the dam was rising, slowly but steadily. If not for the fact that much of the water was moving away downstream as it was released from the logjam, Elladan would have been in greater danger of being overwhelmed and drowned. There was still danger of that, however, if the dammed river were to begin releasing water at a faster rate.

Even as the thought came, Elladan felt a difference in pressure on his trapped leg, and felt the mass of debris surrounding him shift. He gave a wordless shout of alarm as he realized the dam was breaking up. He would be swept away by the flood if he could not free himself in time! Struggling, he found he was able to move more freely, and worked desperately to extricate his leg before the river was successful in breaking loose.

The debris shifted again, and suddenly water was pouring over him. Elladan cried out again, and twisting to the side, scrabbled at the boulder beside him, grasping at anything that would keep him from being taken away on the flood.

***

Elrohir gasped suddenly, and lifting his head from his tasks, he held himself very still, as if listening intently to a sound on the wind. Turning sharply away from what he had been doing, he faced his mother and grasped her hand.

"Mother, I must go!" he resolutely declared. "I know you wished me to remain here, but I cannot. Something is happening to Elladan, and I must go to him. I cannot stay away when he needs me; he is my brother, and I promised him I would return."

Celebrķan sighed and bowed her head; when she once more looked up, there was understanding as well as renewed fear in her eyes.

"I should have known it would be too hard for you," she replied, nodding. "It was unfair and bit selfish of me, perhaps, to attempt to keep you here, though you were worn out from your wild ride to seek aid for your brother, and needed the rest. I wished you to rest and recover, but I also wanted you here for myself. It is far easier for a mother to bear the fear she has for a son in danger, when her other son is by her side, safe."

"Do not fear for me, Mother," said Elrohir, kissing her gently. "I am sufficiently rested, and there is little danger to me in my going. Only Elladan is in peril. Alas! I should not have left him!"

She gripped his hand tightly, then released it.

"Go to Elladan, my son. Go quickly, and return safely -- both of you together!"





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List