Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

My Sword Trembles - Book Three - 'My Sword' Series  by Agape4Gondor

Chapter Thirty-Seven - Of Brine and Bakes

Prince Imrahil was at dockside when the skiff from the Anardil landed. Warmly hugging Faramir, he whispered into the lad’s ear, “I am so happy to have you finally with me in peace.”

Faramir’s tears fell. “Uncle,” was all he could say. His sea legs gave out and he collapsed into his uncle’s arms. “I am sorry,” he blushed furiously.

“Nay. You have been aboard ship for quite some time. Even a seasoned sailor sometimes finds it difficult to walk again upon dry land. Would you mind if I carried you home?”

Faramir touched Imrahil’s face. “I am to be an esquire come spring. I do not think it seemly for me to be carried.”

The prince could hardly contain the sob that choked his throat. The gesture, so familiar when Faramir had stayed in Dol Amroth after Finduilas died, brought tears to his eyes. “Then, give yourself one moment more and your legs should do your bidding, my nephew.”

A moment passed, then Borondir stepped up onto the dock. “Prince Imrahil. Regent Indis sends you her greetings and her love.” The captain looked at Faramir’s face and hid a smile. His own legs felt slightly wobbly, but he would not let on.

By this time, Faramir had recovered. Imrahil held his hand. “Thank you, Captain Borondir. And how was your trip? I heard there were no storms upon the Sea.”

“Spectacular. We saw… I will let Steward Faramir tell you more of our journey. Suffice it to say, the captain runs a tight ship and we had no complaints. You recall my wife, Ragnhild?” Borondir took the counselor’s hand and helped her up onto the dock.

“I do.” Still holding Faramir’s hand, Imrahil reached around Ragnhild’s shoulders and embraced her. “I miss my traveling companion.” He smiled broadly.

“Ah, Prince Imrahil. Those days whilst traveling with you to Minas Tirith hold special memories for me. I do not believe I thanked you for the trust you bestowed upon this stranger from Rohan.”

“Stranger no longer. Trusted friend and counselor to our Regent. I am very glad I accepted your tale and rode to the White City. I dare not think of the consequences had I not done so.” He shuddered and held Faramir’s hand a little tighter.

“Now, come to my home and take some rest. A sea voyage, though peaceful, drains even a sailor. I have a banquet prepared, but not till this evening. My servants are at your disposal; each of you has their own. If you have any needs whatsoever, even to a dressing gown, let my people know and you will be taken care of. Now, if I might, my Faramir and I go to the Sea.”

Faramir looked at his uncle in surprise.

“I have a bake readied. It is that season, you know. Clams are waiting in the sands. Do you remember…”

And Borondir, Ragnhild, Targon and the others watched in amusement as Prince Imrahil and a contingent of Dol Amroth’s finest Swan Knights walked off towards the beach.

“Well, I suppose that means we are on our own for nuncheon.” Borondir smiled.

“It does not, Captain. I am your official greeter.”

“Arantar!” Ragnhild flung herself into the man’s arms as Borondir looked on quizzically.

The prince’s second smiled at her. “It is good to see you, too. It is good to know you are still alive and kicking. At the fountain, I thought surely we had lost you.”

“Nay. Though I wish ‘twere me instead of dear Boromir. But I forget myself. This is Captain Borondir, my husband. He is a retired captain of Gondor who did us great service in Tarnost.” Borondir saluted.

Arantar laughed and grabbed the erstwhile captain of Gondor and hugged the breath from him. “We stand not upon ceremony amongst friends. Your wife rode with my prince as we attempted to rescue Boromir. Sadly, we failed.”

“Nay,” Ragnhild cried out. “We did not fail. Béma had other plans for the boy. He is happy now.”

“It seems to have been fated, yet my heart still aches over the loss of Boromir. Faramir looks well,” he smiled widely. “Much healthier than the last time I saw him, almost robust!”

“He is and has begun his training as Steward.”

“Good. Now, I am sure you are all tired and looking for a bath in water that is not the Sea’s.”

They all laughed and followed Arantar into carriages and then onto the castle of Dol Amroth.

~*~

The smell of cooked seafood, salt water, and the feel of the sun on his neck, all contrived to make Faramir a very sleepy boy. His hands were covered with butter and some of it had trailed down his chin onto his tunic. He looked at it in slight alarm. “Amma will not be happy that I have ruined this.”

Imrahil smiled indulgently. “I have cleaners here. The tunic will be spotless by the time you go home. Finish the last of the crab, I have had my fill.” Faramir enthusiastically obeyed.

At last they were both sated. As they sat licking the butter from their fingers, uncle and nephew smiled. “It has been too long since last you ate of our crabs and clams.”

Faramir wiped his mouth with his sleeve and replied, “My hands could not even remember how to crack the crabs,” he laughed, ‘but they remembered quickly enough! Amma said I should stay for a month. Does the season end soon?”

“Nay. We will find crabs and clams and such for the entire month. Should I just set up a tent for us here on the beach?”

Faramir laughed, then sighed. “I would like that.”

“You have suffered this past month, my son?”

Faramir’s tears fell and he lunged into Imrahil’s open arms. “This past year,” he gulped.

“I know. Faramir, your father would be most proud of you. It has been a trying year, one that could break the back of the most stalwart knight of Gondor, but you have triumphed. You really have.”

“Have I, Uncle? Would he not consider me foolish, having been washed away by the River?”

“Nay, dearest Faramir. It was the beast’s fault, if the reports I received tell the story rightly. A very large badger from what I understand.”

“It was hideous, Uncle,” Faramir buried his face deeper into Imrahil’s saltwater sprayed tunic. “I was so frightened. I wet myself.” The boy looked up, concern writ across his face that his uncle might somehow think less of him.

Imrahil laughed and hugged his nephew tighter. “Then it is best the River took you for you would not want others to see that.”

Faramir giggled. “I suppose I should then be glad I fell in?”

“I think so,” Imrahil laughed with him. “I heard something about an eagle?”

“Yes! Oh, Uncle. I wish I had not been so frightened. I saw it but somehow thought it was the beast.”

“Faramir,” Imrahil’s tone turned serious. “One day you will have to face another badger. You will then see that they are not beasts, just larger animals.”

Smiling, Faramir hugged his uncle. “If you stood by my side, I would do it today.”

“Oh, Faramir. I do so love you.” He ruffled the boy’s hair, then smiled at the huge yawn that came from the Steward’s mouth. “I suppose it is time we returned home. Your aunt waits for you. I do not want to miss my afternoon nap either.”

Faramir giggled. “You do not take a nap.”

“I do so. Any good warrior sleeps when he can. Have you not learned that?”

Faramir looked at him and Imrahil had to hide the smile that tried to force itself from him. ‘Sometimes,’ he thought, ‘the boy can be gullible.’

Faramir stared at him harder. “I need a nap, I think that is what you are saying, Uncle. I will not fight it then. If you insist.”

“Not only will I insist, but your aunt also. Come, let us clean our hands and walk home. Unless you are too tired?”

Laughing Faramir wiped his hands on the cloth that covered the sand. Most of the sand ended up on his hands and he proceeded to wipe them on his leggings. “I do not like sand, particularly.”

Imrahil laughed. “Neither do I. Let us wash in the Sea and then walk home.”

The wash in the Sea turned into a splashing fight. By the time it ended, Faramir’s sides hurt from laughing and both were drenched. A guard stepped forward as they came back onto the shore and offered blankets. Imrahil draped one around Faramir’s shoulders, then did the same for himself. The Prince of Dol Amroth mounted his horse and the guard passed Faramir up to his waiting arms. Soon they were riding towards the palace.

“I remember one time,” Faramir turned slightly backwards to see his uncle’s face, “when we rode like this to find the Elves.”

Imrahil smiled. “I remember that time also. You were the only one who saw an Elf. I never asked: did he tell you his name?”

“Nay. I was too surprised to ask. He was only with me a short time. He told me he watched over Boromir and me.” The little chin began to quiver. “But he did not. Boromir is dead.”

Imrahil pulled the little body closer to his own. “Mayhap he only watches you here in Belfalas?”

“Oh! That would explain it. I often wondered, after Boromir died.”

“I am sure that is the explanation. I do not remember hearing tales of Elves being in other parts of Gondor. If the Elf had known Boromir would be at risk, I am sure he would have traveled to Minas Tirith and saved him.”

Faramir sniffled. “Mayhap, if we had sent a missive?”

“Would you have just left it on the ruins of Edhellond? I know not how you could have guaranteed the Elf would have found it.”

“Do you think I might see him again?”

“It is possible. If he still guards your back, and it sounds like he does, then I would expect to see him. Faramir, if he does come, I would most appreciate your calling me. I would like to meet an Elf myself.” Imrahil smiled warmly, hoping the talk of the Elf would take the lad’s mind from the sorrow of Boromir’s death. The feelings of loss and pain were still too bright for his own mind to handle; he wondered how his nephew ever survived the horror.

“Targon would like to see one, too. He is still sore that I saw an eagle up close and he did not.”

“I can imagine he would be doubly sore at missing seeing an Elf.” Imrahil laughed.

“He would offer cookies,” Faramir could hardly contain the laughter. “He thinks cookies are the answer for everything.”

“Perhaps they are. I will make sure he is given access to the kitchens. I like cookies myself.”

“His specialty is chocolate ones. They are really good.”

“Then I must ensure we have a supply of chocolate out and ready for him. This talk of cookies is making me hungry. Let us speed our return.” Imrahil clicked on the reins and the horse’s walk turned into a canter.

~*~

“Are there rumors from Tarnost or Calembel?”

“In what way, Captain Borondir?” Imrahil sat back and let the servants clear the table. Faramir and Targon had been sent to bed an hour ago.

“When we left those cities earlier this year, the revolt had been crushed. I lived in Tarnost for many years and the people are dear to my heart; however, they are weak and need strong leadership.”

“They have it,” Imrahil smiled, though it was slightly cool, in Borondir’s opinion. The captain waited for the prince to expound, but he kept silent.

“There were only retired soldiers of Gondor living there; none that I know of who could govern the people.”

“You forget yourself, Captain. Tarnost is one of my territories. Regent Indis asked me to watch over both cities, when I returned from Minas Tirith. I have placed governors in both who are loyal to me and to Gondor.”

“Any I know?”

“I think not. They are from Dol Amroth. Well respected. Knights and counselors.”

Borondir sat silent, slightly miffed at what appeared to him as a slight. Ragnhild said naught herself.

“I rule Belfalas at the Steward’s pleasure,” Imrahil started, slightly ashamed at the reaction he felt from the two Gondorians. “If Indis asks me to ‘guard’ those two cities, then I will do so. Borondir, I know Tarnost is dear to you. Mayhap you would visit there, whilst you are so near? I would have Ardamin, my governor for that city, bid you welcome and show you what improvements he has made. The region is quiet again, which I know you would also wish.”

“I swore I would not leave Faramir’s side. I gave a blood oath.”

“Ah. Then perhaps on your way back to Minas Tirith? You could take a land route, go by horse, and visit your old friends. I am sure Faramir would enjoy that. The lands about are peaceful; you would have no worries for his safety.”

“I think not, though your kindness is appreciated. The last time I deviated from the Lady Indis’ plans, caused Faramir to be lost for almost a week. I could not allow that to happen again.”

“No matter which road you take, Borondir, you would end up in Minas Tirith. Why not take the path of your heart? Besides, the Sea grows treacherous as winter approaches.”

“That is a thought; however, being so close to the mountains presents its own problems. Early snows can hamper travel. Though it seems too early to be discussing our way home, I deem the southern route, through Linhir, to be the best. And by horse. I do not think it wise to journey the Sea a month from now.”

“I will send two companies of my knights to escort you to Linhir. From there, you can command more men to accompany you back to Minas Tirith. The Anduin is the only thing that separates you from our enemies to the east.”

Nerdanel entered the hall and all stood. “Faramir is asleep at last. He bade me show him his mother’s rooms.” She took the seat Imrahil offered her. “It near broke my heart. The lad lay on her bed and wept. Elbereth, I know not why she was taken and now poor Denethor and Boromir.” Tears streamed down the princess’ face. Imrahil knelt at her feet and held her hands. “He is too young to have such burdens placed upon him. Even our love, Imrahil, is but a shadow to the loves he has lost. What can we do for him?” She sobbed and hid her face in his beloved hands.

Ragnhild and Borondir were at a loss at the depth of sorrow that overwhelmed the Lady of Dol Amroth.

“Ah, if you could have seen his face this forenoon, my dear heart, you would have rejoiced. We laughed and sang songs and wiped butter from our mouths.”

“It was brilliant of you to think of taking him for the bake on the seashore. Ever has he loved the Sea.” Her tears still fell, but the sobs had ceased. “He had always been your favorite; I am glad he was spared, if any needed to die.”

Imrahil motioned. Borondir looked at him in surprise, then begrudgingly left the Hall with Ragnhild by his side.

~*~

A/N – 1) The term ‘clambake’ seems to be an American event, yet clams are found all over the world. I decided it might be customary, for those living by the Sea, to have something akin to the New England clambake. Sorry if it bothers anyone. 2) The name Anardil means "Sun friend" in Quenya from Anar meaning "the Sun" and the ending -dil meaning "devotion." http://www.tuckborough.net/gondorians.html 3) Ardamin - Andunaic name - http://tolkiengateway.net/wiki/Tar-Ardamin.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List