Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

My Sword Trembles - Book Three - 'My Sword' Series  by Agape4Gondor

Chapter Thirty-Nine - Must We Repeat

Indis debated the wizard’s question for the next fortnight, but she could not answer it. In the meantime, she received numerous letters from Faramir. Each week his handwriting improved. It hurt to ‘see’ his growth on paper, knowing that his body and his mind, while he was away from her, grew also. The ache to watch him, cherish him, see the changes taking place in him, grew as the month passed. Imrahil had written begging her to let Faramir stay in Dol Amroth until Mettarë. She could not, would not be separated from him for so long a period. The wizard, her mouth curved into a smile, ‘the wizard that smelled’ as Faramir called him, had left Gondor’s borders. All the northern garrisons and outposts had been placed on full alert and instructed to watch carefully in case Curunír tried to slip back inside Gondor. Indis debated whether or not the orders would be effective; she had noted the ease with which the wizard could beguile his listeners. She could only hope her men were more strong-minded than the poor Rohirrim seemed to be.

At last, the day arrived. Faramir’s horn could be heard in the distance. ‘The boy must be by the Fifth Circle; his horn could not be heard further, his small lungs did not have the power, yet, to truly wind it.’ Indis ran to the Fountain and waited. A small figure darted from the mouth of the Citadel’s gate; a small voice cried her name. As she ran forward, all thoughts of decorum fled; she needed to hold him in her arms at all cost. Kneeling, she spread her arms wide and the little boy flew into them. She cried wildly and held him close.

“I missed you! I missed you so very much!” Faramir cried.

She held him, ran her fingers through his hair, caressed his back, and said with joy, “I have missed you too, meleth nîn.” She cupped his chin in her hand and looked at the tear-stained face. “You have grown!”

“Look at my muscles!” He held up a bended arm and offered it to her for inspection. She laughed and touched the upper arm, exclaiming, “How strong you have become!”

“Uncle gave me a sword. We practiced every day. He says I am quite good.” Faramir flung his arms around her neck. “I missed you.” A small sob escaped him.

“Come, my dearest, I have nuncheon ready for you. I want to hear all about your adventures. Everything. The whole afternoon is yours.”

She stood and blushed as she realized not only Borondir, but also the guards and many of Gondor’s lords, watched. Their smiles put her mind at ease. She waved; Faramir watched her and did the same as they walked towards the Tower.

~*~

Once Faramir finished his second helping of stew, he sat back, smiling. “That was good. They do not serve stew in Dol Amroth. They serve thick soups with funny vegetables in them, and a lot of different fish. Oh!” his eyes lit up, “We had bakes on the shore almost every week. I love crabs, Amma.”

“Did you help catch them?”

He puffed his chest out a little. “Uncle says I am the best crabber he ever saw. Oh!” his chest deflated. “Elladan says I must not boast.”

“Elladan?”

“You remember, Amma. Strider’s brother.”

“Of course. Though I deem it not boasting when a soldier is reporting to his Regent.”

“Oh!” the boy stood and ran to her side. “I love you!” Gratitude shone from his face.

She hugged him closely, then held him at arm’s length. “I think you are in need of a bath.”

He laughed. “Do I stink?”

“That you do, Faramir. Shall I have a bath drawn here or in your rooms?”

“My rooms. I am growed, you know. Uncle says so.”

“Then it must be so, for no Prince of Gondor would speak an untruth. You remember that, do you not Faramir; men of Gondor do not lie.”

The boy nodded. “Never lie. I remember, Amma.”

“Good.” She rang the bell. “Balan, please call Faramir’s guard and have him escorted to his rooms. And order a bath drawn for him.” The guard flashed a smile at Faramir, then saluted and left.

“Faramir, for the time being, I would have you escorted by a guard at all times, even here in the Citadel. Would you please obey this order?”

“Yes, Amma. Is there danger here?”

“Oh sweet child," she hugged him, “I think not. But I would have you protected until I am sure. I do not mean to frighten you.”

“I am not frightened,” the boy stood taller. “I will obey, Amma.” He returned the hug.

Balan knocked and entered. “Faramir’s guard, my Regent.” He saluted as he spoke, then turned to Faramir. “This is Valanestel. He will be your personal guard.” Valanestel saluted both Indis and Faramir. Faramir’s eyes shone.

“Thank you, Balan.”

The guard saluted and returned to his post outside Indis’ chambers.

Indis turned towards Faramir’s guard. “Valanestel, you have been promoted from Captain of the Rangers to personal guard for the Steward of Gondor due to your bravery and tenacity in helping to find him whilst he was lost in Ithilien. I hope this new posting sufficiently conveys Gondor’s gratitude.”

“I am not deserving of such a post, but will not fail you, my Regent,” he smiled and turned to Faramir, “nor you, my Steward.”

Faramir giggled. “I remember you. I add my thanks to my Regent’s.”

Turning her attention to Faramir, she embraced him once again. “Come back here after your nap, Faramir. We need to discuss Gondor’s state. It is time to resume your studies and your duties.”

The boy returned her embrace. "Yes, my Regent. But… Am I not too old for a nap?”

Laughing, she hugged him tighter. “You are too old for a nap; however, all wise soldiers rest when they can. One never knows when strength will be needed. After you bathe, I deem it wise to rest for a time.”

Faramir smiled. “I will be a good soldier, Amma, and rest, whilst I may.”  He stood taller and saluted.

She smiled as he turned and left, followed closely by Valanestel, then she sighed. ‘He has grown. At least two inches.’ Shaking her head to rid herself of the longing to have been with him this past month, she rang the bell and asked for Borondir and Ragnhild to be brought before her. Listöwel had already been sent for.

Listöwel was the first to enter the chambers. Her sun-tanned face shone with deep peace. After a welcome embrace and before she even sat, Borondir and Ragnhild were escorted into the room. Laughter and hugs abounded. A servant quickly served drinks and white cakes, some filled with flavored creams. Borondir launched into three, then smiled, embarrassed. “Forgive me.”

“Did you not have nuncheon before you joined us?”

“Nay. There was some confusion over a package Faramir brought back with him. I had to attend to it.”

“What is it?”

Borondir’s smile grew. “It is a surprise to be presented at the daymeal.”

Listöwel laughed at her friend’s furrowed brow. “Do not be concerned, Indis; it is not harmful.”

“Then I will trust your judgment.” She rang and ordered stew, bread and ale for Borondir, then sat at her desk. Eyebrows rose; everyone realized this was going to be a business meeting, not a coming together of friends.

Indis waited until they were seated, then drew forth a map. “I would hear a report of your time in Dol Amroth, but that can wait until this evening’s meal. There have been reports of renewed activity in South Ithilien, but this time, not the Enemy to our east. I would send someone I trust completely to ascertain the situation and report back to me.” She looked pointedly at Borondir. “One of the lords of Lebennin has moved troops to the eastern shore of the Anduin, directly across from Pelargir. I know not his intentions, but it seems fairly plain to me, though foolish. Húrin!” she rose in surprise. “You return so soon from Ethring?”

“As soon as I entered the City, I came here. You were correct, Indis. The treachery that assailed us just this past year is still rampant in northern Lebennin.”

“My friends,” Indis turned towards the others, “whilst you were in Dol Amroth, reports came to me of Dagnir’s youngest son, Haleth. The boy had been training in Ethring when his father, and brother, Minastir were arrested. As you all know, Dagnir was hanged as a traitor. Minastir spends the rest of his life in the dungeons here below the Citadel. I was too lenient. Haleth was young and, I thought, well away from the wiles of his father. I was wrong. It seems he is fomenting treason, as did his father.”

“What is wrong with those people?” Listöwel interrupted. “Is it the water they drink? They live in one of the richest and most fruitful parts of Gondor. Can they not be satisfied with such?”

“I believe it is a need for power for some, but for Dagnir’s son – mayhap it is revenge.”

“Or a life of waste and excess,” Borondir spat. “Perhaps they are bored brats.” He laughed dryly. “It is time these young ‘lords’ were conscripted into Gondor’s army. Mayhap the age of twenty is too old. Change conscription to seventeen; then they will have no time for boredom nor for hatching treason.”

“A good thought, Borondir, but in the meantime, we have a crisis before us. It is this same lord who sends troops to Ithilien. I wonder if he is foolish enough to think he can take that land for himself. His father’s lands were given to the people of Tarnost. The boy has naught. That land, however, belongs to the Crown. Whether or no the King returns, the land is his and under the protection of the Steward.”

Húrin sat heavily across from Indis. “So if they cannot take the Throne itself, they will take the land. I deem this only the first part of a scheme to put another on the Throne.”

“The Steward is beloved by all,” Ragnhild finally spoke. “None would dare another such attempt. To seize Gondor from Faramir.”

“Only fools and idiots,” Borondir murmured. “Dagnir and Ohtar had a large following in their cities. We quelled the rebellion; it seems we did naught to change hearts.”

Indis stood and walked to the window. “Your report, at the time, stated the men you left behind would ferret out the remaining followers of the traitors and deal with them.”

“Indis, they have been, but it has been less than a year. These things take time. The leaders were well known; they have been captured and imprisoned. However, with their treasonous rhetoric, they inflamed others to their ways, others not known to us. Haleth seems to have drawn them to him. I would rather go home to Tarnost and finish what Ragnhild and I started. I will work closely with Ardamin, Tarnost’s governor, and wipe their treachery from Gondor’s soil.”

“I believe that to be a sound plan. The men in Tarnost and Calembel respect you. I am sorry to send you off again, but Tarnost is your home. Mayhap it will be a pleasant assignment.” Indis smiled. “Borondir, keep me abreast of your progress. Gondor’s very safety lies in your hands.”

“I will leave on the morrow.”

“Thank you, Borondir. Now, I ask for names for who I might send to South Ithilien.”

They finally decided upon a merchant from Linhir who had been in the wrong place at the wrong time during the battle that took Boromir’s life. The man, Barach, had been walking across the Citadel, just having concluded a bargain with the Third Company’s cook, when he was impaled by one of Amandil’s thugs. The merchant lost only a couple of toes, but his loyalty was such that he threw himself upon the scoundrel and beat him soundly; then, he turned towards another of the rogues and beat him too, with only a cudgel that he used as a walking stick. All had been impressed by his courage, but the merchant refused any recompense or honor.

The man was sent for; market day was just past and he was still within the City itself. The Chamberlain knew where Barach stayed whilst in Minas Tirith and sent a guard to collect him. As the merchant stood before the formidable array of soldiers and high lords, he smiled. “So I am to be held accountable for what?”

Indis laughed and bid him sit. After he had his fill of stout ale, Indis told him of Gondor’s need; he stood and bowed. “For my Steward, anything. Is that enough, Regent Indis? When do I leave?”

Within an hour, all was planned and the merchant agreed to begin his assignment on the morrow.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List