Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search
swiss replica watches replica watches uk Replica Rolex DateJust Watches

While on the Quest  by Grey Wonderer

An idea of Shirebounds based on a photo of Sam from the films sitting in a boat and looking less than thrilled. I posted this to my Live Journal and my webpage so this is not really new. Still, if you haven't read it then it will be new to you!

GW 01/10/2008

Sam Gamgee, River Hobbit
(The result of a plot bunny from Shirebound on Live Journal)

Sam’s hands instinctively reached for something with which to steady himself. He could feel the boat rocking gently in the water as he grasped the sides of the craft. If it was moving about this much while it was still near the shore then how bad would it be once they were underway? Sam desperately wished that he hadn’t eaten so much breakfast. His stomach was rolling about almost as much as the Elvish boat! Everyone was probably watching him but he wasn’t about to look now. He had to compose himself. He had to manage a smile or at the very least, he had to keep from grimacing. He didn’t want Mr. Frodo and the others to think that he’d not be able to make it on the river.

‘Steady now, Sam. Don’t you make a fool of yourself in front of all of these fine, brave folks and don’t you do nothin’ to make this worse for Mr. Frodo. He can’t be worryin’ about you at a time like this. He has enough on his mind.’ Sam thought to himself as he tried to school his expression.

From the corner of his eye he caught sight of Mr. Merry looking intently at him. He suspected that Mr. Merry would think him a complete ninny hammer. Mr. Merry knew all about boats and such. All ‘o them Bucklanders did. Weren’t natural at all for hobbits but just now Sam wished he knew a bit more about boats. This was one time when being a bit queer like the Brandybucks were about such unnatural things as boats and water would be a help. Mr. Frodo would do well to go with Mr. Merry on this part ‘o the journey.

“That’s it, Sam,” Mr. Merry said encouragingly. “You’re doing splendidly. You’re a natural-born river hobbit I do believe.”

Sam looked up at Mr. Merry and tried to smile. It was nice ‘o Mr. Frodo’s cousin to be so encouragin’. He didn’t have to and Sam knew that he must look a fool but Mr. Merry was proper enough in his manners not to mention it.

“All right there, Sam?”

It was Strider’s voice and Sam found his own, shaky though it was and said, “It’s not so bad.” He hoped he sounded convincing but if his ears weren’t playin’ tricks on him then he sounded as nervous as a mouse in a barn full of hungry cats.

“I knew he’d be fine,” Frodo said and Sam could see that Mr. Frodo smiling.

“He looks a bit pale to me,” Pippin objected. Then Sam saw Mr. Merry nudge Mr. Pippin hard in the back and Mr. Pippin nearly fell over. “Ouch! Steady on, Merry,” Pippin complained and Sam lowered his head to hide his smile. Mr. Pippin had the right of it all and he’d not hesitated to say so but it was good ‘o the others to pretend. Mr. Pippin didn’t mean no harm. Sam knew that. Mr. Pippin just never bothered about thinking ahead before speakin’ his mind and Mr. Pippin always seemed to have a lot on his mind.

Sam heard whispers, most likely Mr. Merry scolding Mr. Pippin. He heard Mr. Pippin say, “I can’t be the only that noticed it.” There were more whispers and then Mr. Pippin said, “Oh! Well, why didn’t someone tell me?” This was followed by a few groans.

“You should have a boat of your own when we get back to the Shire, Sam. You’d be a fine river hobbit,” Pippin said too cheerfully. “I don’t think it would matter at all that you don’t swim because almost no one ever falls out of boats anyway.” There were more groans and then Pippin winced. “That’s my foot, Meriadoc.”

“I’m getting in with Sam,” Frodo said pleasantly over the noise that Mr. Merry and Mr. Pippin were now making with their fussing. “Now that you have the boat steady, Sam, I think I’m ready to begin our journey.”

“I will go with Frodo and Sam,” Strider said. This relieved Sam more than he’d ever be able to say. Mr. Strider knew what he was about and he’d look out for things. Mr. Frodo would be safe with Mr. Strider. “Legolas, you and Gimli will follow in the second boat and Boromir, you take Merry and Pippin.”

“Both of them?” Boromir said sounding less than pleased with his lot and Sam heard Mr. Frodo chuckle as he climbed into the boat. Mr. Frodo settled himself in the seat at the front of the boat as easily as you please without rocking it at all. He winked at Sam when Mr. Boromir spoke and Sam could see that Mr. Frodo was amused.

Mr. Strider didn’t reply to Mr. Boromir at all. He just began putting the rucksacks and a few supplies into the boat without a word. Sam could hear Mr. Boromir grumbling about it all but he couldn't make out no words.

“Merry knows how to row,” Sam heard Mr. Pippin offer. “And I’ll be quiet. You won’t even know I’m in the boat. I’ve been in boats before while in Buckland. Merry and I fish on the Brandywine when I visit. The Brandywine isn’t as large or as rough looking as this great river of course but it can tip you in if you aren’t careful and-“

Sam paled at Mr. Pippin’s casual words and he must have made some sort of sound because Mr. Frodo said loudly, “You’d be wise to practice being quiet starting right now, Peregrin Took.”

Mr. Strider was chuckling and this made Sam smile. The big man had a very nice laugh when you got to hear it. He supposed that Mr. Boromir would be havin’ a long ride down the river. He didn’t look too happy. Sam glanced over at him steadying the boat for Mr. Merry and Mr. Pippin so that they could climb in and saw that Mr. Boromir was frowning and shaking his head.

“What did I say now, Merry?” Sam heard Mr. Pippin whisper rather loudly. The lad sounded as if he really didn't know.

“Too much as always,” Mr. Merry said shortly. “Now, get in the boat and close your mouth or I’ll suggest that Boromir use you as an anchor.”

Sam exchanged grins with Mr. Frodo who was lookin’ almost jolly at the moment. It was funny how Mr. Pippin’s actions often set Mr. Frodo in a better mood even if the lad was makin’ a complete muddle of things. They both knew that Mr. Merry wouldn’t harm a single hair on Mr. Pippin’s head but Sam suspected that there must be times when Mr. Merry was sorely tempted. Sam was so busy sharing a laugh with Mr. Frodo that later he couldn’t recall the little boat leaving the shore. As Sam’s old Gaffer always said there’s nothin’ like a good laugh to chase off your worries.

The End

GW 12/10/2007





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List