Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Bombur's Diet  by Primsong

2. Lunch


Bombur waddled over to the luncheon table and after briefly greeting his cousins who had been talking while they awaited him, he slowly seated himself in his favorite chair.

"Pass me that teapot," he said. Bofur reached over and moved the cozy-covered pot closer to him.

"You've always had ale with lunch," he commented. "Taking on hobbit tastes?"

"No, no," Bombur chuckled. "It's not the tea I want."

Bifur and Bofur watched curiously as he plucked the cozy off of the pot then rotated slightly to one side to drop the warm cover down towards his feet.

Bofur raised a brow. "Why are you doing that?"

"My feet are cold."

Bifur leaned over and took a brief look beneath the table. "So put on some boots. In iron's name, why are you barefoot?"

"What's wrong with being barefoot?" Bilbo asked. He'd just entered himself and was climbing up on his cushioned seat. He'd found Bombur's appetites to bring a more regular appearance of good food than any of the other Companions and had taken up the habit of eating along with him when he could. Plus, being of a more amiable nature than some of them, he was always willing to share.

"I couldn't find my boots," Bombur said. "And then when I did finally find them it was almost lunch time and it would have taken far too long to find my feet."

"To find your feet?" Bifur and Bilbo echoed at the same time. Bifur said it in disbelief, Bilbo in amused sympathy.

"I knew a hobbit like that," he said, unfolding a napkin for his lap. "Though he never needed boots, of course. His daughter had to comb out his foothair for him, and when she took to doing it up with ribbons and bows he never even knew the difference."

Bofur shook his head. "One of these days…"

"What? Someone will decorate me with ribbons?" Bombur said, scooping a helping of steaming sausage-and-cheese from a dish.

"No, you'll end up so fat you won't be able to fit your boots or anything at all." Bofur grumbled lightly.

Bombur roared with laughter at this one. "I hate to think what an appearance that would make at the table," he finally chortled. "Nothing at all! Hahaha!"

"I didn't mean…." Bofur looked at his brother helplessly.

"Ghastly thought," laughed Bifur, who nonetheless tried to offer support. "Pass that this way, will you, if there's any left. What will you do if you outgrow everything?"

"Grow my beard out longer," Bombur said, still jiggling with amusement. "Haw! It would be warm anyway."

Several moments passed in silence as each turned their attention to their own meal. Bifur and Bofur finished up their sausages and each had a bit of bread and soup then pushed back their chairs, well filled.

Bilbo neatly cut up his second helping of the sausages and waved a slice around on his knife-tip to cool it. He still had one more round to go before he would feel up to the hours that remained before supper, though he didn't hold a candle to Bombur's capacity.

"What does the day hold for you, Mr. Baggins?" Bofur inquired politely. "More writing?"

"I was hoping to get some translating done," Bilbo said. "Not of anything important, mind you, just a bit of verse…"

He was interrupted by a loud ripping sound.

They all turned to find Bombur turning an odd shade of red. "I… um," he offered by way of explanation. He had apparently been reaching for the bread-basket and something had given way. No one wanted details.

Bofur opened his mouth and then shut it. He opened it again and took a breath.

"I know, I know," Bombur interjected. "I know. I'll go get some new… well, never mind." He began hoisting himself up from the table but then sat back down. He made another attempt only to sink back again.

"Are you stuck?" asked Bifur in a disbelief.

Bombur didn't reply, but his face was turning redder. He tried hoisting himself up again, squirming from side to side until he quite suddenly stood up with his chair falling back to the floor with a thump.

Bilbo sat with his sausage still in the air. He met Bombur's eyes, raising his brows significantly.

"Well," Bombur mumbled. "Perhaps I do need to miss a bite or two, just a little…I'm willing to try…"


-





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List