Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

The Findaráto Diaries  by Fiondil

10: A New Friend

The encounter with Lord Aulë at his forge was a turning point for me, though I did not realize it at the time. Yet, from that moment on there were definite changes in my life, mostly for the better. One such change was my new counselor....

****

Finrod woke to someone shaking him. He stared up blearily at two Elves, an ellon with the silvery hair of the Teleri and an elleth whose dark locks pronounced her as one of the Noldor. Both of them were staring at him with consternation. He was unsure where he was for a moment. He could see he wasn’t in his pavilion and it took him several seconds to remember the night before. He sat up so quickly the two Elves stepped back.

"Wh-what happened to the smithy?" he asked in shock, for looking around he did not see the expected forge, but a room that was obviously used to store tack. There were headstalls and blankets and other gear associated with stables but no forge or anvil or anything remotely looking as if it belonged to a smithy.

"What smithy?" the elleth, asked, clearly perplexed. "What are you doing sleeping here, anyway?"

"The smithy," Finrod insisted, ignoring the second question. "It was here."

"There is no smithy," the ellon said in a reasonable tone. "Leastwise, not here."

"But... it was here." Finrod took a look at the room again. Its dimensions were right but there was now a wall where before it was open to the outside. He began to feel afraid, unsure what was happening, wondering if he had only imagined the previous night’s events. He noticed that his tunics were folded neatly on a nearby barrel and lying on top of them was a horseshoe. Finrod slowly stood up and went to it, picking it up. He turned to the two Elves. "I made this," he said in a whisper. "Last night with... with Lord Aulë...."

"Lord Aulë!" the elleth exclaimed and the looks of concern now mutated into expressions of wonder. She turned to her companion. "Go find one of the Maiar."

The ellon nodded and left. Finrod stood there staring at the horseshoe, not paying much attention, his expression one of confusion. The elleth put a hand on his arm and he looked up. "Why don’t you get dressed?" she said solicitously. "There’s a well outside where you can wash up and the privy is around the corner."

Finrod nodded and, putting the horseshoe down, he started dressing. Then, the elleth, who introduced herself as Calálcarë, took him outside and by the time he finished with his ablutions the ellon had returned with a Maia wearing the rainbow insignia of Lord Irmo.

"Ah, Prince Findaráto," the Maia said with a smile, "we’ve been looking for you. I am Cucuandor of the People of Irmo." He gave him a slight bow.

Finrod noticed the startled expressions on the faces of the two Elves, but ignored them, focusing on the Maia. "Looking for me?"

Cucuandor nodded. "You disappeared yesterday afternoon. Not even Lord Irmo could sense your presence."

"I... I was here all the time," Finrod said, feeling shaky. "I came inside the stable and someone called out to me and I came in here and there was a forge. There was an ellon, a Noldo. He said his name was... was Malantur."

Cucuandor’s eyebrows went up at that. "Nendilion says you mentioned Lord Aulë." The Maia nodded towards the Teler.

Finrod swallowed nervously. "He... I mean Malantur... he was Lord Aulë all along."

For a long moment there was silence and then Cucuandor motioned for Finrod to follow him. "Let us go see Lord Irmo. He will be able to explain better than I."

Finrod turned to the other two Elves, giving them a sheepish smile. "I’m sorry, I don’t...."

Nendilion waved a hand in dismissal, giving him a sympathetic smile. "Do not concern yourself, Prince Findaráto. We’re rather used to you Reborn doing odd things."

Finrod wasn’t sure how to take that statement so he ignored it. "I would like to come back sometime and do some riding," he said instead, "but Lord Aulë said I had to ask permission and earn the right to ride by making horseshoes."

"I’m sure we can work something out," Calálcarë replied with a nod.

Cucuandor then ushered Finrod out of the stables, the ellon still clutching the horseshoe. It was the only tangible piece of evidence that he had not dreamt the entire episode. He still did not know what really happened or how, but he was confident that Lord Irmo would be able to tell him and set his mind at ease. He and Cucuandor made their way along a sward until they came to the lake where a pavilion was set up. Inside, seated at a small round table, was not only Lord Irmo but Lord Aulë. Finrod’s steps slowed and he nearly bolted in the opposite direction, but Cucuandor took him by the elbow and gently led him into the pavilion, giving the Valar a respectful bow, which Finrod belatedly copied. Both Valar smiled at him.

"Come sit down," Irmo said and Finrod complied. Cucuandor gave them another bow and left. Irmo poured some juice into a goblet and gestured for Finrod to take it. It was hawthorn juice and Finrod relished the taste that was almost like strawberries but not quite.

"I see you brought the horseshoe," Aulë said, nodding in satisfaction.

"Wh-what happened... last night..." Finrod stammered. "I mean... the forge... it’s not there anymore!"

Both Valar laughed at the confused look Finrod gave them. "Oh, it’s there all right," Aulë said with a wink. "Just not where you think."

"I don’t understand."

"And there is no reason why you should," Irmo replied. "My brother stole you away without consulting me." He gave Aulë a glare that didn’t quite seem convincing to Finrod and Aulë merely grinned, looking decidedly unrepentant.

"Without boring you with the details," the Smith of Arda said, "I shifted reality around a bit so that you walked from the stables to my forge in Valmar. Irmo consulted me earlier about possibly taking over some of your lessons. I understand you’re not too enthusiastic about painting." He gave Finrod a knowing look and the ellon blushed.

"It’s not that," he tried to explain, "it’s just...." he gave them a helpless shrug, unable to articulate even to himself how he felt about it all.

Both Valar nodded in understanding. "Well, it seems Aulë has decided to take you on," Irmo said, "so I will leave him to decide what you should learn."

"Horseshoes, not swords," Finrod said quietly, staring down at the horseshoe that he held in his lap.

Neither Vala commented though they exchanged pleased smiles which Finrod did not see. Then Irmo continued. "You are probably hungry. Go back to your pavilion and I will have someone bring you your breakfast. You’ll also meet your new counselor today."

Finrod grimaced slightly. "I don’t know why I need someone asking me inane questions about how I feel or what I remember."

"No, you don’t," Irmo replied, "but I think you could use a friend and I hope Eärnur will be that for you."

"In the meantime," Aulë said, looking more solemn, "continue with your other lessons. I will arrange for some of my People to come and tutor you and I think my lady Yavanna will also take a hand in your education."

Finrod couldn’t help cringing slightly at the memory of the destruction he’d caused. "She still hasn’t punished me for what I did," he said softly.

"And she won’t," Aulë said gently. "You’re doing a fine job of it all on your own. Time to put aside the guilt, child. It serves no purpose. You made a mistake and you rectified it. That’s all that matters. Now you must learn to let it go and move forward."

"Go now," Irmo said. "We’ll talk in a few days and see how things are going for you."

Finrod rose and gave the Valar his obeisance, then strode away down the sward towards the grove where he resided.

****

He reached his pavilion to find Brethorn and Saelmir there. Obvious looks of relief spread across their faces at the sight of him. Saelmir leaped up from where he was sitting at the table and actually gave Finrod a hug. "We were worried about you," he said, speaking Sindarin. "What happened to you?"

Finrod sat down and sighed. "I’m not entirely sure," he said in the same language. "All I can tell you is that Lord Aulë came to me and took me to Valmar. We made a horseshoe together." He lifted the horseshoe up for their inspection. "He has agreed to teach me how to make horseshoes and such."

"Swords would be better," Brethorn said and Saelmir nodded.

Finrod smiled. "So I told him, but he said horseshoes were more practical. Besides, he told me that I wouldn’t be permitted to ride any horses until I learned to shoe them." He gave them a shrug and laughed at the identical looks of interest in his friends’ eyes at the mention of horses. "You’ll have to ask permission, but I’m sure they’ll let you ride," he said.

Just then they noticed someone standing at the entrance, tray in hand. It was an ellon with the silvery locks of the Teleri. He was wearing a surcoat over his tunic that was a plain blue which they knew meant that he was an apprentice Lóriennildo. "May I enter?" the ellon asked politely.

"Please," Finrod said, switching to Quenya.

The ellon came in and placed the tray on the table. There was a basket of bread and cheese and a bowl of fruit as well as some hawthorn juice. There were also crocks of butter and strawberry jam. "Lord Irmo said you had not yet broken your fast," the Teler said.

"Thank you," Finrod replied and gave the others an apologetic look as he took some bread and began slathering butter and jam on it.

"That is all right, Finrod," Brethorn said. "Saelmir and I have to be going anyway. Enjoy your breakfast." The two ellyn rose and left the pavilion, leaving Finrod alone with the Teler who looked in no hurry to leave.

Finrod gave him a quizzical look. "Was there anything else?" he asked.

The ellon nodded. "My name is Eärnur," he said. Finrod’s eyes widened, recognizing the name. "Lord Irmo has assigned me to be your primary counselor. I understand you didn’t get along with your last one." He raised an amused eyebrow and Finrod found himself flushing.

"To say the least," he replied, then gestured for Eärnur to take a seat. "I am surprised that Lord Irmo sent an apprentice. I thought only journeymen Lóriennildi acted as counselors."

Eärnur nodded, giving him a sheepish look. "So did I. It will be many years before I achieve journeyman status. When Master Meneldil told me to report to Lord Irmo, I thought for sure I was going to be released from my apprenticeship and wondered what I had done wrong to warrant dismissal. I was never so surprised when Lord Irmo told me that he wanted me to act as your chief counselor."

"And what exactly did he tell you?" Finrod asked with a frown. "I should warn you that I am finished with all this nonsense of talking about my former life or what I’m feeling at the moment. Whatever Lord Irmo says to the contrary, it’s no one’s business but my own."

"Lord Irmo did mention your... er... reluctance to follow procedure," the Teler said with a sly grin and Finrod couldn’t help but laugh.

"I know I’m being unreasonable...."

"No, Findaráto," Eärnur said, "I quite understand. As part of my apprenticeship I had to undergo a similar situation as you and the other Reborn experience, baring myself before another. All part of the training we undergo, you understand. It’s an uncomfortable position to be in. All I will say is, if at any time you feel the need to talk about things, I’m here to listen."

Finrod nodded, pleased when Eärnur did not address him as ‘prince’. He wondered if Lord Irmo had warned him against doing so, but decided it didn’t matter. "So as my counselor what will you do?"

"Try to keep you out of trouble, and if I can’t, try to minimize the damage," Eärnur deadpanned.

Finrod raised an eyebrow. "Was that a challenge I heard?"

Eärnur merely smiled. Finrod smiled back. He had a feeling he and Eärnur would get along just fine.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List