Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Brother, where art thou?  by Laikwalâssê

Brother, where art thou?

Author’s note:

Many thanks to Erulisse and to Selene Aduial for beta reading this story for me. 

Chapter 12:

A new beginning

Elladan panted heavily, as he hobbled down the main stairs toward the garden in search of his brother.

He disliked using the crutches, movement with them was not easy and was, most of all, tiring. His father, however, had made very clear to him that he should put as little weight as possible on his still healing legs, especially on the left one. This morning he had used the crutches for the first time, to join his family at the breakfast table.

Elladan was very grateful not to be confined to bed any longer and enjoyed the gathering. But despite the relaxed atmosphere, everyone was still trying to come to terms with what had happened.

When Elladan had looked into his brother’s eyes that morning, he had had known that Elrohir was trying to hide something from him and the others. He knew that his brother had been struggling with himself, trying to not let anyone know that something was amiss. But his twin was not so easily fooled.

Elrohir was too chatty and his smile never reached his eyes. When he excused himself to leave the room Elladan went searching for him shortly afterwards, deeming that now was the right time to find out what haunted his brother.

He knew where to find his brother. The same spot, where he always went when troubled - the stables.

He stopped along the way to flex his aching shoulder muscles. His legs didn’t hurt as much as his upper body did now.

After he had resumed his journey and had finally reached the stables, he instantly spotted his brother sitting on a bale of hay. Elrohir was absentmindedly stroking a cat that was purring contentedly in his lap. His heart went out to his brother when he saw the hunched shoulders and the tears that threatened to spill any moment.

He lowered himself next to his brother on the bale and sighed. “Will you not tell me what troubles you, little brother?” he asked quietly.

For a short time Elladan thought that his brother would open up, but then he pretended to be surprised. “What do you mean? I’m fine.” he replied somewhat coolly.

Elladan sighed again. “Don’t think me a fool, Elrohir. What is it?” He grabbed his brother’s chin and gently forced him to hold eye contact.

This was the undoing of the younger twin. His barrier of self control crumbled and tears rolled down his face. Elladan paled. What in the name of the Valar was it? He quickly embraced his distressed brother and simply held him tight.

Before he could say anything soothing, Elrohir took a shuddering breath. “I’m sorry, Elladan. I failed you,” he sobbed.

Now it was Elladan who looked surprised. When had he failed him? Not really knowing what to say, Elladan tightened his hold on the shaking frame.

“You did not fail me; you never will.” He tried to sound reassuring, but Elrohir shook his head.

“Yes, I did. I stopped searching for you. I stopped hoping and I nearly dragged Ada and you with me into the abyss through my grief.” Elrohir´s words were now no more than wracked sobs.

Elladan loosened his hold and looked directly at his brothers red-rimmed eyes.

“Elrohir, stop this. You never failed me. Were our positions reversed, I would have reacted as you did. It was understandable. But what matters now is that we are safe and well. Please, let us forget this dreadful episode and let us look into the future. The day is much too beautiful to waste it with gloomy thoughts”.

Elrohir nodded slowly and wiped at his tears with his sleeve. “Don’t ever leave me alone again, Elladan. I love you. I cannot live without you.”

Elladan smiled. “I feel the same. Don’t worry; you cannot get rid of me that easily.” Elladan extended his hand and hoisted Elrohir to his feet, earning a displeased screech from the cat.

When the twins had left the stable, another heartfelt sigh could be heard. Elrond had followed Elladan surreptitiously, and he was glad that his sons had managed to work out their feelings over the recent events. Now the true healing could begin.

 

………………………………………………..

Isiwen looked up from her work in her little garden, when she heard hoof beats coming closer. She rose and looked toward the riders coming up the path leading toward the hut. Her eyes lit with joy, when she recognized the first visitor, already dismounting at the fence. Apart from the three dark-haired elves she saw that two big wagons had stopped before her little hut.

She quickly wiped the earth from her hands and then she found herself in Elladan´s arms. He whirled her easily around and kissed her cheek lightly.

“Elladan,” she cried, “I’m so glad to see you again, let me look at you, lad”.

She held the much taller elf at arm’s length and looked him up and down critically. “You are still too thin for my liking and a bit pale, but otherwise acceptable.”

Elladan laughed and looked amused at the woman who saved his life. After her welcome, he waved at Maren just emerging from the house.

“I’m also glad to see you up and hale”, he said, embracing the elf as well when he had reached them. Elladan nodded at the two elves now standing behind him and grinned when Isiwen´s eyes grew wide.

“This is my brother, Elrohir. I have brought him here to show you he is not a figment of my imagination. And my father you know already.”

Isiwen stepped toward Elrohir and looked at him in awe. She could not detect any sign that distinguished him from his brother.

“Well…anyway,” she sighed, embracing the younger twin too. “I’m glad to meet you at last. And I never thought you were a figment of Elladan’s imagination.

Elrohir inclined his head. “My Lady, the pleasure is mine to meet the two people who rescued my brother. I’ve heard so much of you.”

Isiwen blushed. “Enough”, she declared and smiled. Then she greeted the Elf-Lord. “Welcome again, my Lord.”

Still smiling Elrond inclined his head.

Maren made an all inviting gesture. “Please, come inside, we’ve just made tea and Isiwen makes the best honey cakes this side of the mountains.”

Elrond looked into his sons pleading eyes, he surrendered and smiled.

“Very well, but first I would like to show you something,” he said and gestured at the two heavily laden wagons, the elves had brought with them. Isiwen and Maren looked at each other and followed the Elf-Lord.

Reaching the wagons the Elf-Lord turned and looked solemnly at the human couple. “Isiwen, Maren, with the loads of these two wagons, I want to thank you for your help in rescuing my son. Please accept these gifts and if you ever need anything, you have but to ask.”

Isiwen and Maren stared speechless at the wagons, as Elrohir unfolded the tarps covering them. They saw building lumber, saplings, plants, earth, seeds, clothing, shoes and many other items they needed urgently for the oncoming winter.

With tears in her eyes Isiwen looked at the Elf-Lord. “My Lord, I don’t know what to say, but this was not necessary. Our help was given without thought for reward.”

Elrond nodded. “Yes, and that is exactly the reason why we brought this. I will always be in your debt.”

Maren swallowed. “Thank you. We gladly accept this, because we are in dire need. I will unload quickly, so that you can be on your way soon.”

When Maren started to help Elrohir unload, Elrond raised his hand. “Don’t hurry the wagons and horses are included.”

Now Maren was struck speechless. Isiwen simply embraced the Elf-Lord, not able to say anything either.

Three hours and many honey cakes later the three elves mounted their horses and said their farewells.

“Please visit us, after the winter. You will always be welcome at Rivendell,” Elladan said after he had mounted.

“We will come, we promise,” Isiwen answered. They stood side by side, until the elves were out of sight.

 

--------------------------

At approximately the same time, two Elf-Lords entered the town of Adlen. Glorfindel and Erestor were not intimidated by the hostile atmosphere of this little town. With regal bearing and with their heads held high they rode through the streets, their faces a perfect mask not showing their feelings.

During their swift ride here, Glorfindel had told Erestor all about what had happened to Elladan and what the traitorous mayor had done with the supplies regularly sent here.

Erestor had only inhaled sharply and agreed to accompany the Balrog-slayer. With the twins still too weak to travel; and hardly recovered enough to face this confrontation, Elrond was grateful that his advisors had volunteered to settle matters and deal out justice in a way that had not yet been decided.

When the two elves dismounted at the courtyard, a young man ran toward them waving. “Lord Glorfindel,” he called. “I’m Baran, son of Alan, the old man you met at your first visit. Remember?”

Inclining his head Glorfindel nodded. “Yes, I remember your father. I would very much like to speak with him.”

When the lad swallowed and lowered his eyes Glorfindel momentarily closed his eyes. After the encounter with Elrohir the warrior had dreaded that something would happen to the old man. The golden-haired elf laid a comforting hand on the young man’s shoulder.

“What happened, Baran?” he asked, trying to keep his tone neutral, yet he already guessed the answer.

“He’s dead,” the young man whispered, now fighting with his tears. “They killed him after you left. We are all so afraid. Are you here to help us?” the boy asked hopefully.

Glorfindel and Erestor exchanged a quick glance. This was not the way they had intended to interfere here. How deeply could they get involved in the business of these people?

Aware that the young man was still waiting for an answer, Glorfindel squeezed the youngster’s shoulder reassuringly. “We will see,” he said evasively with a side-glance at his companion.

Knowing that this was not what the boy had wanted to hear judging by the disappointed expression on his face; Glorfindel turned abruptly and strode toward the entrance of the main-hall. Erestor was right behind him.

When he had mounted the steps and almost reached the entrance; he unsheathed his sword, making his intentions clear to the two guards standing there guarding the door. The two exchanged a quick look and opened the heavy wooden door to let the elves pass.

Erestor and Glorfindel hurried down the long corridor their cloaks billowing behind them; their elven glow illuminating the dimly lit hallway. When they had reached their destination they heard a cry of pain from inside the mayor’s office. They stopped only briefly and then forcefully pushed the double door open, swords drawn.

Glorfindel froze momentarily when he saw Harad, the mayor’s son beating a young man, already lying on the floor bleeding. The Mayer stood there with crossed arms; seemingly enjoying the cruel display. All his self restraint snapped when Glorfindel imagined this could have been Elladan. He stepped forward and shoved the sturdy man away from the helpless victim on the floor. With a thud the man impacted with the wall.

Before Harad could recover, Glorfindel moved quickly and placed the tip of his sword on the man’s throat. “I wouldn’t move, if I were you,” he said calmly.

Erestor had made quick work of the mayor and pinned him on the wall next to his son in the same fashion.

Before however the two elves could decide how to go on; chaos erupted around them. Through a side door stormed a mob of men, all eager to lay their hands on the ones who had terrorized their town. At the other side of the room there appeared a group of guards, coming to the mayor’s aid.

Glorfindel gave his captive over to Erestor for safekeeping. He knew his friend could easily handle the two of them. Glorfindel engaged the oncoming guards who were no match for the trained warrior. At the same time he prevented the townspeople from getting to the two captives.

Glorfindel´s head jerked up when another door banged open and a loud yell could be heard.

“Stop this madness immediately!” a middle-aged man demanded.

The fighting stopped and all faces were drawn to the newcomer. Glorfindel and Erestor saw more men coming into the room, this time they were armed.

“Drop your weapons.” The man told the surprised guards and they complied seeing that they were clearly outnumbered. Some of the newcomers took the guards away and others turned toward the elves and their captives.

The leader of the resistance came toward the elves and bowed respectfully.

“My name is Calen,” the leader stated. “From now on the mayor and his son are no longer in charge of this town. I’ve heard what they did to one of your people and I’m sorry. They will be judged and sentenced according to our laws. The punishment will be appropriate for the crimes they committed.”

Glorfindel nodded to the man. “We are glad to hear this. Are you the one that the people will look to in the future, Calen?”

“The people must decide that, but if they agree with me, then yes. I will make right, what these two have wronged.”

Seeing the authority of the newcomer, how he handled the situation, and the men loyal to him, Glorfindel and Erestor relaxed and re-sheathed their swords. They allowed the new guards to take away the mayor and his son.

“I think our mission here is finished then. I hope we can come to a new agreement in our relations soon.” Erestor said.

Calen shifted his gaze from Glorfindel to Erestor, not knowing whom he should address.

“This I hope too. I will send a messenger once the circumstances here are settled.”

“Good,” Glorfindel said. “We will be on our way and wish you well. May the Valar look kindly upon this town.”

Calen bowed too. “Thank you for your generosity, we wish you a safe journey home.”

After leaving the town the two elves had not spared a glance back, and returning swiftly back the way they had come, they reached Rivendell before nightfall. Everything was finally back to normal. They both hoped it would stay that way.

The end

Many thanks to all of you for reading and reviewing. Lai





<< Back

        

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List