Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Shadows of the Past  by Laikwalâssê

Shadows of the past

Disclaimer:  see chapter 1

Author’s note:

For all who want to know how Elrond arrived at Imladris. 

Chapter 20:  epilogue 2

 

The Lady of Imladris sat on the edge of the bed occupied by her little sons, her head bowed in utter despair. She could hardly bear to hear the rattling sound coming from the elflings every time they tried to take another painful breath.

A few hours earlier, the healers had laid the weak children side by side on the large bed and left the room with a downcast gaze. They could do no more for them. They had left the children to die in peace with only the comfort of their mother.

The illness had finally reached its final stage. The mucus had permeated the lungs of the children, making it more and more difficult, every passing minute, for the infected twins to draw another breath. Celebrían knew all too well that the end had come.

She had mourned the death of a child with its parents four times over the last weeks. It seemed as if nothing could be done or changed to alter the always terrible outcome. The unmodified antidote had failed to improve the children’s condition as much as expected and the only medicine that could help was hundreds of miles away. The only person who could alter the antidote into an effective one was equally not available.

Fate had turned against the inhabitants of the sheltered valley and the despair that had settled over the beautiful vale could almost be grasped. It was small comfort to the Lady of this house that her husband had rescued many children far away in the realm of the wood elves.

She made a conscious effort to swallow her rising anger directed towards those fortunate Elves that her husband was with, knowing that each life that could be rescued was precious. But in the face of death, especially death threatening her own children, she could hardly remain fair and just.

When Elrohir tried again to take in another breath and succeeded only marginally his little hand reached out and searched frantically for his brother’s.

Celebrían let out a strangled sob. She felt that she was doomed to see her children struggle and die and to be unable to help or even to lighten their pain. Her sons did not even recognize her. Their systems had closed out the outside world, only fighting until the call of Mandos would release them from their misery. Although of course she wished otherwise, she hoped that the call would come soon to relieve her babies.

For many days she had hoped and prayed that her husband would return in time but now she was forced to accept the horrible truth. When she had written the letter that the plague had reached Rivendell it was already too late. Even if Elrond had departed immediately he would need at least four weeks under the best of circumstances to reach the valley. Too much time would be lost by then to give any effective aid.

She carefully guarded her emotions. She had once reached out through their bond in despair; she would not do so again. Why should she burden him with facts he already knew? Facts he could not change? He would be devastated anyway if he was not able to arrive in time.

Her head jerked up when she heard no more sounds from her children. She sprung up with a startled cry and quickly leaned over them to check if they still breathed. As much as she wished for them to be released from their pain, her whole being prayed that it would not be the case; not now, not ever. Please, only a few minutes more...

She let out a sigh when she detected that their little chests still heaved shallow breaths, but without enough vigour to sustain them much longer. They lay there with their fingers entwined, their eyes closed, and their faces relaxed; a nearly peaceful sight.

With no tears left, Celebrían sat back down memorizing every detail of the dear faces before her; the little scar under Elladan´s nose acquired after a fall from a tree, and the little oval brown patch on Elrohir´s brow. They were little differences that anyone could easily overlook.

When the rattling sound of her children’s lungs had ceased she became aware how quiet the house had fallen. Everyone, elf or beast, held their breath while mourning the children’s passing. How she wished Elrond were here right now. Yet she dreaded the moment he would arrive here and was forced to face the horrible truth. She did not know what would happen then. Maybe they would have neither the strength nor the will to remain in this world any longer.

The twins were their joy, their reason to still celebrate life on Arda, and the fulfilment of their love; but without them everything would be unbearable. There would be no reason to stay any longer in Middle Earth.

The other affected families in Imladris had ceased asking for help after seeing that no help could be obtained. Celebrían did not know how the other children fared, nor had she the strength to ask about them, fearing that the drama would be the same as in her own home.

Her frame shaking she rounded the bed. Maybe she should lie down and join her children in passing to a peaceful place? To let them know that she was there, that they were not alone. Perhaps she should let go of all the sorrow and join them?

Just as she reached the opposite side of the bed she heard voices through the open window from the courtyard below. This was nothing unusual at other times, but now the voices sounded much too loud and agitated in the unnatural silence which lay over the valley.

Contemplating simply closing the window and shutting out the outside world she walked over and looked detached through watery eyes down into the courtyard. Her attention was quickly drawn back however when she beheld a most uncommon sight. Many inhabitants of the Last Homely House were standing in the middle of the great place pointing into the sky and uttering words of surprise and awe. Having no idea what had pulled so many elves outside all of a sudden, the Lady of Imladris also directed her gaze upward.

When her brain had registered what her eyes were telling her she staggered back with a cry of shock and would have fallen if not for the strong arms behind her catching and steadying her in time. Although irritated and grateful at the same time for the unexpected help she could not tear her gaze from the spectacle she was witnessing.

“I cannot believe it!” the voice behind her whispered and she could only agree with her husband’s dark haired advisor. Descending down in the courtyard before her very eyes was her husband on the back of a giant Eagle!

Stunned speechless she could only stare, her misery forgotten for just a moment. The miracle she had silently hoped for had happened. Elrond had returned to Imladris.

Her knees still weak, she watched while the Master of the Valley dismounted from the great bird’s back and after a short interchange hurried into the house. After the initial spark of joy the fear was back in her heart again. Would Elrond really be in time?

Her heart beating furiously, Celebrían turned away from the window and hurried over to the bed. Her hands were shaking badly. How could she have doubted the will of the Valar? Yet what if the elflings were beyond help by now? What if Elrond had arrived timely and could still not rescue them?

With tears anew gathering in her eyes she reached out a trembling hand to search for a heartbeat in each child. She nearly let out a cry when she could not detect any signs of life in Elladan, the child closest to her. “They cannot be gone!” she sobbed, her movements frantic now.

Startled by the cry Erestor also hurried over to the bed and reached out to Elrohir, searching for a heartbeat He had to concentrate hard to detect the weak pounding beneath his fingertips. If Elrohir was still alive then Elladan would also be, but their mother was too agitated to search her bond with her children to recognize this. She was near a hysterical breakdown which was only too understandable.

‘Elrond hurry!’ Erestor whispered, already wondering what was taking the healer so long. He prayed that all their efforts would not be in vain at the end.

Taking his Lady’s hand he connected his fea with the fleeting spirits of the younglings rooting them in this world until their father was able to take his place. Joining with his Lady’s mind Erestor had a firm grip on the elflings spirit, but he wasn’t sure how long he could perform this. Sweat ran down his face and neck. He guessed that he must hold out a bit longer while Elrond prepared the antidote he had brought with him. After an eternity, or so it seemed to the dark-haired elf, the door banged open and the Master Healer rushed inside.

Elrond momentarily faltered in his steps when he beheld the scene before him. His sons lay unmoving side by side upon the much too large bed, pale and unmoving and for a second he feared they had already gone. Then he chided himself. His bond with his children told him that they were still alive. At the same moment he sensed what the strained faces of his wife and his advisor did indicate. Erestor and Celebrían were struggling to keep the elflings from heeding Mando’s call.

Elrond’s knees went suddenly weak. He had anticipated that the situation was dire but that his sons would be nearly gone he had not even dared to think about. Forcing all of his fears and anguish into the back of his mind, he rushed forward and settled himself, after a quick nod toward the two elves, between his sons’ heads to be able to lay one hand on each boy’s forehead.

Registering this Erestor and Celebrían gratefully relinquished their hold on the children’s fea so as not to interfere with the much more powerful stream of healing energy now flowing into the little bodies. They looked at each other hoping that the healer would be able to call the children back and anchor them in this world until he was able to administer the antidote.

The two elves did not dare to move so that they did not interrupt the healers’ concentration. Elrond had now cradled his sons in his lap, his hands now on the elflings’ chests. He had his eyes closed and was lost in a healing trance.

After some time, Celebrían could not say if minutes or hours had passed, Elrond took a shuddering breath and opened his eyes. Celebrían swallowed when she gazed at her husband. He looked not only bone-tired but utterly drained and worn-out to a degree that was frightening.

For long minutes no one moved or said anything, yet with a look at the still unmoving children Erestor could contain his anguish any longer. “Elrond, will they live?” he whispered not able to detect any improvement yet.

After another wearied sigh the healer nodded. “Yes, I was able to stabilize them but I must quickly give them the antidote, before the lack of oxygen does more damage.”

While Elrond extricated the vial from his pocket, Celebrían´s head jerked up. “More?” she cried when the words had sunk in.

Pulling Elladan´s head into the crook of his arm Elrond took the stopper from the glass. “The antidote may not work. It’s possible that they will never wake. They have perhaps gone too far,” he replied detached.

Erestor shuddered. He knew the healer well. This seemingly uncaring manner was only proof that Elrond had managed to set aside the father and become the healer now; his only chance to act as needed.

Celebrían was shocked speechless. She knew that her husband would not be so blunt under normal circumstances but this situation was far from normal and the healer was beyond tired and sound reasoning.

She watched with burning eyes while her husband fed the antidote drop-by-drop into each little mouth with a patience she could only admire. He had a systematic cadence: administer a drop, evoke the swallowing reflex, wait, and then repeat.

When the glass vial was empty Elrond laid the boys back on the bed and looked up after he checked their heartbeats. Looking first at Erestor and then at his wife he let out a breath. “Now we can only wait but I have some hope that they will pull through,” he said his voice breaking.

Celebrían also lost her battle of self control. Tears spilled uncontrolled down her cheeks and her frame shock. Carefully, so as not to disturb the resting twins Elrond rose and gathered his wife in his arms, able to hold her for the first time since his arrival. Erestor quickly left the room, wanting to give the family some privacy. Before he closed the door Elrond caught his eye and expressed his gratitude with a look.

Erestor only winked at the couple and left the room. Words were not necessary anyway. Besides he had another task to fulfil. He did not know how Elrond had parted with the Eagle but he hoped that the bird was still there so that he could express their thanks.

 

…………………………………..

Later, after he had given another dose of the antidote to the elflings he made sure that the children were breathing with more ease. Now he was confident that they would recover, they had only to wake. Celebrían and Elrond had allowed themselves to briefly leave them.

After changing into more comfortable clothing and eating a meal Elrond had told his wife and advisor briefly what had happened and how he had come to arrive with the Eagle.

Celebrían and Erestor listened in wonder and could still hardly believe that all would hopefully turn out well. The antidote was, of course, also sent to the families in need. Elrond had sent out his staff of healers to aid the parents in the administration of the medicine.

Later that day Elrond again checked on his sons and was pleased to see that the lungs were not as flooded with mucus as before. The antidote did work. His only concern now was the prolonged unconsciousness of the boys.

When he nearly stumbled and swayed after rising from their bed, Celebrían was at his side in an instant. “Elrond, I will sit with them. You must rest now.” She held up her hand at the coming protest. “Elrond please, you are on the verge of collapsing. Please. I will call you if anything changes, but please get some rest. You will help no one if you break down.”

Too weary to protest anyway, the Lord of Imladris nodded and let his wife walk him to his room. His head had barely touched the pillow before he was deeply asleep.

 

……………………………………………………

More then forty eight hours later he felt a feather-light touch on his cheek and jerked upright. He looked at his wife’s face and tried a small smile.

But suddenly his memory caught up and his eyes widened. “The boys?” he asked already rising. Celebrían laid a reassuring hand on his shoulder. “Peace, Elrond, they are all right. In fact they have woken and asked for their Ada.”

The Lord of Imladris was on his feet immediately. He embraced his wife gratefully, forgetting that he wanted to chide her for letting him sleep so long.

He searched his wife’s eyes but only joy could be seen there. The boys had not only awakened but all seemed well otherwise Celebrían would surely have told him that something was amiss. But he needed to see with his own eyes and make sure.

He was still tired but the immediate danger of a breakdown had passed. Together they headed out of his room and toward their children’s chambers.

 

……………………………………………………

Four weeks later some kind of normalcy had returned to the valley. It was not so for the families who had a child to mourn, of course. Two families had decided to leave for Valinor, too devastated too remain here, and two other families had made the choice to stay at least for the time being, trying to find comfort in caring for their other children.

Celebrían silently opened the door to their bed room and smiled at the scene that greeted her. Elrond was lying in the middle of the great bed fast asleep. In each outstretched arm a peaceful slumbering elfling was cradled.

The children had recovered well. Some echo of the near death experience still remained however, they were more cautious in their endeavours, nearly every night they crawled into their parent’s bed, and some weariness still clung to them.

The same could be said for the Lord himself. He had still not regained his full strength. But Elrond was confident that given time all signs would vanish and all would return to normal.

Celebrían was again reminded that her most loved ones were of two races. What was admirable and interesting at some times was frightening at other times.

Quietly seating herself onto the bed she silently savoured the peaceful moment, simply watching them. It did not take long however until Elrond stirred, sensing her presence.

He gazed at her with a smile enjoying the little warm bodies pressed against him. It was not long until they stirred too and sat up, rubbing their eyes sleepily. Unbeknownst to them Elrond quickly checked them over, pleased that only some tiredness remained. When Elrond raised an eyebrow, sensing that his wife wanted to tell him something, she smiled and obliged.

“The sentries have sent word that Glorfindel is arriving”, she announced barely able to finish the sentence over the loud cry of joy from the twins.

When the boys had raced from the room, Elrond rose and kissed his wife. “That is good news indeed”, he whispered and grasped her hand to follow the elflings outside to great his long expected friend.

The couple had composed a letter to inform Thranduil that all had turned out well and that Glorfindel had returned home without incident. As soon as Elrond had made sure of this they would send the letter on its way to Mirkwood. The King of the wood elves would eagerly await this message and be greatly relieved at the news.

Elrond and Celebrían stood on the top of the steps leading into the courtyard and watched while the golden warrior entered the courtyard. Apart from some grime covering rider and horse the healer could detect nothing amiss. Elrond let out a silent sigh of relief.

No sooner had the golden warrior dismounted than he had both arms full with squealing elflings. Glorfindel hold them tightly against his chest clearly sensing the remnants of their ordeal.

However when he looked over the elflings heads into the smiling faces of Elrond and Celebrían he knew there was no reason for worry. He had done so for four long weeks now, not knowing if he would ever have the chance to hold the elflings again.

After Celebrían had relieved the warrior from his “burdens” Elrond and Glorfindel looked at one another. Elrond could clearly see that his Troop Commander was weary but it was nothing that a good night’s sleep, a bath and a hearty meal could not remedy.

Glorfindel however frowned while he saw the weariness in his Lord which had nothing to do with too little sleep. The healer was already worn out at their parting. What had happened here to drain him that much? “You have a lot to tell me, my friend!” he said earnestly while handing the reins of his two horses over to a waiting stable hand. The Master of Rivendell sighed knowing that Glorfindel would not let him get away without proper information.

Hooking his arm around his friend’s shoulder, he smiled nonetheless. “As have you, my friend, as have you!” Glorfindel only laughed.

End.

A/N: many thanks to all that have followed this story. Each review and comment was welcome and really appreciated. Lai

 

 





<< Back

        

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List