Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Cado's Year  by Dreamflower

 

Cado’s Year

At this point, Éomer drew forth a letter. “We have here a report, written by the Ringbearer himself. He states that the missing button was discovered to have come from the jacket of the prisoner Clovis Banks. The prisoners were confronted and subdued by Sir Meriadoc, Holdwine of the Mark. Upon being questioned by the Ringbearer Frodo Baggins, both of the young hobbits confessed to their ill deeds. They hoped by their attack on the embassy to disrupt the good will between the Men and the Shire, and thereby prevent any investigation that would bring to light the treachery of their father Clodio Banks, who had aligned himself with enemies of both the Shire and the High King.” He glanced at the letter once more, and then cast his gaze at the accused. “Do either of you deny any part of what has been spoken here today?”

Clovis shot a look up at the King, and then back down, without saying anything. Cado glanced up briefly, his face white, and said in a low, but clear voice, “N-no, sir.”

There was silence, as Éomer studied the two hobbits intently. Then he nodded as if to himself.

“Clovis and Cado, sons of Clodio, you are members of a race whom we hold in high esteem. Moreover by the reckoning of your own people and in your own land, you are mere youths. Furthermore, we have seen that you acted out of misguided loyalty to your own father, whose own honor was in question. Still, your crimes must be punished.

“As you have no property with which to pay a weregild, which would be owed both to Danulf Danhelm’s son, who was injured by your actions, and to myself, for he is one of my Riders and was representing me in your land, this is my judgement:

******

“Cado, Clodio’s son, you will be bound over to Danulf Danhelm’s son, to live with him and serve him and his family in whatever way seems best to them, for one year and one day. He will bear responsibility for you and answer for your actions. Any attempt to escape will add another month to your sentence, for each attempt that you make. At the end of one year and one day, you will be free to do as you will, and go where you will, save only that you may not return to your own land, from which you have been forever banished.”

(From “The Road to Edoras”, Chapter 44) 

 

Chapter One: Weodmonath*

Cado looked curiously at the babe in his cradle. Cado had not much experience of babies in his own short life so far, but he had to think that this one was quite new. He looked to be only a few months old--and Danulf had been on his way to the Shire at the time.

He felt a large hand descend on his shoulder, and he looked up to see his master grinning. "My Sigeberht was born ten months after the War ended. His name means 'Bright victory' in Westron." The Man chuckled.

Cado gazed at him, wide-eyed, and then blushed. He glanced quickly at Mistress Estrith. She looked amused, but was blushing as well.

Danulf shook his head, still grinning. "My wife was very pleased to see me return home safely from battle."

Suddenly, something occurred to Cado, and he shuddered. Why, if Clovis' stone had struck a bit harder, or if it had been a bit larger, Danulf might not have returned home safely from what should have been merely a peaceful mission to the Shire. For the first time, he began to realize the enormity of what they had done. He glanced at the little family, as Mistress Estrith began to put the meal on the table, the children helping her. He and Clovis could have taken their husband and father away forever, with one careless and reckless action. He remembered that Clovis had been completely unconcerned--his brother never seemed to consider the possible results of his actions--never thought they were "all that bad". He swallowed a lump in his throat.

Danulf did not seem to notice his momentary discomfiture. "I shall give you a choice, Cado. You may sleep on a pallet by the hearth at night, or you may go up to the loft and share the bed of my sons if you please. I think the bed would be more comfortable, but I know that your people are not happy with climbing."

Cado looked at the ladder leading up to the enclosure near the roof-beams. It was nearly ten feet up. He had never climbed so high before.

On the other hand, he was heartily tired of being cold and alone at night. He realized that after his nights in the dungeon at Meduseld, he feared being alone in the dark a good deal more than the idea of climbing a ladder.

He looked up at the Man--his Master now. "I will at least try sleeping in the loft, if you do not think your sons will mind having me."

Later on, he nearly regretted his decision. His stomach was right down in his toes as he awkwardly clambered up the ladder to the loft. Edric had gone up ahead of him, nimble as a squirrel--or a Took. Danwine followed behind him, slowly and cautiously, saying in an encouraging tone “It’s not too far. Take your time, and do not look down.” Of course, as soon as the child said that, Cado felt his eyes drawn to the floor below--it must be six feet or more! But he steeled himself, bit his lip, and kept climbing.

Still when he found himself comfortably ensconced between both boys, he was glad of his choice. The straw tick was fragrant and soft, the homespun blankets warm and smelling of grass and sunshine. Danwine lay upon his right, his back turned to Cado, but young Edric had snuggled up against him and flung one little arm over Cado’s chest. It was strange. He and Clovis had not shared a bed since their late teens. But it was pleasant not to be alone. He slowed his own breathing to match the rhythm of theirs, and soon drifted off into the easiest slumber he had known since leaving the Shire.

He was so very comfortable when he wakened.  It was still dim in the loft, for there were no windows, but there was light enough from below to give him to know that it was morning.  He could hear clatter and bustle below, the sounds of Mistress Estrith bustling about the hearth, and there were some toothsome smells rising to tickle his nose.  Edric was stirring, but Danwine still slept. 

“Boys!” came Mistress Estrith’s voice from beneath the ladder.  “It is time to rise!”

Cado sat up, and he and Edric crawled off the mattress.  Cado began to dress, but Edric went over to his still sleeping brother and pounced on him, laughing and tickling his older brother.

Danwine sat up instantly, tumbling his brother off.  He sputtered something in Rohirric, and then the two boys began wrestling with one another, and babbling away in Rohirric.  Suddenly, Danwine stopped, and glanced over at Cado, blushing.

“I am sorry, Cado!  I forgot to speak Westron.”

“But we were not saying anything important, Cado!”  Edric added quickly.

“That’s all right,” Cado responded.  “I am sure I will learn soon.”  At least, he hoped he would.

The two boys scrambled down the ladder like a pair of squirrels.  Cado shuddered, and then followed much more slowly. 

Mistress Estrith had been busy already.  A breakfast of porridge and honey, ash cakes, ember-roasted eggs and small beer* awaited them.  Cado ate all that was before him, and was surprised when the mistress ladled another portion into his bowl.  He had determined not to ask for extra food, hard though that would be.

“Cado, Danulf tells me that holbytlan are hearty eaters, and that you may become ill if you do not eat enough.  Please tell me if you are hungry.”

He smiled shyly and nodded.  This was good.  Perhaps he would not be hungry all the time. 

When the meal was completed, Danulf spoke to him.  “Cado, we shall speak now of your duties.  I know I seemed to speak in jest yesterday, but one of your duties will be to bear the children company.  In spite of your size, you are nearly an adult of your people—“

Nodding Cado said, “I’m thirty-one.  I’d have been of age in the Shire in two years…”

Danulf nodded.  “This I know.  For this reason, I believe that you will be able to keep an eye on the boys and Gerde sometimes.  You will also assist the boys in some of the tasks they have, such as gathering eggs and weeding their mother’s garden, fetching water or firewood, and other such things.  Are you as good a cook as the other hobbits of our party?”

Cado hung his head.  “I know how to cook a number of things, but I never had the chance to do much of it.  I am not nearly so good a cook, for example, as Jolly Cotton was.  I do know my way around a kitchen or a hearth though—that is part of every hobbit child’s education.”

Danulf nodded.  “Then you may also help my wife with preparing and cleaning up after meals.  She will let you know what she wishes in those matters.”  Danulf sighed.  “I have never had my own servant before.  We are a small household, and I am not a person of importance, but am merely a common man-at-arms in my lord’s éored. I may have other tasks to set before you, such as cleaning my armour.   I will have to think on that.”

Cado nodded.  “What shall I do first, Master Danulf?”

“My father and I must go up to Meduseld this morning.  You will do as my wife directs you until I return.  This afternoon, I may have other things for you to do.”

“Yes, Master Danulf.”

“There is another thing.  While many people living in Edoras speak at least some Westron, there still are some who do not, and few who live in the outlying villages and more remote areas do so.”  Danulf stopped for a moment, and then called out: “Estrith, Danwine, Edric!”

His wife and sons came over immediately.  “While Cado helps you with your tasks, I would like you to teach him some of our words.  He will need to learn to speak Rohirric since he is to live here for so long.”

They all nodded, and Cado was relieved to see that they all looked more pleased than daunted by the prospect.  He hoped he would not prove too stupid to learn.  Though, he reminded himself, he had always done better at lessons than Clovis…

Danulf and Danhelm went out, and Cado began to help Mistress Estrith with the washing up.  He fetched water from the well, and washed the bowls, and learned where she kept the pots and the crockery.  Afterwards, he went outdoors with Danwine and Edric to feed the chickens and gather eggs, and to bring in firewood for their mother.  Then he gathered vegetables from the garden and assisted the mistress to prepare lunch.  He felt a bit more comfortable about his kitchen skills afterward, as she seemed surprised but pleased at how easily he cut up the vegetables and how he knew the proper way to rake the coals to the hearth for the cooking.  All the while, she began to teach him phrases in Rohirric:  “Where is the pothook?” “Do you have the salt?” and other such useful things.  And Danwine and Edric made quite a game of teaching him the names of things: chicken and wall and grain and mud.  He was very surprised at how familiar many words seemed—egg was egg after all, though pronounced slightly differently-- and many other words sounded quite similar to words he knew in the Shire.

It was almost two hours after the daymeal, as the Rohirrim called lunch that Danulf and his father returned.  Then came another sort of lesson.  Danulf explained to Cado what each piece of his armour was, and how it was to be cleaned and cared for.  “I have always tended my own armour,” he said, “since I am no noble lord to have an esquire.  But you are here, and it seems this is a task you can at least help with, and it would be good for you to know.”

He spent a couple of hours under Danulf’s patient tutelage, with occasional interjections from Danhelm, who watched them both with a twinkle in his eye.  Once he had learned the names of each piece of armour and what it was for, he was dismissed to assist the mistress with preparing supper. 

During the evening meal, the children pressed him with questions about growing up in the Shire.  They seemed fascinated with his descriptions of smials both great and small, and the adults listened intently.

“I was quite fascinated by the round doors and windows when we were there, Cado,” said Danulf.  “So far as I know, no other race uses round doors and round windows in their dwellings.  Why do hobbits do so?”

Cado shook his head, feeling very ignorant.  “I am afraid I do not know, Master Danulf.  I had never seen a door or window that was not round before I left the Shire. “

After the meal, Cado did the washing up, and then he accompanied the boys to the loft.  He was exhausted; he had never worked so much in one day in his life.  For the first time, it occurred to him that not having to work at anything was not an advantage.  He knew that his cousin Pippin had always had tasks to do from the time he was out of faunthood.  Of course, until Pippin was fifteen they had lived on the farm, but even after removing to the Great Smials, Paladin had assigned tasks to his children, and not only as punishment.  His father had been scornful of that—“That’s what servants are paid to do!”

He snuggled in between Danwine and Edric, and soon found himself asleep.  Tomorrow he would begin again. 

 ___________________________________________________

*August

A/N: My thanks to Gwynned and Adaneth, for their assistance in finding the information I needed about the possible names for Rohirric months.  It seems quite likely they would have used the Anglo-Saxon names, which were very close to the same month-names in the Shire. The plan is to name each chapter for the month in which the events in that chapter occur.

 





<< Back

        

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List