Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Cado's Year  by Dreamflower

 

Cado’s Year

 

Prologue

Éomer sat back and looked at the man-at-arms.  Danulf had been part of his éored since before Éomer himself had commanded it, back when his uncle Éodred  had been Marshall of the Eastfold.  Danulf’s father Danhelm had been the Master-at-Arms at Aldburg, and had instructed his cousin Éothain, and even himself and Éowyn on their visits there after they had moved to Edoras.  Danulf had always been a steady and reliable Rider, and Éomer knew he was devoted to his family.

“Danulf, I have something to ask of you.”

“Of course, my lord!  You know that whatever you command, I will obey.”

“This is not a command.  This is a request.  I hope that you will agree, but I do not wish you to do so if you feel it would not be for the best.”

Danulf looked confused.  Éomer did not blame him—a Rider was used to simply obeying his lord.

“I have been thinking about the punishment for the two young hobbits.  The older one, Clovis, I will keep here at Meduseld.  He is not trustworthy, and will need a close watch.  I have been thinking.  If they were able to pay a weregild, as the injured party, you would be entitled to part of it.  What would you say if I were to assign the younger one to you as your servant for a year?”

“My lord!  I have never had a servant.  My family is small, and I do not know what I could have him to do.”  He looked rather alarmed at the prospect, and Éomer nodded.

“So you do not think it would be a good idea?”

“I am not sure, my lord.  If he does not stay with me, what would you do with him?”

“I would keep him here as well.”

Danulf gave a thoughtful frown.  “It would be well if he could be separated from his brother’s influence.  He seems to have a more thoughtful nature than the older one.”  He shook his head.  “He’s very young.”

“He is but a youth among the holbytlan, in spite of the number of his years.”  Éomer let the silence stretch for a moment, and then said, “You have four children now, do you not?”

The rider’s face lit up.  “Indeed I do!  My Sigeberht was born while I was away in the Shire!” 

“Three sons, then, if I remember aright.  Is not the eldest named for your father?”

“Almost.  He is called Danwine.  His younger brother is Edric, and my little maid-child is Gerde.”

Éomer smiled and nodded.  “Your Gerde is a winsome child.  I have seen her with her mother.”  He fell silent once more.

Danulf studied the King’s face intently, and then said, “Perhaps it is that my wife could use some help, with so many little ones about.”

“Perhaps.”

“It is but a year.”

“And a day.”

“I will do it, my lord.  I will take him for the time of his sentence.”

“I think it will be well if you do.  If at any time during the year you have reason to find he poses a difficulty for your family, you may inform me, and other arrangements will be made.”

“I believe I can handle him, my lord.”

“Very well.  I will so announce when I render my judgement on the morrow.”





        

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List