Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Left Behind  by Ellie

I cannot believe that you are gone.

So much has happened, so much darkness…so much sorrow…

You could have helped, could have rectified so many of the situations which led to this bitter ending of all you had worked for for so many yéni. But you choose not to. You chose your firstborn son over all others of your family, over all of your people – the family and people who so desperately loved you, who called you atar, who called you king.

If only you had opened you eyes to the slow decline of peace all around you. If only you had consulted with the Valar on the troubles Melkor’s honeyed words and outright lies were causing within your city, within your family. If only you had just once given thought to the children I gave you instead of doting on the child of yours who claimed the life of your first wife.  Atar and amillë you were to him, yet king only were you to the rest of your family. The bitter cup you so frequently stirred has spilled and spread over all of the Noldor staining the calm and destroying right reason. Now the mighty city you worked so hard to build lies nearly empty, devoid of makers and crafters and builders, devoid of the Noldor, devoid of life.

I am devoid of life as well.

All my children are gone – all of those whom I bore and those they made as well – gone to follow your beloved son in his insanity to return to Endorë and seek vengeance. In the end, my husband, you have deprived me of everything I have known and loved. And the first was my loss of you.

What I would not give for you to look at me with your shining eyes, to hold me close and let me hold you the way you did when first we wed. But I fear in my heart, I will never see you again. You left me long before you ever departed Tirion, before you ever died.

Yet, I still love you. In spite of all you have done and not done, I still love you.

A messenger has come saying some of our people – of your people – are returning to the city, led by a prince. I do not think you would care that any member of this family has regained his sense. I know it is not your all too precious son Fëanáro, for reason will never trouble his selfish corrupted mind again – if it ever did. As I rise to join Eärwen and Anairë at the gates, I rejoice that one of my sons has returned.

 





<< Back

        

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List