Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Choices  by Laikwalâssę

Choices

Disclaimer:

see chapter 1.

Chapter 6:  unexpected help

As quickly as his wounded leg would allow, Erestor crossed the short distance and knelt down beside Glorfindel. Reaching out a hand, while searching for a heartbeat, he confirmed that the golden warrior was already unconscious. The pounding pulse beneath his fingertips was much too fast and shallow.

He quickly glanced around to make sure that he would not be surprised a second time, but the two remaining men sat subdued at the base of the tree where Glorfindel had dragged them.

Turning his attention back to his friend, Erestor carefully lifted the shirt on the blond warrior’s back; already thoroughly soaked with blood and sticking to the body. He exhaled sharply when he saw the heavily bleeding wound. He was by no means a healer, but as all warriors were he was trained in how to treat wounds in the field to ensure the survival of the patient until proper help could be given.

The dark haired elf suppressed a sarcastic snort. Proper help could only be provided by the master healer at Imladris. Unfortunately Erestor could not rely on his help. And besides, he was not sure if anyone else knew that he and Glorfindel had left the house, where the two elves had gone or what had happened to them.

Under normal circumstances Glorfindel would not have left Imladris without the usual guards or at least he would have told someone where he was going but these circumstances were far from normal. Erestor could only hope that the next patrol was not too far away and would eventually come to their aid.

Tearing the fabric further away by slicing the shirt open with his knife he realized that the wound was not long but rather deep. He removed a fresh bandage from Glorfindel´s pouch and pressed down firmly on the wound to stop or at least slow the blood-flow somewhat.

While providing the necessary pressure his head jerked around in irritation when one of the men could be heard again. “Don’t worry, elf, he will soon be dead. And then you will be alone, ready to follow him.”

Erestor did not even bother to think of an answer. Closing his eyes briefly he shut out the annoying two men and concentrated on his task. Within the span of a few hours this was the second friend he had to worry about.

He still could not even think about the possibility of the Master of Imladris not surviving the attack. With his death his sons would also be lost, and now another pillar of the sheltered valley was lying at death’s door.

Banishing these thoughts to the back of his mind, Erestor slowly lifted the pad he had pressed against the wound and was satisfied that the blood flow had at least lessened to a small trickle.

Nothing to be content with but it had to do. He quickly wound a fresh bandage around the blond’s torso to keep the pressure partly in place on the wound.

After he had accomplished this he rose to whistle for his horse but groaned immediately when a stab of pain ran from his upper leg right into his skull.

Forced to kneel down again, he looked annoyed at the blood that trickled down his leg despite the bandage Glorfindel had applied. Ignoring this he stood again and clenched his teeth until he could balance his weight.

While waiting for his and hopefully Glorfindel´s horse to come the councillor turned to look at what the men where doing. He was again greeted with a gleeful grin on one face.

“You are at a loss, elf, admit it!” the man sneered. “You will never get us back. You are alone without help….”

“He’s not!” a sharp voice suddenly interrupted before the man could finish his sentence.

 

………………………………………………

Surprised, both the elf and man looked up and Erestor narrowed his eyes until he recognized who had uttered the words. “Legolas!” he said with a smile trying not to let his relief show to the men. “Your timing could not be better.”

Despite the light words Legolas´ returning smile did not reach his eyes. He had clearly noticed the strain in the elf’s voice. Seeing the chief advisor and troop commander of Imladris in such a dire situation had unsettled the young wood elf.

However, the golden-haired elf stepped quickly into the clearing when he saw the councillor sway. With no glance at the men he reached out and grabbed the other’s elbow to steady him. After a thankful nod from Erestor, Legolas helped the advisor to kneel down next to the still body on the ground.

“What has happened?” Legolas asked concerned while also kneeling down, but not without one eye constantly watching the men. Both elves looked up when they heard hoof beats nearing the clearing. Erestor sighed with relief when he spotted his mare and Glorfindel´s stallion canter into the clearing.

Legolas smiled when Erestor´s horse came over and butted his head against his master’s shoulder. Erestor caressed the soft nose in return and beckoned Glorfindel´s white station over.

The great horse had stopped abruptly in the middle of the clearing upon seeing his master lying there unmoving. His head lowered while his nostrils flared and his ears flattened.

However, after the soft call from Erestor he trotted over and lowered his nose into the golden hair of the warrior. He stomped his food when he got no response.

“That’s a long story,” the dark haired councillor finally answered Legolas´ question with a quiet voice and the wood elf paled, when he briefly glimpsed the grief and sorrow in the other’s eyes. Quickly he looked again at the golden warrior lying before them. He was not…? No! He clearly saw that he was still breathing….

What else had happened then to throw the normally so controlled and sovereign Elf-lord off balance? He had always thought that there would be no situation that Erestor could not handle. A wounded friend, even a good friend, could not be the cause for such despair.

When the councillor did not elaborate further the wood elf’s concern grew. He did not want to tell the ancient elf what to do but the otherwise staunch Erestor seemed not as self confident as he normally was. Just as Legolas wanted to suggest something the councillor looked up sharply and tried again to rise.

“I fear I will need your help, Thranduilion. We have to bring Glorfindel back to Imladris.” Legolas only nodded and helped the dark haired elf to rise. Off course he would help. Erestor did not have to ask. The situation became more and more awkward. He could hardly piece the puzzle together. Questions however had to wait for the time being.

“Will you bind the three men to their horses? I will take care of Glorfindel,” Erestor requested with a nod toward their prisoners.

“Two,” Legolas answered with a doubtful look toward the advisor not sure if Erestor would be able to lift the unconscious warrior on top of his horse with the wound to his leg which he could see was bleeding again.

Questioningly Erestor looked where Legolas was already kneeling and saw that the third man was dead. Glorfindel´s push against the tree must have snapped his neck. Only nodding, he quickly grabbed the mane of his horse as the world began spinning again.

More sensing than seeing this Legolas ran to his side again. “Sit down and I will arrange all,” he said softly hoping that Erestor would accept this at least. The councillor was as uncomfortable with this situation as the young wood elf. Legolas sighed when Erestor only nodded and slid down again next to Glorfindel.

With a strange sort of detachment Erestor observed the quick movements of the blond elf. With long trained actions he checked on Glorfindel´s wound and rebound it. He wrapped the tall elf in his cloak to at least hold him warm. After that he stowed all the belongings of the two warriors into their bags.

This accomplished he walked toward the two men, bound their hands behind their backs and secured them on the backs of their respective horses. He was not willing to give them any chance to surprise him while he was occupied looking after the two Imladris elves. The two dead he covered with their cloaks and draped them over their horses as well. All four animals he bound with a leash, nose to tail, to be able to lead them behind him.

Erestor briefly smiled at the determination of the young elf, obvious deaf to the men’s constant protest. He was not cruel and did not cause them unnecessary pain; but he left no doubt, that he did not have much sympathy for them.

After this was done he came over and knelt beside the dark haired councillor. “Are you able to ride?” he asked. Erestor only nodded and pushed himself up. Legolas hovered at the councillor’s elbow ready to help if needed.

With clenched teeth Erestor finally sat atop his mount. After receiving an encouraging nod from the elf, Legolas turned and carefully lifted the unconscious blond into his arms. He gently placed him on the back of his mare. The grey dappled horse had joined them after a short whistle. The mare would make sure the unconscious warrior did not fall off as long as Legolas had not mounted.

Legolas attached the men’s four horses to his and took a last look around the clearing. He narrowed his eyes, when he saw something lying in the grass blinking in the firelight. A look at the dark haired elf showed him that Erestor had seen it too.

He walked over, and snatched the item up. His eyes widened; Lord Elrond’s circlet. He had seen it many times when he was in Imladris on official missions. How did it come here?

While he tried to understand this he spotted another item that did not belong in this surrounding. When he bent down he was surprised a second time. This object he knew well. A beautiful jewelled dagger his father had given Lord Elrond on the birth of Arwen.

With an irritated look he gazed back at Erestor not understanding how these items had come here. After a wink from the councillor Legolas walked back and handed the items over. Erestor stowed them into his pack.

With a sigh he looked the young elf in the eye. “We should depart. I will tell you on the way home.” Nodding, Legolas remounted his horse and carefully grabbed the golden warrior around his waist to get a secure hold. With dismay he realized that fresh blood was already seeping through the bandage on the warrior’s back.

When Erestor gave the signal Legolas spurred his horse forward while making sure that the other four horses would follow. Mercifully the two men had stopped taunting them, sitting now subdued behind their dead companions.

After a while Legolas brought his horse alongside Erestor´s. He carefully looked the councillor over. He knew how stubborn the dark haired elf could be. He would never admit to any discomfort and never ask for help. Seeing the ashen complexion on the other’s face Legolas set his jaw. He would soon be forced to assist without being asked.

Readjusting his hold on the limp body in front of him Legolas looked up in surprise when Erestor suddenly began to speak. Without looking at the wood elf, his gaze directed straight forward, the advisor took a deep breath.

“Four men pretending to be the merchants from Adlen, a small town we often negotiate with, attacked Lord Elrond a few hours ago, left him mortally wounded, robbed what they could get their hands on and left Imladis. After we had discovered what happened I went after them but one surprised me. Glorfindel saved my life but was injured himself. The rest you already know.”

After Erestor had ended Legolas looked at the councillor in shock. Lord Elrond mortally wounded by four men that had forcefully invaded his home? He could barely comprehend this but what shocked him more was the aspect that this was even possible.

Yet he had barely enough information to consider this and now he clearly understood the grief he had seen earlier in the advisor’s eyes.

Riding closer to the other elf’s horse Legolas laid a hand on the other’s lower arm. “I’m so sorry and I hope that the Elf-lord will recover.”

When Erestor looked back at him the gratitude in his eyes for this attempted comfort was quickly replaced by a sadness that made the young elf shudder. He feared that he had heard not all of this story and he dreaded what awaited them at Imladris.

To be continued…………………….

 





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List