Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

In the Mind's Eye  by shirebound

IN THE MIND’S EYE

Chapter 5: A New Conspiracy

'You seem to know a great deal already,' said Frodo. `I have not spoken to the others about the Barrow. At first it was too horrible; and afterwards there were other things to think about. How do you know about it?'

'You have talked long in your sleep, Frodo,' said Gandalf gently, 'and it has not been hard for me to read your mind and memory.’

‘Many Meetings’, The Fellowship of the Ring


Glorfindel left only long enough to summon two members of his personal guard whom he knew could be trusted with any task set before them.

“No one is to enter this room,” he told them gravely. “Unless the Dark Lord launches an attack, or Vingilot itself comes to rest on the front lawn, we are not to be disturbed. Do you understand?” The two Elves nodded, and Glorfindel stepped back into the library, pulling closed the massive, ornate doors. Elrond and Gandalf had not moved, but Frodo was now sitting in Bilbo’s favorite chair with Sam standing next to him. They all looked worried.

“Sit, my friends,” Glorfindel said, arranging chairs in an arc around Frodo. “We are a council of five who must discuss a most serious matter.”

“I fear the Nazgûl have infiltrated Imladris,” Glorfindel announced when everyone was seated. Frodo gasped, and Gandalf and Elrond both looked startled at his words. He proceeded to relate what had occurred at the Ford, and Sam squirmed uncomfortably as his part in the event was spoken of in detail. Glorfindel then asked Frodo to repeat everything he had seen at the Council when the Black Speech rang through the air, and in a halting voice, Frodo did so.

“When first I perceived the hilt of the Morgul blade, it emanated a malevolent presence,” Glorfindel continued. “I shuddered to hold it in my hands, and warned Aragorn not to handle it. When next I saw the hilt, sometime after Aragorn was mysteriously stricken down, it no longer held the malice I had so clearly sensed. I hoped at the time that it had been dissipated when the Riders were swept away, but when I heard Frodo’s account -- and saw Aragorn’s physical reaction to the Black Speech with my own eyes -- I now believe that the dark energy was transferred... to someone who had borne the hilt on his person for many miles. The Black Speech apparently awakened it.”

“I’m trying to understand this,” Frodo said slowly. “Are you saying that the same knife affected me… and Aragorn?”

“That is indeed what I fear.” Glorfindel got to his feet and began pacing in an agitated manner. “I cannot read the language of Mordor; perhaps the words on the hilt warned of this evil.”

“I read the inscription before the hilt was melted,” Gandalf said, speaking for the first time. “Glorfindel, you may be correct. There is one way to be certain.” His gaze fell on Sam.

“I don’t remember what that Black Rider said,” Sam protested. “I… I don’t want to, neither. I’ve not been able to sleep without dreaming about that empty sleeve pointing, that cold, awful voice...”

“And here I thought it was concern for me that was keeping you awake,” Frodo said lightly.

“It was!” Sam exclaimed indignantly. Then he saw that his master was teasing him. “Well, maybe it’s been a little of both, sir,” he admitted.

“Sam,” Gandalf said, “will you allow me to retrieve the words from your memory? I promise that you will not hear them, nor be aware of anything I am doing.”

“If it’ll help Strider…” Sam nodded, and Frodo took his hand. “What do I have to do?”

“Not a thing,” Gandalf said. He knelt in front of the hobbits.

“You won’t make me say those words, will you?” Sam asked.

“I would never wish to hear the speech of Mordor spoken by a hobbit,” Gandalf said softly, “nor have them heard again in this valley.” He lay long, sensitive fingers across Sam’s brow and whispered a few words the hobbits couldn’t make out. Sam’s eyes fluttered closed, and Gandalf swiftly sorted through the hobbit’s recent memories until the incident at the River blazed forth sharp and clear. He whispered again, and watched the scene blur and dissolve. Sam opened his eyes.

“Did you do anything?” Sam asked curiously. He stretched as if waking from a deep, restful sleep. “I feel so much better for some reason.”

“Those evil dreams should bother you no more,” Gandalf said gently, getting to his feet. “Elrond, Glorfindel, we need to discuss what I have learned. Frodo, why don’t you and Sam get some lunch. You must be—”

“No,” Frodo said firmly, crossing his arms over his chest. “The time for secrets is past, and this involves our friend. We’re staying.”

Gandalf hid a smile at the eternal, blessed stubbornness of hobbits.

“Very well,” he agreed. “Hear me, then. I deem that the words spoken by the Dark Lord’s minion were the same as those written on the hilt. In the Common Speech, they are best rendered as:

Through flesh to cleave
Through mind perceive.”

“Do you say that the the hilt-energy was enspelled to seek and penetrate a person’s mind in much the same way the blade sought Frodo’s heart?” Elrond demanded, his eyes blazing. “The Enemy's weapons grow ever more fearsome.” He turned to Glorfindel. “What of Aragorn? How much does he know?”

“Frodo, were you aware of the blade fragment within you?” Glorfindel asked quietly.

“No,” Frodo whispered.

“Then most likely Aragorn is unaware of the evil essence that sits within his mind. I have been watching him closely. The dark consciousness lurks in shadow like a coiled snake; we must assume that it has seen and heard everything Aragorn has experienced since it was awakened.”

“Then it knows everything!” Frodo cried out. “Will it now leave him and seek out the Dark Lord to reveal all our plans?”

“It would not have the power to do so on its own,” Gandalf said, frowning. “I heard rumors of such a spell long ago. Only its creator, or the Dark Lord himself, can withdraw this entity from Aragorn without damaging his mind.”

“I sensed evil enter the valley, but assumed it was only the Ring,” Elrond said. “The Enemy will now be seeking Aragorn with even greater diligence.”

“I have failed in my duty to protect Imladris,” Glorfindel moaned. He looked stricken with grief. “Aragorn cannot be allowed to leave here. Ever. What hope now remains for Men?”

“That would be a last resort only,” Gandalf said reassuringly. “For now, Aragorn is not aware that he is a spy of the Enemy... nor does the consciousness within him have reason to suspect that it has been discovered. We have a small measure of time in which to act.”

“Is there anything you can do?” Glorfindel asked hopefully.

“There might be a way,” Gandalf murmured, “although we may encounter unlooked-for complications. I have much to think about.” He heard two stomachs growl in unison, and smiled down at the hobbits. “Go now to your luncheon, and try not to worry overmuch; perhaps, after all, there is nothing amiss. But do not reveal any of our suspicions to Aragorn, nor to anyone else.”

“Of course not,” Sam said indignantly.

“Hobbits are good at conspiracies, aren’t they, Sam?” Frodo asked.

“Now sir, don’t be bringing that up again,” Sam admonished. He started to hustle Frodo towards the doors.

“You need a good meal or two, Mr. Frodo,” Sam said firmly, “and then I’ll see to it that you’re not disturbed so you can nap before those cousins of yours wear you out with questions. If you don’t mind my saying.”

“Gandalf,” Frodo said, “if you need a babysitter for Aragorn just send him to Sam.”

“Hmmph,” Sam snorted.

Elrond found himself smiling. How these small ones excel in their ability to bring light into the darkest moments!

As Glorfindel opened the doors just wide enough to allow the hobbits to leave, Frodo looked back at Gandalf with a worried look.  He and Sam hurried away, then the doors were once again shut.

“Elrond,” Gandalf advised, “You need to ensure that Aragorn is not assigned any duties outside the valley for some days.”

“Many patrols will be sent out to seek for signs of the Nazgûl,” Glorfindel said, “and Aragorn will wish to see that the Dunedaín villages are well supplied and fortified. What ruse can we utilize to keep him here?”

“Frodo was jesting, but he may have the right idea,” Elrond said, and Gandalf nodded his agreement. “The hobbits have come far, through many dangers, and find themselves in a strange place. It would be most kind of their friend ‘Strider’ to help them adjust to their new surroundings, would it not?  I believe it would please him to do so.”

“That will serve us well,” Gandalf agreed. “And with Frodo so near, the entity will be focused on the Ring above all else. Thus distracted, perhaps I can discern its presence without being detected. And then...”

“You have a plan!” Glorfindel exclaimed, a relieved look upon his face. “I am heartened to hear it.”

Gandalf looked grim. “To cast out such a fragment of evil and leave the host’s mind undamaged…” He paused, deep in thought. “I would be forced to take a perilous course, one without precedent or guarantee of success. Let us hope it does not come to that.”

** TBC **





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List