Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

A Long-Expected Wedding  by Fiondil

Chapter the Fourteenth:

In Which Another Trial is Held and Finrod Faints

Someone had apparently alerted Arafinwë, for even as Finrod and Ingwion were racing down the main stairs leading to the outside, they found the King already coming from another direction, his expression one of mixed exasperation and concern.

"Ingil!" Ingwion exclaimed, his face white.

"And Intarion," Finrod added even as they reached the bottom of the stairs. Ingwion was ready to fly out the door, but Ararfinwë grabbed him and held him close.

"Stay calm," he said quietly. "Take a deep breath and calm yourself. You will do your brother and Intarion no good if you’re frantic."

It took a couple of seconds for Ingwion to comply, but finally he nodded and Arafinwë released him. "Well, let’s go see what all the excitement is about," the King said with a weary sigh and led the way out to the portico where they found the two Maiar just reaching the steps leading up to the doors. Before anyone could say anything, Nornoros spoke. "Fear not! They are both still alive if a little worse for wear. Prince Intarion needs medical attention, though."

"Inti! They killed Inti!" Ingalaurë cried, though it was a bit muffled as his face was pressed against the Maia’s shoulder.

"Hush now, Ingilincë," Nornoros said as he put the ellon down."Did I not say your cousin lives? Now stop this nonsense." He gave the Reborn a slight shake and then handed him over to an anxious Ingwion with a smile.

Arafinwë, meanwhile, was calling for healers. "How bad is it?" he demanded.

"He struck his head on a post," Ninwanyellë replied. "It’s not as bad as it looks, but he will probably need a couple of stitches."

"Has he been unconscious all this time?" Finrod asked worriedly.

The Maia shook her head. "He came to briefly but I put him into healing sleep."

"And these?" the King asked, nodding to the four Elves surrounded by the guards, their faces pale, the ellith clinging to the ellyn.

"Ah, well, I’m afraid they were at the center of the... um... upset," Nornoros explained.

For a moment, Arafinwë simply stood there, gazing about him, then nodded, as if coming to a decision. "Calandil!" he called to his chief guard, "have these four escorted to the blue audience room and see that they are given food and drink and if they wish, they may also freshen up, but I want them under guard at all times."

Calandil saluted and gestured for some of the palace guards to take over as escort as Arafinwë was thanking the city guards and dismissing them and everyone else who had followed, although Nornoros suggested that certain people, including the innkeeper, should be allowed to stay to act as witnesses to what had happened and Arafinwë agreed, assigning other guards to escort these people to the red audience chamber to await his Majesty’s pleasure. Everyone else left reluctantly, disappointed in not being able to see what would happen next. Arafinwë asked Ingwion and Finrod to look after Ingalaurë until called for. Nornoros volunteered to stay with him as well.

"He knows me from Mandos and Lórien," the Maia explained, "and will obey me even if he doesn’t obey anyone else."

The King nodded and sent them on their way. In the meantime, healers had come and Ninwanyellë handed Intarion over to them, explaining softly the nature of his injuries and what she had done to alleviate them. Once the healers were gone with their patient she gave Arafinwë a bow and a knowing smile and faded away.

"And where is Glorfindel in all this?" Arafinwë asked himself, for there had been no sign of the ellon. He called to one of his other guards and asked him to have the grounds searched for Lord Glorfindel. "Tell him nothing of what has happened, but merely say that I desire his presence at this time."

The guard saluted and left. Arafinwë sighed and went inside in search of his wife. It was going to be a long afternoon and no lunch in sight.

****

Glorfindel, in fact, was sitting idly in the maple tree that he’d found to swing in. Swinging had been a balm to his soul for he’d forgotten how much fun it was. Eärendil rather discouraged it, saying it was unbecoming of an Elf-lord of Glorfindel’s status, but he still managed to sneak away to the woods surrounding Aewellond on occasion and find a suitable tree in which to swing. Sometimes he would be joined by some of the village children who were very happy to keep his secret from the other adults. He smiled at that thought as he ran a hand idly along the branch on which he was sitting, listening to the light breeze ruffling the leaves.

He was deciding if he really wanted to go back to the palace for lunch or just sit in the tree for a while and enjoy the afternoon when he saw Hallacar coming along the path with one of the palace guards whom he did not know. The Head Gardener was pointing towards the maple tree. Glorfindel frowned slightly at the sight of them, hoping he wasn’t in trouble for sitting in the tree.

The two neared him and Hallacar looked up with a smile. "Lord Glorfindel. It appears his Majesty wishes to see you. They’ve been looking all over for you, it seems."

"And you knew exactly where to find me?" Glorfindel asked as he jumped lightly down from the tree.

Hallacar smiled even more. "But of course, my lord. It’s my garden after all."

Glorfindel gave him a sly grin. "Odd. I was sure it was his Majesty’s garden."

Hallacar laughed and gave him a wink. "So he likes to think."

Glorfindel joined in the laughter and even the guard smirked. Hallacar waved them away, wishing them a good afternoon as he sauntered off. The guard nodded politely to Glorfindel and they set off to the palace. Glorfindel asked what was going on but the guard merely said that he’d been told to find him and bring him to the King. Glorfindel shrugged, attempting to look unconcerned, but inside he was worried, wondering what he might have done wrong to have Atar Arafinwë send a guard after him.

****

Finrod and Ingwion managed to get Ingalaurë into a bath, thinking it would help calm the ellon, as well as washing away some of the grime and dirt he’d collected while rolling around on the tavern floor. He also had some minor cuts and bruises and Ingwion had one of the body servants run to get some salve. In the meantime, Nornoros filled them in on what had happened as they watched Ingalaurë swish the water around. Finrod and Ingwion exchanged concerned looks. "But where was Glorfindel?" Finrod asked the Maia. "Was he not there with them?"

Nornoros shook his head. "Glorfindel left them to wander in the royal gardens, I believe, leaving them to their own devices."

"Hmph," Finrod said. "He was supposed to keep them occupied until lunch."

"We didn’t want to play anymore," Ingalaurë said in a dejected tone as he settled further into the bath, looking more relaxed. "Glorfi wanted to continue doing archery but Inti and I were bored. We wanted to play with the swords, but Glorfi said we couldn’t."

"And so he just left you?" Ingwion asked, his expression one of disbelief. From the look on his face, Finrod had the feeling that his cousin had been down this road before with his brother.

Ingalaurë sighed and shook his head. "We... I... said he was no fun, that he was as bad as you." He ducked his head so he didn’t see Ingwion turn red with embarrassment while Finrod and Nornoros both attempted vainly to hide their grins.

"So you hurt his feelings and he left," Finrod said to give Ingwion time to recover. Ingalaurë nodded.

"Who’s idea was it to go into the city?" Finrod asked.

Ingalaurë murmured something neither Elf heard. Ingwion reached down and lifted his brother’s chin, forcing him to look at him. "Ingalaurë?" Ingwion said in an enquiring tone and his brother burst into tears.

"It... it’s all m-my fault," the Reborn son of the High King stammered. "It’s my fault and now Inti’s dead."

"Hush now," Ingwion said, kneeling to put a comforting arm around his brother. "Inti’s not dead. He’s just hurt but he’ll be fine."

"I don’t think he’s going to believe you until he sees Intarion awake," Finrod said. "Let’s get him dried off and then maybe he should rest while I go find out what is going on. Atar is bound to order an enquiry."

Ingwion nodded and with Nornoros’ help they got Ingalaurë out of the tub and dried him off. About then the servant came with the salve and they applied it to Ingalaurë’s cuts and bruises before leading him to his bed where they encouraged him to lie down. Nornoros sang an ancient lullaby and soon Ingalaurë was fast asleep. The Maia assured them that he would watch over the sleeping ellon. "I was his primary guardian while he was sleeping in Mandos," he said with a smile. Satisfied, Finrod and Ingwion left in search of the King.

****

They found Arafinwë with Eärwen in the King’s study. Vardamir, Arafinwë’s chief healer and former battle surgeon, was also there, giving them a report on Intarion’s condition. The three looked up as Finrod and Ingwion entered.

"How’s your brother?" Arafinwë asked.

"Sleeping," Ingwion replied. "Intarion?"

"We were just about to hear," Arafinwë said and gestured for them to take seats, nodding to Vardamir to continue.

"Yes, as I was saying, he suffered a blow to the back of his head," Vardamir said. "Not enough to kill him, thank the Valar, but he required three stitches. We brought him out of healing sleep when we finished, long enough to ascertain his mental state. He’s lucid, knows who he is and where he is and what happened, so there’s no worries there. We fed him some willow bark tea and sent him back into healing sleep. He should be fine by tomorrow."

"Well that’s a relief," Finrod said with a smile. "Intarion would be very put out if he missed being able to help make the dinner we’ve planned for Vondo and Vorondil. One upset Reborn is enough to deal with."

"And are you speaking of yourself, yonya?" Arafinwë asked with a glint of amusement in his eyes.

Ingwion snickered while Eärwen and Vardamir hid smiles. Finrod blinked and gave his atar a cool stare, refusing to answer, though there was a faint smile on his lips.

Arafinwë sighed, his expression one of frustration. "So now we just have to find out what happened and where to spread the blame. I noticed that...."

There was a knock on the door and Arafinwë called out for the person to enter. When the door opened, they saw Glorfindel standing there trying not to look uneasy. "Ah, good, you found him. Thank you, Calandil. Come in, Glorfindel, and close the door."

The guard saluted and Glorfindel entered, closing the door. "Is something wrong?" he asked. "I didn’t do anything wrong, I swear! I was just sitting in the maple tree and...."

Eärwen stood and went to the ellon, giving him a warm embrace, kissing him on the brow. "Hush now. All is well. Was it a nice maple tree?"

Glorfindel looked at the Queen in surprise, then nodded shyly. "I was swinging in it. It liked that."

Eärwen smiled and ushered him to a seat. Arafinwë gave his wife a nod, then turned to Glorfindel. "As far as we know, yonya, you’ve done nothing wrong."

"Except to leave Ingalaurë and Intarion to their own devices," Ingwion said with a glare. "You were supposed to be keeping an eye on them."

Glorfindel bristled. "I’m not their minder! They didn’t want to do anything so I said I was going for a walk. I figured they’d come running after me, but they didn’t and frankly I didn’t care!"

He started to rise but Arafinwë gestured. "Sit down, Glorfindel." The ellon reluctantly complied, glowering at everyone. "You are correct. You are not their minder, but I have the impression that when you and they parted company from Findaráto and Ingwion, these two assumed you would keep them out of trouble."

"Well, they assumed wrong," Glorfindel retorted with a sneer. "I was willing to be Ingil and Inti’s friend and companion, but when they couldn’t even tell me what they wanted to do, I decided I wasn’t interested in being with them any longer. They said I was no fun, but they were the ones who were being boring. I have better things to do than stand around waiting for children to decide which game they want to play."

The absolute vehemence of his tone surprised everyone. Finrod and Ingwion exchanged chagrined looks. Vardamir’s expression could only be described as one of ‘professional interest’ as he watched the interplay. Arafinwë glanced at Eärwen, who simply raised an eyebrow. "I see," the King finally said after a long moment of silence. "Well, we still need to ascertain just what did happen, so we’d best get on with it."

"What happened?" Glorfindel asked in confusion.

"Why don’t we go find out together?" Arafinwë suggested as he rose and everyone else followed suit. "Is Ingalaurë able to give testimony?" he asked Ingwion as they went.

"He was asleep when we left him, but we can wake him and get him dressed quicky enough," Ingwion answered.

"Then you and Findaráto go and fetch your brother, and please ask Nornoros if he would attend the enquiry as well. We will be meeting in the minor throne room." The two ellyn nodded and when they came to a juncture in the hallway they took leave of the others, heading for the north wing. Everyone else continued on. Arafinwë called for his chamberlain, asking him to bring everyone to the minor throne room and the ellon scurried off to fulfill the King’s wishes.

Glorfindel walked between their Majesties, his expression one of concern. "Is it bad?" he asked. "I didn’t mean for them to get into trouble. They were being boring and I...."

Arafinwë put a comforting arm around his shoulders. "It’s all right, yonya. No one’s blaming you. Ingalaurë and Intarion just got into a little trouble and we’re trying to straighten it all out."

Glorfindel didn’t seem convinced. "They said I was no fun," he muttered. "I’m a lot of fun. They’re the ones who weren’t being fun."

Arafinwë rolled his eyes and shook his head. Children, indeed. Every last one of them.

In the minor throne room, which was only about thrice the size of one of the audience chambers, Arafinwë settled himself on the throne, replacing the thin circlet of gold that had bound his hair with a more ornate coronet that one of the pages brought to him. Eärwen stood on his left, a hand on her husband’s shoulder, and Glorfindel was asked to stand on his right. In a matter of minutes, guards were showing several people in. The two couples were brought to stand to the right of the throne dais while the innkeeper and the other witnesses were ranged on the left. A few minutes later, Finrod came with Ingwion, bringing along a pale-looking Ingalaurë with Nornoros following. Arafinwë motioned for them to stand before him.

"Sorry we took so long, Atar," Finrod said as he gave his atar a bow. "Ingalaurë insisted on seeing Intarion first. He wouldn’t believe us when we told him he was alive."

Arafinwë gave the Reborn Vanya a sympathetic look before speaking. "This is an informal enquiry to ascertain what happened and why. First, though, we need to understand how it came about. Findaráto, why don’t you begin by telling us what happened after breakfast."

Finrod nodded and proceeded to tell them about the discussion that occurred after Arafinwë left the dining room, continuing on with their confrontation with Mistress Lindessë and Ingwion’s impromptu music lesson. Everyone looked at the ellon in surprise while Ingwion just stood there blushing.

"And that’s when we parted company," Finrod concluded. "Glorfindel, Ingalaurë and Intarion were heading for the training salle and Ingwion and I were about to join you in a very boring council meeting."

The drollness of his tone was such that even Arafinwë didn’t quite catch his son’s meaning immediately. When he did, he raised an amused eyebrow. "Would it help if I had tavern singers come and play for us while we discuss the issues of the realm?"

"It wouldn’t hurt," Finrod said with a smile.

"Atto lets me sing," Ingalaurë said unexpectedly.

"But not in a council meeting," Ingwion retorted as he rolled his eyes. His brother’s demeanor deflated and it looked as if he were going to cry, but Arafinwë staved him off by asking him what kind of archery games Glorfindel had them play and the ellon went into an enthusiastic rendition of the various games and who won and how Inti broke an arrow by mistake and....

"Thank you, Cousin," Arafinwë interrupted smoothly. "It sounds like a lot of fun and I wish I could’ve been there instead of at a boring council meeting." He glanced at Finrod as he said this and the ellon blushed. "So at one point you decided to stop playing."

Ingalaurë nodded. "Inti said it was getting boring so Glorfi had us put everything away, and then he asked us what we wanted to do instead, but we couldn’t think of anything, so he left and Inti said...."

"In a minute, Cousin," Arafinwë said, raising a hand. "I wish to hear what Glorfindel has to say first and then you can continue your narrative."

All eyes turned to Glorfindel, who stood there trying not to fidget. Arafinwë cast him a fond smile. "Tell us what happened next."

Glorfindel shrugged. "Nothing really. Ingalaurë and Intarion couldn’t think of what they wanted to do next and I got tired of standing around waiting for them to decide, so I said I was going for a walk. I figured they would just follow me but they didn’t and by the time I realized it, I was in the orangery. I thought about going back to see what they were up to, but then decided I couldn’t be bothered. I’m not their minder, after all."

This last was said somewhat belligerently. Arafinwë nodded. "As I said before, you are not, though others probably placed you in that role for their own peace of mind." He paused for a moment and then nodded to Ingalaurë. "Tell us what you and Intarion did next, Cousin."

Ingalaurë licked his lips, giving his brother a glance. Ingwion nodded encouragingly. "Just tell us what happened without embellishing your tale."

"Well, Inti wanted to try to open the equipment room in the salle so we could... um... play with the swords," the Reborn Vanya began and several eyebrows went up, "but we didn’t have the password to open the locks because Glorfi made sure we couldn’t hear it when he opened the room for us."

"So you see," Glorfindel said with a sniff at Finrod and Ingwion, "I do so know how to be responsible."

Ingalaurë let his own feelings be known by sticking out his tongue at the golden-haired balrog-slayer and Ingwion cuffed him on the back of his head, giving his brother a stern look.

"Yes, well, tell us what you and Intarion decided to do next," Arafinwë commanded and Ingalaurë complied, explaining how they sneaked past the guards and how they ended up in the tavern and then how they overheard four Elves at the next table talking about the wedding. At that point, Arafinwë began to question the ellon very closely.

"Do you remember exactly what was said?" he asked.

Ingalaurë nodded. "They were saying bad things about Finda."

"And what were they saying?" Arafinwë enquired with a patience born from having raised four children of his own, one of them twice.

Now Ingalaurë hesitated, stealing a glance at Finrod who divine the reason for the ellon’s reluctance. "It’s all right, Cousin. Tell Atar what you heard."

"Well, first one of the ellith said something about all the Exiles being invited to the wedding and then the other said something about Finda and Amarië already being married. I didn’t understand that part, but she made fun of his braids and said he wasn’t a good king because he lost his kingdom. That’s when Inti got angry." He then went on to describe the confrontation and now he was fighting back tears. "They hurt Inti like I was hurt." He put a hand to the back of his head, his expression turning to one of confusion, his eyes darkening with remembered pain. Nornoros quickly took him into his embrace and rocked him into quiescence, murmuring softly in his ear.

There was an embarrassed silence for a moment or two while everyone looked on, then, Arafinwë turned his attention to the four Elves standing with their guards. None of them looked very happy. He asked for their names and occupations, which they gave, then asked who had said what and why.

"Truly, your Majesty," protested one of the ellyn, "we were simply talking amongst ourselves. This one and his friend had no business listening in and if they did not care for what they heard, that is not our problem."

"But it did become mine," Arafinwë said, "when my cousin became injured, though I realize it was unintentional." He paused, looking up at Eärwen standing beside him. Her expression was serene, but the hand on his shoulder had clenched when Ingalaurë was describing what had been overheard and he suspected he would have a nice bruise. He glanced at Glorfindel who had remained remarkably silent through all this. The ellon noticed him and smiled thinly. Glancing at Findaráto, he found himself growing angry, for his son’s expression was one of hurt resignation. He forced himself to take a couple of deep breaths before he ventured to speak.

"And what do you know of this, my Lord Nornoros?" Arafinwë asked respectfully.

"All that Ingalaurë said was true," the Maia replied. "However, Intarion did not attack Master Rómestámo until he made the unfortunate reference to his amillë."

"Ah," was all Arafinwë could say, nodding in understanding. Then, for the record, he had Vardamir give his report on Intarion’s condition. Afterwards, he asked the innkeeper and the others who’d been in the tavern at the time to verify what they had seen. Most of them, the innkeeper included, could only testify to Intarion attacking and what followed. None had overheard the conversation, though one ellon stated that he’d heard similar talk in the market only the other day.

"Though I don’t think it’s anything to worry about, Highness," the ellon said, addressing Finrod directly. "Everyone knows Lady Amarië, for she long resided among us waiting for your return, and many rejoiced when you did and the betrothal was announced, though I can assure you that many tongues wagged at the reason for the continued delay in the wedding."

"I’m afraid that’s my fault," Glorfindel said before Finrod could reply, giving them a wry look. "Lady Amarië’s amillë was being... difficult...."

"Obnoxious, actually," Eärwen interrupted to everyone’s surprise.

Glorfindel wasn’t the only one to raise an eyebrow, though Arafinwë gave his wife a knowing smile. "Yes, well, anyway," Glorfindel continued, "she kept harping about having a Mid-summer wedding. I decided that she needed a good tweaking, so I convinced Findaráto to agree to having the betrothal announced as Lady Almáriel wanted but pointed out that the good elleth never specified on which Mid-summer the wedding should be held."

"And Amarië and I decided this Mid-summer would be the perfect time," Finrod added with a grin and there were several chuckles among the listeners.

"As for the rest..." Here Finrod looked pointedly at the four Elves, all of whom had the grace to look embarrassed. "Even in Amanian society, a wedding is more for the sake of the families and friends of the couple rather than a necessary part of the marriage act, but over time it has become a central part of the ritual, especially where a royal marriage is concerned, so many have forgotten that originally we followed the same marriage customs as those of our Sindarin and Nandorin cousins."

He paused for a moment, stealing a glance at his atar, who simply gave him a nod to continue. "You are, of course, correct that I lost my kingdom, but then all of us who went to Endórë suffered the same loss and I was already dead when my kingdom fell to Melkor’s army. I don’t know if that makes me a bad king or not, but I had hoped...." He gave them a weary sigh and a shrug, then turned to face his parents, his expression now one of exasperation.

"I’m just about ready to take horse to Vanyamar, grab Amarië and high-tail it to Aewellond and be done with it all."

Arafinwë and Eärwen exchanged glances that the others could not interpret but before either could reply to their son’s comment, Ingalaurë burst into tears. Everyone stared at him in concern.

"Háno, whatever is the matter now?" Ingwion asked.

"If Finda and Amarië run away, I won’t be able to give them my present," the ellon wailed.

Finrod stared at the morose look on his cousin’s face and then, for no particular reason, he started laughing, grabbing Ingalaurë and giving him a fierce hug, and the laughter was such a joyous sound that soon everyone was joining in, even Ingalaurë. When they finally calmed down, Arafinwë brought the enquiry to an end.

"I am assuming that since your tavern was set to rights, Mistress," he said to the innkeeper, "that you will not be pressing any charges."

"No, your Majesty," she responded with a curtsey.

Arafinwë nodded, then turned to the two couples. "You are free to go. As no serious harm was intended and Prince Intarion is recovering, I will not exact any punishment, though I would caution you to be more careful of your words in the future when you are in public. You never know who may be listening in." He said this last as he cast a glance at the Maia who rewarded them with a faint, knowing smile. All the Elves understood the implications of that smile and there was much nodding and bowing. Then Arafinwë dismissed them and the guards ushered the people out, leaving the royal family to themselves while Nornoros looked on.

Glorfindel moved to where Finrod and Ingwion were standing with Ingalaurë. "Look, I’m sorry about before," he said with chagrin. "If I hadn’t...."

"It’s not your fault, Glorfi," Ingalaurë said. "I’m sorry I said you weren’t any fun. You’re a lot of fun."

Glorfindel nodded, looking relieved. Finrod and Ingwion exchanged knowing smiles. Arafinwë and Eärwen joined them, the King having removed his coronet and replacing it with his usual gold circlet. "So now that’s all cleared up, do you think we can have lunch now?" he asked in a plaintive manner.

"You and your stomach," Eärwen said with a shake of her head as they began to leave. The others chuckled as Arafinwë gave his wife a kiss on the cheek. Before they reached the door, however, Finrod gave a startled gasp, his face turning white. "Aldundil!" he cried out and before anyone could react, he collapsed to the floor in a dead faint.

****

Ingilincë: Little Ingil, cf. Atarincë ‘Little Father’, amilessë of Curufinwë (Curufin). Ingalaurë was called this by the Maiar in Lórien as a kind of jest, poking fun at their fellow Maia, Ingil, one of Lord Irmo’s chief Maiar.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List